Any of you running 235/85/16 tires?

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Tons of 16 options in E. I wholeheartedly suggest E's if you're off-roading. They hold up. At least the couple sets I've had and my friend have had all were quite capable and dependable.

tacollie

Glamper
Make sure you check the tread depth on the 255/75r17. Many of them aren't the same depth as tires in other sizes. I went from the Hankook Atm in a 255/75 17 p rated to a 235/80 17 e rated on my last Tacoma. I didn't notice a change in the ride. The 235s had more tread depth and I didn't have to use my plug kit anymore. They also lasted a lot longer.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Tons of 16 options in E. I wholeheartedly suggest E's if you're off-roading. They hold up. At least the couple sets I've had and my friend have had all were quite capable and dependable.
I'm a fan of load range E tires as well, I find that they're tougher over time when you spend dozens of weekends annually working them. The little scrapes and abrasions don't accumulate into torn sidewalls as soon.

roving1

235/85R16 is the supreme awesome bestest size. LOL

I honestly have no idea what all the E range complaining is about. I live in Detroit where the roads are absolute ******** and at least going from wider D range to narrow E range it's nearly negligible. Maybe if you live where the roads are glass you can tell but buy a damn Buick if you want to float around everywhere. Yes E range skinnies will take a few less psi for the same airing down effect but so what? They are so much more indestructible and way less likely to debead. Way less chunking from rocks too I find. Again I don't get the criticism "I don't like the harsh ride in the city and I don't like they way they air down because I also care about being so super hard core off road to the max, but not if they ride a little harsh yo" Get out of here with that lol.

E range skinnies are not at all overkill for a small light truck, they work great. Every single tire metric is better with my E range skinnies than before except maximum dry grip on a super smooth high grip high speed turn, which I don't care about since I am not autocrossing/track day'ing my 4wd Taco.

Last edited:

Climberclimb

Observer
I just put some 235/85/16 Falcon Wildpeak AT3 tires on my Tacoma. E load, and couldn’t be happier. On road very smooth ride, off road amazing ride! I cannot believe the difference. I was worried it would be a harsh ride compared to my p rated Wildpeaks in 245/75/16 size. At highway speeds truck feels great and tracks well. Overall I am very happy with the tire size. Truck is a 2015 Tacoma double cab 4wd.
Cheers

scandy

I just put some 235/85/16 Falcon Wildpeak AT3 tires on my Tacoma. E load, and couldn’t be happier. On road very smooth ride, off road amazing ride! I cannot believe the difference. I was worried it would be a harsh ride compared to my p rated Wildpeaks in 245/75/16 size. At highway speeds truck feels great and tracks well. Overall I am very happy with the tire size. Truck is a 2015 Tacoma double cab 4wd.
Cheers
Did you notice any difference in ride quality between the P and E tires? Im looking at wildpeaks too, and debating between 265/75/16 in a 4 ply, or 235/85/16 in E. I'm leaning towards the 265 because its 5 lbs lighter, and i was assuming the 4 ply would ride nicer which is a big deal to me with how much washboard/ rough gravel roads i drive where i dont want to air down.

Climberclimb

Observer
Did you notice any difference in ride quality between the P and E tires? Im looking at wildpeaks too, and debating between 265/75/16 in a 4 ply, or 235/85/16 in E. I'm leaning towards the 265 because its 5 lbs lighter, and i was assuming the 4 ply would ride nicer which is a big deal to me with how much washboard/ rough gravel roads i drive where i dont want to air down.
Hey Scandy
I found the E ply to make the ride way better on gravel. Perhaps the weight of the tires helped keep the truck from bouncing? IDK, but they sure improved gravel roads for me, which I do alot. Yeah, I did take a hit on mpg’s due to the weight and size. My kids both immediately noticed a better ride with the E rated tires also. Gotta say these tires on snow and ice covered roads are very good. We had some crap conditions this year and I never felt uneasy driving the Taco. I even let my son, a new driver, take the truck to the ski hill in icy conditions. Overall I am very pleased with the tires. Hope this helps. Cheers

scandy

Hey Scandy
I found the E ply to make the ride way better on gravel. Perhaps the weight of the tires helped keep the truck from bouncing? IDK, but they sure improved gravel roads for me, which I do alot. Yeah, I did take a hit on mpg’s due to the weight and size. My kids both immediately noticed a better ride with the E rated tires also. Gotta say these tires on snow and ice covered roads are very good. We had some crap conditions this year and I never felt uneasy driving the Taco. I even let my son, a new driver, take the truck to the ski hill in icy conditions. Overall I am very pleased with the tires. Hope this helps. Cheers

Damn just got P rated 265 75 16's mounted. More because of weight. really interesting that you found the ride smoother with E's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior