Any LC Smith owners around here?

Wander

Expedition Leader
My Grandfather handed down his LC Smith 16 ga side by side when I was 13 and I have enjoyed it very much. I'd like to know more about it, like how to figure out when it was made.

It was made at Hunter Arms in NY and I can remeber my Grandfather telling me he spec'd it to accept the "new" 2 3/4 shells. He ordered it the way he wanted it, field grade, lightweight frame, monte carlo stock and a semi beaver tail forearm. It's a "Hunter One Trigger" single trigger with a right/left sequence and 3/4 choke on the right open of the left. It is weighted very nicely, easy to raise and fits really well. There is no engraveing on the side plates but the stock and forearm do have some nice checkering, I'm guessing the stock is walnut. I think it is from the 40's-early 50's. My Dad told me he always remebers my Grandfather having it and he hunted with him from a young age. It's got some character but is in very good condition,no pitting and the blueing is thin only in one place where the forearm has rubbed it. I've kept it cleaned and oiled in it's original leg o mutton break down case. The only use it's seen lately was at a clays course and that was about 5 years ago (sad I know). Unfortunatly I think I used to heavy a load as I was getting double reports at the end of the day (both barrels where fireing when I pulled the trigger) so I need to have the spring checked and maybe replaced.

Anyone know a code for LC Smith's from the Hunter Arms era and what is a safe shell to use.?

After my Grandfather passed I found his old Red Head upland bird coat in his hunting closet with his last licence still clipped to the back and Federal Gold Label shells in the loops, I kept that as well as I was the only Grandchild that shared his love of the outdoors.

HarryT

Adventurer
Hunter Arms Company made L. C. Smith shotguns from 1889 until Marlin bought the company in 1945. I've got a Marlin made Field Grade 12 gauge. I haven't taken it out of the safe in years. I've been shooting a Huglu over and under 12 gauge lately.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
My Grandfather handed down his LC Smith 16 ga side by side when I was 13 and I have enjoyed it very much. I'd like to know more about it, like how to figure out when it was made.

It was made at Hunter Arms in NY and I can remeber my Grandfather telling me he spec'd it to accept the "new" 2 3/4 shells. He ordered it the way he wanted it, field grade, lightweight frame, monte carlo stock and a semi beaver tail forearm. It's a "Hunter One Trigger" single trigger with a right/left sequence and 3/4 choke on the right open of the left. It is weighted very nicely, easy to raise and fits really well. There is no engraveing on the side plates but the stock and forearm do have some nice checkering, I'm guessing the stock is walnut. I think it is from the 40's-early 50's. My Dad told me he always remebers my Grandfather having it and he hunted with him from a young age. It's got some character but is in very good condition,no pitting and the blueing is thin only in one place where the forearm has rubbed it. I've kept it cleaned and oiled in it's original leg o mutton break down case. The only use it's seen lately was at a clays course and that was about 5 years ago (sad I know). Unfortunatly I think I used to heavy a load as I was getting double reports at the end of the day (both barrels where fireing when I pulled the trigger) so I need to have the spring checked and maybe replaced.

Anyone know a code for LC Smith's from the Hunter Arms era and what is a safe shell to use.?

After my Grandfather passed I found his old Red Head upland bird coat in his hunting closet with his last licence still clipped to the back and Federal Gold Label shells in the loops, I kept that as well as I was the only Grandchild that shared his love of the outdoors.

As long as the barrels are NOT Damascus (the wavy-pattern steel) the shotgun should be fine with low-base shells... But get it checked by a competent 'smith.

http://www.lcsmith.org/shotguns/1945grades.html

Wander

Expedition Leader
So this is probably a little older than I thought. If he got it after he got out of school and went to work for Chrysler that would be the 1930's. The barrels are not damascus. I had read that Marlin bought out LC Smith but I didn't know that was in 45-thanks. I guess if I can find what year 2 3/4 shells came onto the market that will help me narrow it down as my Grandfather refered to them as the "new" shells. He grew up in Manistee MI (way up north on Lake Michigan) and went to Univ of Detroit and stayed in Detroit where he worked for Chrysler his whole career. He favored hunting rabbit with beagles but also liked upland bird and the occasional goose/swan/duck. He had a older 12 ga with a long (32" I think) barell for the waterfowl but the LC Smith was his "one" gun and handled the majority of his hunts. He even hunted deer with OO buck and slugs which must have been a thump in the shoulder. It was a mule kick when I was kid and will still put a nice bruise after a day shooting clays. Is there a shell brand that is better for these old guns?

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
All ammo is pretty much loaded to the same standards....Finding 16ga will be a bit tougher than conventional 12 or 20 though.

As long as the barrels are NOT Damascus (the wavy-pattern steel) the shotgun should be fine with low-base shells... But get it checked by a competent 'smith.

http://www.lcsmith.org/shotguns/1945grades.html

I know this is a 10 year old thread, but as I’m starting to look for a L C Smith, I thought I would comment. I agree that old barrels should be checked, but if they are in good shape, there are a number of low pressure loads that are safe with Damascus barrels.

I’m still looking for a decent 16 gauge field model with 26” or 28” barrels, choked I/C & M. Double triggers. That’s what I started hunting with a few decades back...

robert

Expedition Leader
The only thing useful I have to add is if you get a 16ga, when you find ammo, buy what you can and stack it deep as it can be tough to come by at times. It's not nearly as popular as it used to be. Last time I was in the local Sportsman's Warehouse they had 16ga slugs but no birdshot.

Just a little update, I didn’t find my L C Smith, but did find a Winchester
Field Model 23 20 gauge SxS, M/IC with 26” barrels, English stock. Nice condition. I’m happy.

BTW, if you’re looking for low velocity/pressure 16 gauge, you can order from RST. I believe they load both 2 3/4 and 2 1/2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles