Any one dumb enough....

zimm

Expedition Leader
Does anyone know of a chart with 308 ballistics down to say... 9"? its basically elon musks flame thrower at that point, but i got an itch for a 308 pistol.

remington had those xp100's in some rounds that were a tad overbore for the application, but i cant find any external ballistic data. maybe an old load manual?

zimm

Expedition Leader
Read the rifleshooter link, and I had to ask myself WHY??? lol

The thought was a second upper with cases cut and necked to accommodate a 450gr hornady 416 boat tail, subsonic. the powder ought to be fairly burned in a 9" upper. thats just a toy project though and the 308 upper would make it so the new pistol lower wasnt a complete waste.

Explorerinil

Observer
I got a paratrooper fn fal, fold the stock in and it’s basically a .308 pistol... you wouldn’t want to shoot it like that, trust me it’s bad.

Explorerinil

Observer
Does anyone know of a chart with 308 ballistics down to say... 9"? its basically elon musks flame thrower at that point, but i got an itch for a 308 pistol.

remington had those xp100's in some rounds that were a tad overbore for the application, but i cant find any external ballistic data. maybe an old load manual?
Just step it up and get a .300 win mag pistol.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Just a whole lot of wasted powder at that point, can't imagine the noise either!

I'm tempted to pick up one of those .410 pistols though since you can be so...creative with the reloading

Although it makes me think fondly of back in the day shooting black powder pistols, you'd empty the cylinder fanning the hammer, then have to wait for the all the smoke to clear to see if you hit anything. They never seem to replicate that in the Westerns

zimm

Expedition Leader
keep in mind, it's a pistol, with the "arm grip" stock like my 300 blk.

about recoil. high power rounds, l find are sometimes better in a pistol. held correctly youre looking at 12-16 inches of recoil absorption.

my long colt loads check out at 25 ft-lbs in my 3lb ruger. the 308 load in a 9 inch barrel, in a 7 pound ar style pistol is 15 ft lbs. its not going to roll like pistol, but thats a significant drop in energy.

The impulse from an air weight 357 or 44 mag, would worry me more than a short 308.

in a 416whisper upper on the same lower, you're looking at around 13 ft lb of recoil. lighter than the 308.

Why not consider 450 Bushmaster? Companies seem to be chambering lots of stuff in that caliber and you'd have an existing brass supply.

I used to shoot metallic silhouette back in the '80s and the guys shooting the XP's in 308 and the different wildcats started wearing full face motorcycle helmets over ear protection due to the concussion. Just sayin'....

zimm

Expedition Leader
Why not consider 450 Bushmaster? Companies seem to be chambering lots of stuff in that caliber and you'd have an existing brass supply.

I used to shoot metallic silhouette back in the '80s and the guys shooting the XP's in 308 and the different wildcats started wearing full face motorcycle helmets over ear protection due to the concussion. Just sayin'....

because im looking at a toy to play with that utilizes the bigger nato rounds. I find buying the ar style lower in a pistol registration has much more potential for fun and versatility.

i'd put a kx3 style flash can on it, not a muzzle brake, but i'm sure it'd suck to be beside it.

Crazy thought: isn't the 44 Auto Mag cartridge derived from the 7.62 nato? That would potentially open up a variety of bullet wts and types. for sub- and supersonic.

Does someone currently mfr an AR-10 frame pistol? I know of SBR's like the SIG 716 with a 10" barrel, but don't recall any pistols...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles