Any Hunters or Bowhunters Here?

Suty

Adventurer
I know that this can be a sticky issue with some, but I was wondering if we have any Hunters here ? More specifically Bowhunters. I am a Traditional Bowhunter who enjoys hunting and the outdoors. I have pretty much gave up Gun Hunting for the challenge of Traditional Bowhunting. I started out with a Compound Bow but have moved to the Traditional side of the house. I like the fact that I have to Stalk up within 20 to 25 yards, instead of blasting away at 200 yards. I've missed more animals then I have taken due to this fact. A wind shift or slightest wrong move and your animal is gone. I enjoy just being outside in the Fall and taken it all in. I hope that I will not have offended any of our PETA, animal loving friends. I kill only what I eat and I hunt responsibly. However, I would say that if a huge 12 Point Buck walks within range of me and my Longbow, I'd take him as a trophy, I would still eat him though. Let me know if your a Hunter and how you Hunt, and if your not, I'm sorry.......you should really try it. By the way I am a member of PETA ( People who Eat Tasty Animals) Tu Compadre, Suty

Michael Slade

Untitled
Suty,

I've never owned a gun, but have gone out shooting handguns with a couple of my buddies and enjoy it.

My neighbor just got a 5-point elk in Colorado last month. Gave me a bunch of elk steaks and boy oh boy they are good.

It's making me seriously think of starting up hunting. The meat is so darn good, it's a shame the stuff in the stores isn't as high quality.

I'd stick with the guns though...I stink too much to stalk a deer. :)

Suty

Adventurer
Mike , I am glad to see you interested in taking up the Hunt. If you have never hunted before I encourage you to attend a Hunters Safety Course and to Hunt with someone who has. Our sport has alot of critics and because of that I would say to you Hunt Responsibly. Don't take that shot that is beyond your range and skill level, better to let that animal pass then take a chance of wounding it. I really hope you decide to take up the challenge to hunt and enjoy the time outdoors as well as the meat YOU put on the table. Tu Compadre, Suty

Scott Brady

Founder
I really enjoy bird hunting...

I have a large collection of shotguns (90% willed to me from family), but really love my vintage (turn of the century) model 12's, and also have a soft spot for my HK .45 ACP USP. One of the finest handguns ever made.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I also enjoy hunting. I have not bow hunted for around 8 years as I haven't the time to practice my archery anymore. I have found archery skills are much more perishable than firearms skills.

I encourage everyone who eats meat to kill and eat something at least once in their lives. Don't chastise me for hunting then go down the street and order a hamburger :chowtime:

I have hunted dove and quail throughout CA and AZ. I don't really enjoy dove season anymore and no longer go. I have always enjoyed quail hunting but I don't have a bird dog so I no longer go quail hunting.

I have hunted mule deer, pigs, and Tule elk in CA and mule deer, antelope, and Rocky Mountain elk in WY.

I hope to do some hunting in UT now that my brother lives there.

I prefer using lever action rifles with iron sights.

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
I really like wingshooting - doves especially - but we've been too busy of late to get out there, despite being able to walk right out from the house to do so!

(Quail I'm just not very good at - we don't have a gundog, and those little buggers are so sneaky - plus, we've had bad quail years here and don't like to over-use our population.)

Jonathan's the big-game hunter for us; but this year, he didn't draw a permit :Wow1: for rifle, and so is thinking of an over-counter bow permit. He won't say, but he made his own traditional longbow by hand, from yew from England (though I know his hunting longbow is wood and glass and much heavier pull).

I haven't worked up to bigger game, though I love to cook it and eat it!

Got some great recipes - dove pate, smoked venison chile, and "hunter's paella."

Suty et al - you should check out Jonathan's blog

As for offending PETA types - ack, it's they who offend us. Animal rightists just aren't honest about the fact that all living entails killing, whether you get your meat yourself (the honest way) or eat vegetables and grains (and don't admit that lots of bunnies and birdies get chopped up by combines, or a mileu of pollution is produced to ship your tofu over vast distances so you don't have to eat animal protein....but I digress!)

Roseann

Suty

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:

I have a large collection of shotguns (90% willed to me from family), but really love my vintage (turn of the century) model 12's, and also have a soft spot for my HK .45 ACP USP. One of the finest handguns ever made.
Well Thats good to know , if your ever in Tejas the first of September we will go Dove Hunt'n. One of those" I gotta friend who has this place" only this place has been great for Dove. Model 12 , I feel is one of the Best that was ever produced. I know there are more expensive but hadly none touch it for what the price was. It does me good to know you hunt. Buen Casador, Suty

Suty

Adventurer
calamaridog said:
I also enjoy hunting. I have not bow hunted for around 8 years as I haven't the time to practice my archery anymore. I have found archery skills are much more perishable than firearms skills.

