Any one into snow shoes here?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Hltoppr said:
Telemark gear with climbing skins works very well too.
That's my chosen method of b/c travel. We bought snowshoes (I have Atlas ones, pretty big) that I used about 3 times before I concluded that there had to be a better way. I picked up some used freeheel gear at a swap years ago, hacked away at learning the telemark turn and haven't looked back since. Never tire of that randonnée joke, either.

Sloan

Explorer
Check with your local REI, they usually have clinics this time of year where you can try out all of the brands they sell.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I have a couple sets of Sherpa snowshoes. I really and truly don't think there is a finer set of snowshoes made, but the company has gone MIA. When I managed a mountaineering shop, all of us had access to all brands and Sherpa shoes were so far above the rest it was nuts. Second on our list was Redfeather.

I agree with the other poster about conditions and usage being a factor. I have a pair of MSRs I keep around as loaners for friends (they can't use my $400 sherpas!!). The one thing I dislike about the MSR shoes is the fact they feel like walking on trash can lids in some conditions. And they're a little floppy.

One of the reasons the Sherpa shoes rule is the fact they have a slight bit of resistance in the pivot of the binding. If you're in powder it only takes a tiny bit of snow collected on the tail of the shoe to force it to drag slightly. That keeps the shoe from flipping snow up your backside and it means you don't have to LIFT that snow. When on harder surfaces, the tail is able to lift. Dragging tails can be a PITA in some conditions.

Fun stuff. If you can locate some Sherpas and you don't buy them....tell me...I'll buy them. They're the Defender 110 of the snow shoe world.

And Dave is correct about tele gear being the best of the backcountry travel modes. Skins, pins and grins!!!!!!!!!!

KMR

Adventurer
I used the Atlas and Tubbs pretty extesivly for backcountry hiking, hike up to snow line, strap on the shoes and go from there.

These are the best snowshoes I have ever used.
Hands down, these blow them all out of the water.
JMHO
MSR Lightning Ascent

teotwaki

Excelsior!
MSR Denali Evo Ascents ROCK! They have the heel lift bail that makes all the difference in steep terrain. They are agile and grippy as well as fitting well.

Jim's Lass

Bergger said:
My wife and I still use the wooden ones I made about 20 years ago! They take a little while to put on but work just fine. My 8 year old just got a pair so she can start to join us.

I was just reading through old threads and just had to add.
Kids can be a lot of fun to watch learning to walk in snow shoes. I remember watching one of our daughters (six or seven years old at the time) get tired of using the ski poles while trying to walk. Then she stopped and just dropped the poles and leaned forward and kept trudging along. They were some old LL Bean kid snow shoes.

Happy New Years,
Marilynn

DenCo40

Adventurer
KMR said:
I used the Atlas and Tubbs pretty extesivly for backcountry hiking, hike up to snow line, strap on the shoes and go from there.

These are the best snowshoes I have ever used.
Hands down, these blow them all out of the water.
JMHO
MSR Lightning Ascent

I agree. both my wife and I have these. they are the best yet!!

Clay

Adventurer
I'm still using my Atlas shoes from about 4 years back now, they are pretty good, no complaints, but the MSR shoes sure do look nice!!

We are expecting a storm that will bring up to 10 FEET of snow this weekend, so I would say that snow shoeing season is officially ON! I'm ready to get my 4 year old daughter into it this year, but the snow shoes that look like monster feet just seem a little too weird! Any thoughts on kids shoes?

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
DaveInDenver said:
That's my chosen method of b/c travel. We bought snowshoes (I have Atlas ones, pretty big) that I used about 3 times before I concluded that there had to be a better way. I picked up some used freeheel gear at a swap years ago, hacked away at learning the telemark turn and haven't looked back since. Never tire of that randonnée joke, either.

Same here.. With snowshoes really depends on your terrrain. If steep and knarly snowshoes go a long way. Better up steeps but slower on the flats than skins. I was a snowbaorder through the 90's before I switched to Tele also (can't believe I've been on them almost 10 years now) so I used snowshoes extensively in the backcountry.. The absolute best snowshoes I've ever had are Sherpas. They are like tubbs or Atlas but super heavy duty, and rubber roping like a traditional snow shoe aka traction up hil.. Combined with the crampons, on a full pivot, they are ************. But over $200 new, maybe even $300 these days. But these are "for life" type snowshoes. The Atlas and Redfeather and most Tubbs are all plastic, aka like skis as far as traction. Good for flats and recreational use... For mountaineering they work but are not the same...

I just bought Carrie some Red Feathers for christmas. On sale and inexpensive, wondering how they will turn out but they are recreational. A little big for her but we have a lot of deep snow currently... Here is the link:

[OK they are all sold out at REI. I got them for about $100 shipped: Redfeather Hike 30" 2006 closeout)

Sharkman

Observer
Jim's Lass said:
I was just reading through old threads and just had to add.
Kids can be a lot of fun to watch learning to walk in snow shoes

My son and I went Snowshoe/camping last weekend. He has the kids version MSR (good up to 90lbs). The bindings are the same basic design as the adult MSRs and work very well.

Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94