Any newer expo prepped F-150's? Looking for ideas....

fnjeep314

Observer
I just picked up a 2012 F-150 Super Crew FX4 EcoBoost (3.5L V6 Twin Turbo, incase anyone is wondering). I have been out of anything 4wd in a few years, and I missed it terribly! Now I just picked this up and I am looking at ideas to make it functional. I have looked over on the other F-150 forums, and there are a ton of people with jacked up trucks with huge tires to go troll around the mall and to drive across a grass field. That's not really my thing, I want functional for camping in the woods and travel capable. My FX4 came with a rear locker, so that was a major thing out of the way, but I am looking for a good lift/tire size configuration that will be functional and not cumbersome. I need to be somewhat mind full about height as my GF is only 5'2"! Plus we have 2 car seats too, so the interior is basically used. I am thinking about doing a cap with some sort of platform configuration with a RTT on the cap. The other option I am thinking is having an expo trailer with a RTT on it instead.

Anyway, I was really curious to see what others are out there doing!

Here is a dealer pic of my truck. Please tell me what you think!
2012_ford_f_150_fx4_kennesaw_ga_98710032954027314.jpg

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Sexy looking truck! Love seeing a fellow F-150 guy on EP!

First of all if you're not a member of f150online.com I highly suggest it. A bunch of awesome helpful people who know everything about f-150's.

Secondly, I would say, since you have two kids in the mix, get a trailer with a RTT. I think you'd have much more room and wouldnt be so cramped.

Keep us posted.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I just sold mine, and kept all the 'goodies'- leveling pucks, tires(285/75-17 Toyos)/wheels(Raptor), rear air bags, etc. I also have a very nice front skid I never got mounted. All available for sale I might add...

Attachments

• DSC_0147.JPG
    DSC_0147.JPG
    402 KB · Views: 47

fnjeep314

Observer
Sexy looking truck! Love seeing a fellow F-150 guy on EP!

First of all if you're not a member of f150online.com I highly suggest it. A bunch of awesome helpful people who know everything about f-150's.

Secondly, I would say, since you have two kids in the mix, get a trailer with a RTT. I think you'd have much more room and wouldnt be so cramped.

Keep us posted.

I will definitely check out f150online.com. I am new to new Fords. I had an 89 Bronco, but this is a night and day difference! I was leaning toward the trailer too!

All available for sale I might add...
Just thought you would toss that out there, right?! HAHA!

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
...and there are a ton of people with jacked up trucks with huge tires to go troll around the mall and to drive across a grass field.

This kills me. I'm on diesel forums, and they are the same way. I call 'em "mall crawlers". Many trucks taller than mine... with high quality, very expensive parts, and owners scared to go over a speed bump.
Unless you are going into some really gnarly places, a 33" or 35" tire is all you should need. I went up 4" and put 35s on my F250. (IMHO a full size with 35s is perfect) I can go over some surprisingly rough terrain for such a large, long truck. It's tall, wife hates it. I got her a step stool. A full size truck is nice to live with, and a crew cab even nicer, but unless you go up some, she will be easy to high center. It all depends on where you plan to go... A truck with higher ground clearance can go on any street, a lower truck can't get down every trail. Big tires are good if you plan to go in more remote areas, but you will pay for it at the pump.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Sorry, not trying to hijack, but a means for someone to see the end result, and offer a few build ideas.

As far as milage concerns, the new Toyo A/T IIs are aggressive enough for moderate + wheeling and are extremely quiet- and best of all don't have a negative effect on fuel consumption.

Another note for folks buying- look at fuel capacity of the CC long (6') bed...

ttravis5446

Adventurer
I had 34.something inch Duratracs (can't remember the metric size) on the stock 20" rims on my 2010 F150 with no suspension mods and not too big of a hit to mileage. I never took it rock crawling or anything, but in mud and snow that truck was unstoppable. I really miss that truck.

no-pistons

Adventurer
I recently finished prototyping a full skid plate / chassis protection system for the F150 4WD Ecoboost. Not sure on pricing, but soon to be on the market. For suspension, we mainly use Bilstein. The 5100 front shocks will allow an adjustable lift of 1-2" to level the truck.

IMG_1657.jpg

IMG_1645.jpg

IMG_1646.jpg

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Just add a leveling spacer and Bilstein shocks. 33" tires.
-
Then remove those terrible side steps so the GF can get in without the step getting in the way. Use the grab handle. LOL. Doctors specializing in feet, backs, and legs love those slip/tripping boards.

fnjeep314

Observer
Just add a leveling spacer and Bilstein shocks. 33" tires.
-
Then remove those terrible side steps so the GF can get in without the step getting in the way. Use the grab handle. LOL. Doctors specializing in feet, backs, and legs love those slip/tripping boards.

I bet those docs do. The dealer practically greased the steps and I have tried to get them cleaned off, but I have already slipped a few times. I always open the door for my gf, so I make sure to be right behind her if she slips. I don't care if I get hurt, but I would be pretty pissed if she got hurt.

I recently finished prototyping a full skid plate / chassis protection system for the F150 4WD Ecoboost. Not sure on pricing, but soon to be on the market. For suspension, we mainly use Bilstein. The 5100 front shocks will allow an adjustable lift of 1-2" to level the truck.

That's a really nice looking skid setup. I am glad to see that there is someone doing stuff like this specifically for the ecoboost. I have been thinking about doing Bilstein's on my truck. I used the 5150's on my old(2001) Jeep Grand Cherokee. I loved them on that rig. It was a nice smooth ride. When I look at what other F150 owners are doing(on other forums), they are all about Rancho. Had them on my old jeep and hated them, swapped right over to Bilstein. So you are running the Bilstein 5100 front and rear?

There is a thread about set up camper shells. Lots of ideas in there.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...e-some-quot-set-up-quot-Regular-Camper-shells

Funny you should post that up, I was just looking through it the other day getting ideas! I have been stalking the travel trailer forum too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94