I encourage everyone who eats meat to kill and eat something at least once in their lives. Don't chastise me for hunting then go down the street and order a hamburger :chowtime:

I have hunted dove and quail throughout CA and AZ. I don't really enjoy dove season anymore and no longer go. I have always enjoyed quail hunting but I don't have a bird dog so I no longer go quail hunting.

I have hunted mule deer, pigs, and Tule elk in CA and mule deer, antelope, and Rocky Mountain elk in WY.

I hope to do some hunting in UT now that my brother lives there.

I prefer using lever action rifles with iron sights.
Cali, I too perfer the Lever Action with Iron Sights. In fact the only Rifle's I still own are a 1886 Winchester in 45/90 with a Marble Tang sight, and a 1874 Shiloh Sharps in 50-110. So, Its great to see fellow Hunters around this board. I hope to Hunt Elk in Idaho next year, but my dream is to go to Africa and Bowhunt Plains Game, Impala, Warthog etc... I may be out your way in Jan. My parents still live up in Hemet. Take Care, Tu Compa, Suty

Suty

Adventurer
DesertRose said:
I really like wingshooting - doves especially - but we've been too busy of late to get out there, despite being able to walk right out from the house to do so!

(Quail I'm just not very good at - we don't have a gundog, and those little buggers are so sneaky - plus, we've had bad quail years here and don't like to over-use our population.)

Jonathan's the big-game hunter for us; but this year, he didn't draw a permit :Wow1: for rifle, and so is thinking of an over-counter bow permit. He won't say, but he made his own traditional longbow by hand, from yew from England (though I know his hunting longbow is wood and glass and much heavier pull).

I haven't worked up to bigger game, though I love to cook it and eat it!

Got some great recipes - dove pate, smoked venison chile, and "hunter's paella."

Suty et al - you should check out Jonathan's blog

As for offending PETA types - ack, it's they who offend us. Animal rightists just aren't honest about the fact that all living entails killing, whether you get your meat yourself (the honest way) or eat vegetables and grains (and don't admit that lots of bunnies and birdies get chopped up by combines, or a mileu of pollution is produced to ship your tofu over vast distances so you don't have to eat animal protein....but I digress!)

Roseann
Roseann, Thanks for your comments. I really enjoyed Jonathans Blog, he hits the nail on the head. He should be very proud of making a Yew Longbow, it is not easy to fashion one that will really shoot. If Y'all ever make it out to Tejas in the winter let me know and I can hook you and Jonathan up with a little S.Texas Hog and Javelina Bowhunt. Since you enjoy Game Meat I will need to bring some of my Jalapeno,Cheese and Deer Summer Sausage. It's very good and I will bring some out to y'all on my next trip to Calif to visit my parents. Tu Compadre, Suty

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I like to hunt, though I'm still waiting for my first big game kill. I don't try all that hard and just enjoy being out there. I also like to dove and quail hunt. My dad's got a really well trained German short-haired that is the best bird dog I've ever seen. Makes hunting quail that much funner.

I didn't put in for any hunts in NM this year. One of my buddies had two cow tags for elk in CO and I helped pay for that and got a bunch of meat. I've got elk to last me through 06 probably.

I'm hoping to go oryx hunting next year. I think oryx meat is about the best game meat I've ever had.

Last edited:

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
expeditionswest said:

Anyone who hunts birds with a .45 has my admiration . . .

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Jonathan Hanson said:
Anyone who hunts birds with a .45 has my admiration . . .

Not much meat left...

On a side note, I've taken several quail with my bow and rubber blunted arrows :hehe:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Suty said:
Cali, I too perfer the Lever Action with Iron Sights. In fact the only Rifle's I still own are a 1886 Winchester in 45/90 with a Marble Tang sight, and a 1874 Shiloh Sharps in 50-110. So, Its great to see fellow Hunters around this board. I hope to Hunt Elk in Idaho next year, but my dream is to go to Africa and Bowhunt Plains Game, Impala, Warthog etc... I may be out your way in Jan. My parents still live up in Hemet. Take Care, Tu Compa, Suty

I currently have a Winchester 94 in .30-.30. It's too light for pigs and elk so I want to get a larger calibre soon.

I'm leaning towards .444 Marlin, .45-70, or .450 Marlin. Haven't decided on Winchester or Marlin yet.

If you are out this way and have some time to kill, let me know. If I'm not busy I will buy you a coffee or a :beer:

MaddBaggins

Explorer
If God didn't want us to eat animals, then why did he make them outta meat!

I hunt with rifle and handgun.
I have a Ruger .270 winchester (deer mtn lion)
a custom made .338 winchester magnum (elk moose bear)
and I hunt javelina with my S&W .357 magnum revolver
I have various other guns but they aren't much good for hunting

I was out hunting white tail this weekend. I didn't kill anything but had a good time anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles