Any input on Portable Fridge/Freezer Units?

Currently planning a new build for my kitchen, having trouble deciding if there are any models to stay away from or I should look for? Whether having one is even beneficial? I have an Aux. Battery so power isn't too big of an issue.

emulous74

You need to determine your budget, the size you think you'll need, and the features you want.

I have an Engel 45F combo fridge/freezer meaning you can put in a divider and run one side as fridge and the other freezer or any combination. I also have a ARB Elements 63qt, I believe it's the only one on the market that is rated to work in the rain/snow/heat on the back of truck bed. I recently purchased a Dometic CFX3 75DZ, that has two separate compartments with their own doors, this one allows for control of each compartment individually, including allowing to run one compartment and have the other turned off. I'll be selling the ARB as I'm putting a canopy over my bed. The Engel fits perfectly in the tongue box of my trailer.

I can say that the Engel is the most efficient in terms of power. I have high hopes for the Dometic, really like that I can turn one compartment off, if I'm not using it. I have a friend that has had one for about a year and she said it took Dometic a week to get back to her, but they sent her a new one under warranty. I can say that the ARB Elements does what it's advertised to do, it keeps on trucking in the rain, mud, and dust (haven't tried it in the snow) and it's the most quality built one I own, second would be the Engel, than the Dometic (however Dometic makes replacement parts easy to get on their website, ARB hasn't gotten back to me in over 4 months on a request to purchase a replacement 12v cord.

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
I use an Iceco JP40. So far I have really liked the unit and it lives full time in my Wrangler.

According to their literature, they use the same compressors as the much more expensive units. From my undertanding, this is what will really set the units apart from less expensive units. I did a review of the JP40 not too long ago here:

bear100

Another vote for Engel, I have the MT45 and it’s fantastic, ultra low draw and so well made. Also parts and accessories are easily available. I’ve had mine for 15 years and it’s never let me down and used every day!

jb10

I am looking at fridge/freezers now. A few months ago I remember reading about a fridge/freezer that had issues when plugged into both ac and dc power. If I recall correctly it caused a fire hazard. Has anyone else heard of this? If so do you know what brand? I just cannot seem to remember

Charles R

Adventurer
That's Dometic and their new CFX3 line. Their older stuff does not have that problem.
It's a good brand otherwise. I've been running a 28L CFX2 nonstop 24/7 for about 5 years now.

Explorerinil

Observer
I got a small dometic (can’t recall the model) I bought in 2018, works flawlessly, it’s always plugged in and running when my truck is on. I use it to carry drinks and food.

I use an Iceco JP40. So far I have really liked the unit and it lives full time in my Wrangler.

According to their literature, they use the same compressors as the much more expensive units. From my undertanding, this is what will really set the units apart from less expensive units. I did a review of the JP40 not too long ago here:

I have an Iceco VL45(48qt) as well that lives full time in the back of our F150 with a cap. It's been on for about a year and a half maybe. It's been through Big Bend, Suajaro, Mojave, Lincoln NF, Joshua tree, Chirrachuaa NF, DeSoto SP and a couple others.. We do mostly primitive camping and we did canyon and rock trails plus some mid speed dessert trail running with it and it's still working great. The interior LED light is a nice touch that some more expensive brands didn't have until you went really big. We also got the soft cover for it to keep it from getting banged up as much and to hopefully insulate it some(I don't know how much that works though). I'd recommend it and it's on Amazon so it's quick shipping.

It's also quiet as sometimes we sleep in the back of the truck. When it cycles on, it doesn't wake me up but that's subjective obviously.

Two thumbs up thus far.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Hourless Life

We are running the National Luna Legacy 50L on our build, and would highly recommend that you at least consider taking a look. We're really excited to have this fridge in our global overland build. We'd been running an ARB 50Q on our North American build, but the National Luna is next level. Full transparency, we were sponsored with the National Luna for our global journey by EQUIPT Expedition Outfitters, but in all fairness after my wife had done her research for the kitchen, we were going to run this fridge if we were sponsored or not. Actually came as quite a surprise that the team at EQUIPT got behind our journey. We were connected through a mutual friend in the industry. ~ Eric

TwinStick

Explorer
We have 2 ARB Classic fridge freezers. Love them. 82 & 50qt. One or the other has been plugged in, in the house as an overflow fridge or freezer since new in 2014. They have been on many a trips as well. Love them.

People who need a 120v cord for their ARB can find them on Amazon or 4 wheel parts. Sometimes listed as 120v power cord but I strongly suggest ARB's 12v power cord. Also strongly suggest at least 10 gauge wire for the 12v plug run.

We had a 2017 4Runner that I caught just in time, before it burnt to the ground. The 12v plug in the 4Runner did not have thick enough wire & overheated and melted the connector. Inside of vehicle was filled with smoke. It was caught literally just in time. I ONLY use ARB 12v plugs and their receptacles & their kits.

billiebob

I say Brand Name and just spend the $$$$.
I bought a bottom dweller and fought for credit on day 3.
If you buy cheap, buy thru Amazon they are amazing when a seller drops the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94