Any Intel on the new BFGATKO2 DT heavy duty?

Fast996

The M+S rating is plenty good at 7200 ft over Donner pass on Hwy 80 . There is hardly any big weather anymore over the summit .Since 1980 we have been in drought.I mainly bought these because i’ve read about tire wear that is premature under load.

PV Hiker

Observer
My local Costco tire manager went to a BFG tire class. He told me that the "DT" different compound is for the heavier deisel vechiles to prevent the tire flex when the massive torque is applied to the tire. That is the main reason that diesels chew up sidewalls and normal tires. He told me for mounting them on a normal gas engine truck the tires will be stiff and harder ride. If I wanted them he would do all he could to advise not to buy them. But it would be a go for heavy trucks with lots of torque .

Fast996

Thanks for the reply . I talked to a tire technician at Goodrich he told me the rubber composition and design is different. The tire was designed for towing applications and heavy loading also the 3/4 I ton trucks. The sidewalls are different as well as the inside construction. the 50k mile warranty where the non-DT is the standard warranty. I do not run my truck in heavy snow but carry heavy loads I will report back once I have some miles on them.

Last edited:

Superduty

Adventurer
Thanks for the reply . I talked to a tire technician at Goodyear he told me the rubber composition and design is different.The tire was designed for towing applications and heavy loading also the 3/4 I ton trucks.The sidewalls are different as well as the inside construction.Hense the 50k mile warranty where the non-DT is the std warranty.I do not run my truck in heavy snow but carry heavy loads.I will report back once I have some miles on them.

At Goodyear or BFG?

nastav

Adventurer
FWIW I wound up with the standard BFG ATKO2 for my sprinter in 265/75r16.
This will be my 4th set on various vehicles over the past several years.
I guess you go with what you know?
I’ve found them to be ok in most situations my vehciles see.
The DT would be worse where I live.

hemifoot

Observer
i had regular ko2's on my 03 f150 and found them to be a stiff ride on stock suspension compared to the goodyears they replaced.but then,goodyears are crap anyways,i can't see the dt's being very comfy on a light duty vehicle.i found after a few sets the hankook dynapro was a really good tire for my light duty needs,but i use a winter set and a camper carry duty set on all my trucks and had very different needs for each.i'm on my 8'th truck and average 3 sets per,that's alot of tires over the years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles