Any longtime riders quit for good?

jaxyaks

Adventurer
My riding has been limited to commuting, no time for long rides anymore. I still enjoy commuting on the bike anytime the weather allows.

REDONE

[s]hard[/s]MEDIUM Core!
At least some folks agree with me that it is getting more scary to ride on the road, I thought it was just my imagination.
)

You're not alone. My dad was a Harley guy the whole time I was growing up. After a number of bikes I found myself to be a goldwinger. One day commuting to work in Everett, WA I almost got hit. I was on Evergreen Way, which is a big fat 5 lane main thoroughfare. I was with traffic with green lights. A Rubitino garbage truck shot through an intersection against a red light. The cars around me slammed on their brakes and laid on their horns, but two wheels didn't have the traction for me to even hope to stop in time. All I could do was twist it out, swerve left and hope to god I make it. I did make it, turned around and went home, got in my car and never sat on that bike again.
There's lots of ways to die, some might even be considered good, but getting run over by a tweeker in a garbage truck on my way to work seemed like an easy one to avoid. My dad gave up his bikes years ago, too. We've both found ways to fill our time and need for excitement, so the bikes aren't even missed.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Seems like most of the close calls happen commuting.

I very rarely ride to work anymore. Not so much because of fear of accidents but mostly because (a) by the time I put on all my gear and wheel the bike out of the garage, I’ve killed almost 10 minutes I didn’t have to and (b) because my commute is a boring 10 mile drive with no scenic views, curves or anything else interesting .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 9101

I am contemplating selling mine. Unfortunately it's ill advised to put a baby seat on a street bike, so I have to drive my truck a lot. I'm thinking of selling it and then having my daughter help me build a sand rail

Clutch

<---Pass
From today, not too many ignoramuses on their phones out here. ;)

27545232_10156152864884630_2407664533255987726_n.jpg

jpachard

Adventurer
I’ve thought about giving up but then I bought the sausage creatures cousin, a 1996 Ducati Monster. That bike is 100% pure soul. I’ve crossed this fine country 5 times on various different rides and just placed an order for an Africa Twin to replace my BMW GS that I’m selling.

That said, I’m careful when I ride, like others have said. I carve it up on the Duc early on the weekends before the swivel heads take to the streets. The dual sports I use for back roads with much less traffic. I agree 100% that it’s gotten much scarier out there but I ride very defensively and so far, so good.

I could never quit, 2 wheels run deep.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SheepnJeep

It's hard to know what to do. I really think I'm going to sell it, which is a relief but also feels miserable. I'm the type of person that sees the 'personality' of stuff. Which is pointless. It's inanimate! But it isn't inanimate! Argh!

Clutch

<---Pass
It's hard to know what to do. I really think I'm going to sell it, which is a relief but also feels miserable. I'm the type of person that sees the 'personality' of stuff. Which is pointless. It's inanimate! But it isn't inanimate! Argh!

I feel you're pain! I am still bummed about selling our VW Bus 4.5 years ago.

From growing up a gear-head, I am trying to be sensible in my old age, it is hard! As I am watching Grand Tour...basically 3 old dudes that are totally obsessed with vehicles...which makes me feel better about me being obsessed. :D

Last edited:

Smileyshaun

Observer
I've been on a bike sense my dad was picking me up from preschool ( do that nowadays and you would be arrested and on the news ) got my motorcycle endorsement at 16 and rode up untill about 4 years ago . Gave it up after one to many close calls with drivers who just don't payou attention , I have a daughter to provide for and just can't take that chance of putting my life in dumbasses hands anymore .... put down the Damm phone and just drive and sing terribly to the songs on the radio, Instagram can wait .

jpachard

Adventurer
I've been on a bike sense my dad was picking me up from preschool ( do that nowadays and you would be arrested and on the news ) got my motorcycle endorsement at 16 and rode up untill about 4 years ago . Gave it up after one to many close calls with drivers who just don't payou attention , I have a daughter to provide for and just can't take that chance of putting my life in dumbasses hands anymore .... put down the Damm phone and just drive and sing terribly to the songs on the radio, Instagram can wait .

Yes if I had children that would definitely change my position for sure. Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TommyG

Adventurer
I sold my bikes when my son was born too. I could see having a trail bike again if he digs it when he is older but I can't afford to get wiped out by someone while they are adding an emoji to their text message.

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I sold my bikes when my son was born too. I could see having a trail bike again if he digs it when he is older but I can't afford to get wiped out by while someone is adding an emoji to their text message.

I did the same - 30 years ago. Always intended to go back to it. Started messing around on trail bikes after he turned 18 and joined The Corps. Never have gotten around to getting another big bike...though I keep telling myself I will one of these days.

So no, I never "quit for good", but so far, it's kind of worked out that way.

SheepnJeep

Hmm. I don't know, I guess the motorcycle should go. Yesterday I was trying to finish dealing with some boxes of stuff around from when we moved in August. Two full boxes of gear! Ooof. No room left in the hall closet. No room in the garage either. It's not really right to have all this stuff around. I just told my girlfriend we were too busy to take care of a dog right now. Time to look in the mirror myself.

On the plus side it will be less cost overhead and more money to spend on other things! Like a trip!

Pangle

Wanderer
I am just now considering going back to riding on the street. I have been without a bike now for nearly two years, my longest such stint without. I started riding when I was 3ish and have been riding ever since. I road raced all up and down the east coast in my teens and early 20s and have missed it ever since. I have all sorts of bikes from tons of sport bikes, race bikes, dirt, cruisers, and my last was a GS. I just had my son 8 months ago and have not in the slightest thought about stopping due to having him. When it boils down to it I have to live my life doing what makes me happy. I would want my son to do the same.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
40 years of legal road riding on 6 continents. No thought of totally giving up but I have consciously reduced my road exposure and changed my motorcycles over the past few years. Now it’s a big touring bike (R1200RT) for long distance work. TW200 and F650CS for the back of the camper or around town and a 1963 BMW and sidecar for family fun.

So not giving up but I have reduced the number of bikes and am now at 1/2 the combined HP I used to have.

But my suggestion is to sell your bike. See if you can go without. There are plenty of other bikes out there if you change your mind. Don’t do the storage thing. That is coming from someone who has been storing a Landcruiser for over 20 years. Vehicles don’t like sitting around and will just drop in value.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles