Any Hiace 4x4 Van owners out there?

Lovetheworld

Search on Google for Hiace Hobo blog turbo kit, that is also on a 3L Engine.
I don't see an easy link, but I remember he used an Australian Ebay turbo kit. It is without modification to fuel pump, which makes it safer and still great progress in driving.

You can build it yourself using Toyota parts. I once bought an exhaust manifold with turbo from another 2L-T engine. Then just cover the pressure line to the fuel pump. Do some oil rerouting.
But the turbo and wastegate are completely worn and I haven't checked if I can fit the two right bolts of the manifold onto the engine head.
It involves more research but should come.out cheaper. However, you probably don't have 2L-T cars in your area so all need to be bought online, and spending time on that.
So a new turbo kit is not a bad idea.

Fishenough

Creeper

Beautiful conversion! Do you have more pictures of the build?

Like that, though in the dark, your Hiace is pictured between 2 L300 Delica's.

If you have the 3 L 5L I would suggest finding someone in Thailand, Malaysia, or Japan that provides bolt on performance kits for the 3L. If you have the 1KZ, this is still possible, thou I remember some caution need though this is a more economical engine. I lived in Asia for 8 years, Hiace van drivers would often tweak their engines to drive faster than others in those 1st 2 countries, and still drive there Hiace's like maniacs for over 10 years over steep mountains with the dirty diesel available (what I experienced in Thailand). I had a 3L, non turbo, in a Nissan pickup in Thailand, and drove the same truck with a turbo/intercooler kit and it had power comparable to an American pickup.
d3e420d96cce9d5e9c224eb7830aa267.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

Reactions: plh

TryCobb

Hey everyone, I've recently picked up a fantastic 1995 Hiace and I'm starting a cross country drive in the next few days to bring it home. I'll rebuild the interior as a camper when I get home. In addition to replacing the shocks and springs, I'd like to upgrade to slightly larger 16" wheels that are offset a bit further from the vehicle center. I think I can safely get away with about 30mm without interfering with the sliding door. Does anyone have experience with replacing their wheels with this much change to the offset? Thanks so much for your help.

rckhound

Hoping on here because I am the new owner of this Van. We have started to turn it into a little weekender camper. Having fun with it! We have added a front runner rack, a go fast camper, interior bike mounts, and solar system. We have already taken it to California, Arizona, and Utah on trips. We are looking to upgrade the front shocks and wondering what the factory compressed and extended lengths are? Also we have an intermittent grinding when cold from the front left. Anyone else experience this?

Attachments

• 154BA24C-1AC6-45F8-8D22-D4806C176B5C.jpeg
    154BA24C-1AC6-45F8-8D22-D4806C176B5C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • 4B2F4BA8-9883-4070-8AD3-9C68B353AA1E.jpeg
    4B2F4BA8-9883-4070-8AD3-9C68B353AA1E.jpeg
    375.5 KB · Views: 31

Lovetheworld

What do these vans go for in North America?

We are thinking of selling our van around the end of summer, maybe September.
We used it to drive from Amsterdam to Tokyo, and it was great! But it is not used so much anymore.
Ours is the 2.4 diesel with 4x4 and low-gearing, modified with bigger wheels.
Long wheel base with high roof, 220,000 kilometers. Rare version with ambulance doors and a Toyota original limited slip diff on the rear axle, as well as front seat heating.

So the van is based in Netherlands, and I am wondering if it is relevant to the North American market, since it is older than 25 years. And what prices would be.

It is not rustfree, it has some bubbles around the window edges. The bottom section (everything black) is hard

It has new 225/75R16 BF goodricht all terrains (not on the photo) and it has a camper interior. 175W solar panel and a small fridge with freezer. Diesel to air heater. Maxxfan.

4 beds, that is if your kids are not to big yet :) kids beds are now 150cm long I think.

phpCKSn4B_20180805_080409.jpg

Last edited:

Here are a couple of ads I found in the Seattle Area, where these vans are pretty popular and have good support from local mechanics.

FYI - Craigslist is a fairly popular person-to-person ad site for selling... anything. There are other places to look like OfferUp and Facebook marketplace

Craigslist 1996 Hiace Hitop $17,000 usd

Craiglslist 1995 Hiace Hitop $22,000 usd

Craigslist 1994 Hiace Hitop $22,000 usd

And here is a search for "Hiace" in Seattle Craigslist

I think your van is LHD, which should be more valuable in the states. I don't really know how to estimate that value.

popeye_kook

Hi all! Recently purchased a 1995 Hiace Super GL 2.8 (3.0) Diesel (1KZ non-turbo), 119 wheel base.
Wondering the feasibility of adding a turbo onto the 1KZ engine? The van certainly chugs slowly over hills - looking to add some power. I saw someone mention the CT12B Turbo Charger - can someone confirm this is a direct fit or recommend other solutions?
Also plan to add roof racks and looking to use Thule or Rhino rack gutter mounts.
Can anyone also recommend a bull bar / front bar that fits, and any offroad light mounts they recommend?
Thanks!

popeye_kook

We are thinking of selling our van around the end of summer, maybe September.
We used it to drive from Amsterdam to Tokyo, and it was great! But it is not used so much anymore.
Ours is the 2.4 diesel with 4x4 and low-gearing, modified with bigger wheels.
Long wheel base with high roof, 220,000 kilometers. Rare version with ambulance doors and a Toyota original limited slip diff on the rear axle, as well as front seat heating.

So the van is based in Netherlands, and I am wondering if it is relevant to the North American market, since it is older than 25 years. And what prices would be.

It is not rustfree, it has some bubbles around the window edges. The bottom section (everything black) is hard

It has new 225/75R16 BF goodricht all terrains (not on the photo) and it has a camper interior. 175W solar panel and a small fridge with freezer. Diesel to air heater. Maxxfan.

4 beds, that is if your kids are not to big yet :) kids beds are now 150cm long I think.

phpCKSn4B_20180805_080409.jpg
Awesome build. How did you mount the awning and solar panels, respectively? Also looks like you have a swing-out bumper attachment in the rear - can you share details? Thanks!

Bhill_teq

Just in case anyone wanders back into this thread, we've had our HiAce for not quite a full year yet, and we're absolutely in love. This was the trip bringing it home:

And our last camping trip in it before she went under the knife to get a camper conversion:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne