Any law against tourists travelling with foreign registered RHD vehicle in the States & Canada?

Hi Guys

Please forgive me if this is not the correct section but I am a FG owner and would like to know if there are any regulations against tourists shipping in their foreign registered right hand drive trucks to travel around the States and Canada please?

Seems a silly question but could be a real problem if restrictions do apply, some countries have some funny vehicle regulations.

Would a person have to obtain a temporary import permit or what provision is made to allow this?

Appreciate any feedback.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Some issues have been reported in Costa Rica and El Salvador, but nothing that I am aware of in Canada/USA.

DCGibbs

Observer
Make sure you have copies of Registration in Nation State of Origin, Proof of Insurance, Valid Drivers Lic., and your Travel Visa. It's cheaper to bring it into Canada. If you get to Idaho, look us up. David

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I do not profess to know all of the ins and outs of this process, but I do see a LOT of European Overland rigs all over Canada. Lots of Fuso and Mercedes cab and chassis rigs... from all over Europe. So, with the right insurance you should be GTG!

Enjoy your travels when you get here.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I've crossed into Canada many times and know Canadians who have crossed into the US many times. Never has anyone checked anything about the vehicle except when the vehicle was a rental vehicle and then they just asked if it was a rental. Nobody ever checked my driver's license. Except nowadays I think they take a picture of the license plate. They just ask me where I'm going and why.

lanceatm

Founder and CEO of EarthCruiser
Hi Guys

Please forgive me if this is not the correct section but I am a FG owner and would like to know if there are any regulations against tourists shipping in their foreign registered right hand drive trucks to travel around the States and Canada please?

Seems a silly question but could be a real problem if restrictions do apply, some countries have some funny vehicle regulations.

Would a person have to obtain a temporary import permit or what provision is made to allow this?

Appreciate any feedback.

No big deal, we do it all the time with customer trucks.
Shipping to Canada is better they tell me, crossing a land border into the USA with a vehicle is better idea than a sea border. Land Border patrol are used to foreign registered vehicles, sea border patrol no as much.

gait

Explorer
Under Section 7(1)(b) of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA), a motor vehicle may be admitted temporarily into Canada without complying with the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations if it is to be used exclusively by a person entering Canada as a visitor or a person passing through Canada to another country.

Thank you for all the great replies. Certainly does not seem like it would be a problem then.

We are planning a RTW overland trip commencing May 2020.

We have decided to put up for sale our FG in the new year and have already started the build of a bigger Iveco ML150 4x4.

Lucky j

Explorer
As stated up here, should not have any issues, if you are inly visiting. The major issue, is making sure that the under carriage is spotless. No dirt mud or any other kind of dirt. Is the vehicule and under carriage is not spot less, you will need to have it cleanned on location and you will not have the choice to do it your self. It could be up to 1500$ to have it cleanned for entry into canada at the dock. (Info from some one that had to clean his jeep when they got of in Halifax NS after meating with canada custom and Canada agriculture.

As stated up here, should not have any issues, if you are inly visiting. The major issue, is making sure that the under carriage is spotless. No dirt mud or any other kind of dirt. Is the vehicule and under carriage is not spot less, you will need to have it cleanned on location and you will not have the choice to do it your self. It could be up to 1500$ to have it cleanned for entry into canada at the dock. (Info from some one that had to clean his jeep when they got of in Halifax NS after meating with canada custom and Canada agriculture.

Very useful tip noted, thank you.

mobydick 11

I would recommend you check with Canada and US immigration services . Just because you have a permit for Canada does not mean they will let you into the US . the camper is one thing you are another. I have just purchased a 1993 JB 500 ,flying to Halifax tomorrow to drive it back to Ontario . I live half HR from Niagara Falls ,if you get down this way look me up . Thanks Richard

DzlToy

Explorer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles