Any one try this lift system??

docdave

Aspiring overlander
This is the system used in Phoenix campers.... it works really easy, probably not with a heavy or loaded roof, but some owners have complained that it collapses unexpectedly. Phoenix has started supplying a retaining strap of some kind to prevent this. The system is supposed to over center and lock in place, but may not always work.

wvtradbow

Observer
I was wondering where that design came from,I never seen a Phoenix in person,but it looked really clean,If I can figure out some kind of slides,I'm going to make it for the old Grandby,I hate those popup panels FWC uses especially on my old one,I'm sure they work great on newer ones but mine is a mid 80s and it's been dropped,knocked around and beat up over the years so nothings square or level anymore ands its vital that it's square for those popup panels to work like intended.Plus my roof is very light I just want it to go up and down in the same place..

kerry

Expedition Leader
X2 on Heco. I love mine. I use a longer handle made from a sailboat winch handle. I pick up the roof and 2 canoes each of which is around 70lbs or 3 65 lb kayaks all the time. Heco advised me it was not wise to do this. I ignored their advice. So far no problems. Probably raised and lowered it 60 times or more with those loads. I did look at a camper once with the lifting system linked in the first post. I immediately realized it was a bad design if you wanted to carry something on the roof.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
X2 on Heco. I love mine. I use a longer handle made from a sailboat winch handle. I pick up the roof and 2 canoes each of which is around 70lbs or 3 65 lb kayaks all the time. Heco advised me it was not wise to do this. I ignored their advice. So far no problems. Probably raised and lowered it 60 times or more with those loads. I did look at a camper once with the lifting system linked in the first post. I immediately realized it was a bad design if you wanted to carry something on the roof.

If you've got someone with you have them push up on the roof at the beginning of the cranking. That's where the most stress is on the system. I cranked mine up solo dozens of times in windy Baja conditions with two longboards and a shortboard up there. Using my brain now,I'd have a friend or my wife help the Heco system.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I did have both my wife and daughter push up initially and finally I realized I couldn't tell the difference when they were pushing and when they weren't so now I just crank. I figure someday I may have to replace some parts on the Heco but so far it appears completely up to the task.

I love the system in my Hallmark, it's their super manual which I believe is a modified Heco. It's rated for lifting 500lbs loaded on the roof. With a cordless screw gun, it's about as effortless as it can be (unless the battery runs out). Haven't had to do it full manual yet, imagine with the thread pitch on the screw jack, it would probably take a while to raise/lower by hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles