Any of you running 235/85/16 tires?

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I've run two sets of Goodyear MT/R and currently have Cooper Discoverer ATs on my 4Runner. I plan on switching back to Wranglers in the next 30 days, but this time Duratrac.

ecgreen

I run 235/85 Cooper STT Pro. Perfect size if you like skinny but don't want to deal with the hassles of going up to 33s. It also gives my friends something to make fun of me about lol.

Last edited:

DJB1

I have been salivating over this thread for literally 5 years. I have always adored the basic, utilitarian end of the automotive spectrum. I'd probably die from pleasure overload if I had a surplus Willys MB. But my single cab Tacoma on ST Maxx 235/85r16's satisfies the lust.

Attachments

• IMG_0306 (1).JPG
    IMG_0306 (1).JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0595.JPG
    IMG_0595.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0604 (1).JPG
    IMG_0604 (1).JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0616 (1).JPG
    IMG_0616 (1).JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 78

rusty904

Some nice looking trucks here, I'm sold on the 235's over 265/75/16's. I'm looking at the cooper S/T's, the S/T maxx, and the BFG KO2. Anyone have experience on one or more of these treads? Don't really understand the different intended applications of the S/T and S/T Maxx. Which one has better road manners? The Discount tire guys don't know or stock the Coopers so they tried to sell me on the general grabbers instead.

deadbeat son

Explorer
I'm also posting an update on my 235/85-16 BFG AT/KO. I've had the tires for over 3 years now. Although I haven't come across any drawbacks to the size as compared to a 265/75-16, the only benefit I've found is price. I'll likely be switching back to a 265 when these wear out.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I agree with the post above, though I have found some differences. I did have slightly better gas milage with the 235s, I found I was a little less stable through turns at speeds I shouldn't have been driving. With the 265's, the truck handles like a go cart. Again these trucks are not designed to be raced around in but the bigger footprint feels more stable. I also used 4wd less last winter and use it less on wet grass. Not sure if it's the larger tire print or what??? If I were strictly looking for gas savings, I would stick with the 235's they weigh less and give the truck have a bit more get up and go and I found no drawbacks to them at all. I just ended up getting these 265's for the same price as the 235's brand new and tried them out. I'm not sure which tire I'll put on next time around.

If I had an 06+ 4cylinder Tacoma again, which will prob be the replacement for my current truck when the time comes (I really need the back seat space again) I wouldn't even dream of getting the 265's without a re-gear. I hated those tires on my 08. Killed the gas milage, killed the throttle response. I have 4.30's in my current truck and the 08 had 4.10's and what a huge difference that made. So on the newer trucks I would only get the 235's and they look really nice on an access cab.

Sorry I don't have pictures to post.

-jorge

ecgreen

I will agree that my 235s are a bit squirrely with respects to high speed maneuvers. I love my 235s and really I see no reason to go any bigger. EVen so, I would be really tempted to go 255 if I regeared.

coop74

Old Camping Dude
I too have joined the brotherhood of the 235/85 tire. On the Nissan frontier it rolls a ton better and even seems to help a bit with the turning in a cornfield syndrome.

20151004_151855.jpg

osi4

I'm looking at 235s for a '89 4x4 Pickup, but have only been able to find steelies in a 16x7. Anyone know of a (hopefully black) alloy in this size for these trucks?

Also, any feedback on the KO2 option?

p nut

butter
I'm looking at 235s for a '89 4x4 Pickup, but have only been able to find steelies in a 16x7. Anyone know of a (hopefully black) alloy in this size for these trucks?

Also, any feedback on the KO2 option?

Simple. Just find any 3rd gen 4Runner or Tacoma 16" wheels and spray paint black. Should be cheap and simple.

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
Hey guys bringing this thread back to life. I am seriously considering this size tire for my '16 frontier. I am currently looking at the grabber or cooper at3 LT. one question though for my spare tire, I currently have a very new cooper stmaxx in 256/75/16 size for my spare. would this be safe to use as my spare or should I be looking at getting 5 tires of the same size?

(none)

Adventurer
Hey guys bringing this thread back to life. I am seriously considering this size tire for my '16 frontier. I am currently looking at the grabber or cooper at3 LT. one question though for my spare tire, I currently have a very new cooper stmaxx in 256/75/16 size for my spare. would this be safe to use as my spare or should I be looking at getting 5 tires of the same size?
your 265 spare will be fine.

A few things to consider, because i was in a similar situation to you earlier this year. I have a '17 Frontier.
-I believe all 235/85s are going to be E rated. Heavy tire with a heavy sidewall you really don't need.
-16 sizing really decreases your available options.
-Many C or even P rated tires are available in 265/75 16

I kept looking all around for the best solution and i settled on buying a set of 17" wheels off a Frontier SV and added a set of 255/75 17 BFG KO2s. A pretty light tire setup (the tires are C-rated), wheels weigh almost the same as the stock 16s. Just a suggestion to consider.
If i didn't end up with the 17" wheels, i was going to C-rated 265/75 16s (there aren't many options...). Then again, i had no problems wheeling the stock P-rated AT/Ms. They took the truck all throughout NC/SC/TN and all the big trails in Colorado (Engineer Pass, Black Bear, etc).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles