Any opinions on "NestEgg" teardrop trailers?

Woods

Explorer
I got a chance to see trailer #1 today. It's the old style construction, but other than weight is the same as the new style. I gotta hand it to these guys, they have managed to bring a whole new level of technology to tear drop trailers. The biggest problem with one of these, is how to dispose of it 75 years from now. I'm not joking here. The construction is better than the construction of 45 year old boats that I see in the harbor. Boats that I have been in the water all of their life. The fit and finish are top notch. The materials that they are using for the kitchen are also top notch. The pictures on the website show an inflatable mattress. They now have a folding pad mattress which looks to be much better.

The down side (for me at least) is the size. The pod is pretty large and would have clearance issues in rough terrain. Granted I haven't seen the offroad version (same pod and should be out in August), but even so it will have clearance issues. The stock frame is built for the street. The offroad version will be completely different. The offroad version will weigh more. The offroad version will have air bags, and skid plates. I think they still need to address sealing the hinge opening on the kitchen door.

The base trailer is $8500 and the offroad version is estimated to go for $12,000. They have made 12 of them and seem to have a pretty high demand. Production time is 30 days. Every trailer is built per customer spec and they don't seem to have a problem with making changes to anything other than the pod. That's the down side to a composite pod. Changes can't be made without making new molds and molds are VERY expensive.

In August they are going to try the Rubicon Trail. I know the Con fairly well and I'd be interested to watch them get it through Big Sluice.

If you want a state of the art tear drop, that will outlast anything else that I've seen, this may be your trailer.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Just looked them up, They look like a nice trailer.
It will be interesting to see the off road version, If the frame is solid
The fiberglass body should stand up well. Light weight fast construction.
They remind me of the semi sleepers.

Attachments

• IMG_0394.jpg
    IMG_0394.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0353.jpg
    IMG_0353.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0357.jpg
    IMG_0357.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0364.jpg
    IMG_0364.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0368.jpg
    IMG_0368.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0371.jpg
    IMG_0371.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 92

Golden Oldie

Nestegg 2013

It's been a year since the last post on this subject. Has anyone purchased this vehicle? It looks ideal for what I require. How is the drag/gas milage?
I know the company was in the process of moving locations last month but their correspondence has not improved.

Would love to see what this "off road" version looks like. I don't see anything about it anywhere and there is no mention of it in any story at offroad.com. However there is (similarly to what's mentioned here) a story of a Jeep Rubicon taking a Little Guy on an off road trip. Perhaps the details of this being taken "on the Rubicon" by offroad.com were a little misconstrued???

Woods

Explorer
Last I talked with these guys, the offroad version was still being designed. There was a back log on the street version and I'd bet they haven't had time to work on the dirt trailer.

At that time, they had someone who was going to take it through the Rubicon. The trailer is very wide and I told them I'd be impressed if they could get it up Big Sluice.

If I get a few minutes, I'll drive over and see what's going on.

Hawkz

Adventurer
I emailed him again back in April and Vince said the trailers would be available in June. I still only see the one road model on their website...

Last I talked with these guys, the offroad version was still being designed. There was a back log on the street version and I'd bet they haven't had time to work on the dirt trailer.

Not sure what all they are trying to do but it the trailer itself seems sturdy enough. Slap that puppy on a more rigid frame and call it a day already

Golden Oldie

Bought a NestEgg.

Not sure what all they are trying to do but it the trailer itself seems sturdy enough. Slap that puppy on a more rigid frame and call it a day already

Checked them out the end of 2013. Finally took possession in Jan. 2014. Love the lightweight trailer. Can push it into position on any site. That helps when you are not as strong as a man. Few kinks to work out especially the A/C. The vents come through the side door which is positioned too low and close together. I live in Arizona so that is very necessary. Awkward to open and close the hatch when it is hooked up. The underneath the bed storage units were not needed. Should have held off on those. Sorry guys, I didn't need the off-road model but they looked pretty good.

ronner

Mild offroad is out, now what is next?

It looks like Nestegg has the "mild offroad" version now on their website. Anyone know if they are planning a more aggressive offroad version? Larger tires would be a plus. Rock guards along the edges would be useful too. Does anyone know what the bottom of the trailer looks like? I do like the simplicity without the flapping walls/roof that a tent has. Tried to call them today, but got VM, so I'll try later. I'll post up if I get some details.
Ron

Woods

Explorer
I think that one's being built for Julie Block. She doesn't do any rock crawling. She's more of an overlander. That trailer's got all the whistles and bells though.

It looks like Nestegg has the "mild offroad" version now on their website. Anyone know if they are planning a more aggressive offroad version? Larger tires would be a plus. Rock guards along the edges would be useful too. Does anyone know what the bottom of the trailer looks like? I do like the simplicity without the flapping walls/roof that a tent has. Tried to call them today, but got VM, so I'll try later. I'll post up if I get some details.
Ron

GregShooter45

Nestegg off road

Ron

The off road trailer that Nestegg is building is been done to my specifications. Moab rims and mudder tires, XO skeleton with a full lightweight skid plate. It has been designed for two weeks dry camping. The wife likes to go to Death Valley, no need to go for propane, water or gas. Has all the lights, bells and whistles you would expect. front view.jpgfront view.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz