Any JK guys running a single Group 31 battery instead of dual batteries?

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Started thinking about running one large group 31 AGM, rather than a dual battery setup. Then just keep one of the new Lithium Ion emergency jump kits with the vehicle.
Just wondering if anyone else is doing this? If so, what did you do for a battery tray and hold down?
Thanks for the input! :beer:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I have a Diehard Platinum Group 34, and really like the battery (850CCA). At first I was thinking of just running two of them. Then it dawned on me, I get 1/2 the depth of discharge for the coach, and half the depth of discharge for the chassis.
So when running things like the fridge, or a Ham repeater, I'm only able to use 1/4 of the actual capacity overall capacity, because it's all on the coach battery.
So one single Group 31 would actually provide more usable amp hours. It also eliminates the need for an isolator (point of failure).
I measured under the hood, and it *seems* like it would fit, but would sure like to hear from someone actually running one.

Maxcustody

Explorer
Would be interesting to see replies. I just ordered the Genesis kit with dual Odyssey PC 1500's. Supposed to be delivered Friday

Sent from my Roof Top Tent

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I'd like to find the answer as well as I know Johnnyenglish did a group 31 battery in the post below. I asked a couple of times in the thread for more details, but never heard anything. I would probably rather run a single large batter and keep a jump starter than dual batteries, and it appears it would fit.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-Anniversary-JKUR-Build?p=1878990#post1878990

Awesome find! thanks, :beer:

I'll send John a P.M. and see if he could reply to this thread, with his thoughts on how it's working. He's a good guy and has shared some other cool stuff.

edit*****

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is what put the bug in my head, because John's setup is exactly what I was thinking of.
Dropped him a PM. So I'm sure he'll post when he has a chance.
Thanks again for posting that link! :beer:

Last edited:

rubicon91

Explorer
That is a really awesome kit. Did you see the optional monitor system they have now?

I just ordered the dual battery tray as well and it will be here tomorrow however did you know Genesis also came out at Jeep Beach this year with another tray that can go basically anywhere you want to put it. The River Raider Tomahawk has it in the rear of the Jeep with the batteries in it. I bet you could call Shane at Genesis and talk to him about it. Just a thought. I wish I could get those Odysseys batteries Max but damn the price locally I am getting has turned me off. For now I am getting 2 yellow tops as the price is great. I know tons of bad things said along with tons of good things said so we shall see but price point was where I could afford at this time. I should have mine all fully done and installed next week as well.

Edit

I think it is the universal one.

http://www.genesisoffroad.com/Universal-Dual-Battery-Kit-p/151-udbk.htm

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I just ordered the dual battery tray as well and it will be here tomorrow however did you know Genesis also came out at Jeep Beach this year with another tray that can go basically anywhere you want to put it. The River Raider Tomahawk has it in the rear of the Jeep with the batteries in it. I bet you could call Shane at Genesis and talk to him about it. Just a thought. I wish I could get those Odysseys batteries Max but damn the price locally I am getting has turned me off. For now I am getting 2 yellow tops as the price is great. I know tons of bad things said along with tons of good things said so we shall see but price point was where I could afford at this time. I should have mine all fully done and installed next week as well.

Edit

Yeah, I know a guy who just installed that kit in his Scout.
Really like the attention to detail with the Genesis setup. If I end up going dual battery that is the kit I would use.
I looked at the pricing for a simple tray and the Cole Hersee isolator at $250, plus a jump switch, and making cables. Really it would only "save" me about $100.
I put save in quotes, because there is all the little stuff that adds up. So at under $500 it's a lot of American made quality for the dollar.

I don't know that I would go with the monitor option, or just make a new harness and move the boost switch into the cab.
Did you go with the optional monitor?

Maxcustody

Explorer

Edit

Yeah the kit is not cheap.......but it has got to be the best setup on the market for the JK. I got everything from Genesis including the batteries.

Sent from my Roof Top Tent

rubicon91

Explorer
Yeah, I know a guy who just installed that kit in his Scout.
Really like the attention to detail with the Genesis setup. If I end up going dual battery that is the kit I would use.
I looked at the pricing for a simple tray and the Cole Hersee isolator at $250, plus a jump switch, and making cables. Really it would only "save" me about $100.
I put save in quotes, because there is all the little stuff that adds up. So at under $500 it's a lot of American made quality for the dollar.

I don't know that I would go with the monitor option, or just make a new harness and move the boost switch into the cab.
Did you go with the optional monitor?

I did not get the monitor at this time. Not quite in the budget. But I will probably add at some point.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
I have had an ODYSSEY PC1220 in my JK for a little over a month now and love it. My setup includes JWS 8700 EVOII Headlamps, BD Squadron Pro Foglamps, ARB Intensity AR32's, Rigid Ind D2XL Reverse Light, all powered through an sPod Source besides the Engel Mt45 plugged into the rear cigarette port. My fridge has ran since December non stop and only became a problem around June when temps reached 85+ and the Jeep was not driven for 36 or more hours. Since the addition of the Odyssey battery, I have had no issues running the fridge and even let it go 3 days without an issue.

I would love to install a dual battery kit (Genesis) but that will be down the road a little :) They have IMO the best dual battery kit on the market regardless of vehicle make, luckily it was designed to work in the JK.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I have had an ODYSSEY PC1220 in my JK for a little over a month now and love it. My setup includes JWS 8700 EVOII Headlamps, BD Squadron Pro Foglamps, ARB Intensity AR32's, Rigid Ind D2XL Reverse Light, all powered through an sPod Source besides the Engel Mt45 plugged into the rear cigarette port. My fridge has ran since December non stop and only became a problem around June when temps reached 85+ and the Jeep was not driven for 36 or more hours. Since the addition of the Odyssey battery, I have had no issues running the fridge and even let it go 3 days without an issue.

I would love to install a dual battery kit (Genesis) but that will be down the road a little :) They have IMO the best dual battery kit on the market regardless of vehicle make, luckily it was designed to work in the JK.

Great input, thanks rino!
So you would go dual battery over one group 31, with emergency back up?
Inquiring minds need to know why... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94