Any Hiace 4x4 Van owners out there?

Lovetheworld

Since it is a 2.8d parttime, a lot of parts are shared with Hiluxes (and some 4runners). Also a lot of parts are not :)
It is best to find the part that you need in Toyodiy.com or some other side that lets you find part numbers for your exact model (you can enter VIN).
Then, search on internet or ebay with that part number. That is the most practical way.
Recently I've been ordering at Roughtrax4x4. They don't list the Hiace 4x4, and when you select a car, you cannot find other parts anymore.
So just search on part numbers in the site, without selecting a car.
Engine parts like oil filter and stuff is even simpler, just getting it from a Hilux 2.8
But searching on part numbers makes sure you get the right part.

A only have a Norwegian manual. It is sort of readable for my (I'm Dutch) but it may be readable for you as well (and there is Google Translate)
And it is about a 2.4d, which is pretty much the same engine.

You can find more info on http://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/ also regarding max tire size. I have way bigger tires but with modifications like lifted suspension and cutting away metal.

Make sure you understand how the 4x4 system works. Like any old fashioned 4x4.

ricardoalexm

Since it is a 2.8d parttime, a lot of parts are shared with Hiluxes (and some 4runners). Also a lot of parts are not :)
It is best to find the part that you need in Toyodiy.com or some other side that lets you find part numbers for your exact model (you can enter VIN).
Then, search on internet or ebay with that part number. That is the most practical way.
Recently I've been ordering at Roughtrax4x4. They don't list the Hiace 4x4, and when you select a car, you cannot find other parts anymore.
So just search on part numbers in the site, without selecting a car.
Engine parts like oil filter and stuff is even simpler, just getting it from a Hilux 2.8
But searching on part numbers makes sure you get the right part.

A only have a Norwegian manual. It is sort of readable for my (I'm Dutch) but it may be readable for you as well (and there is Google Translate)
And it is about a 2.4d, which is pretty much the same engine.

You can find more info on http://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/ also regarding max tire size. I have way bigger tires but with modifications like lifted suspension and cutting away metal.

Make sure you understand how the 4x4 system works. Like any old fashioned 4x4.

Thank you for all the info, that's really helpfull.

About searching for parts, could you explain where I can insert the VIN on toyodiy?

Thanks again!

Last edited:

benewing

Hi All,

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 1kz-te Hiace? I have the motor from a 1998 HIace Regius and I can't find the wiring diagram anywhere!

Thanks,
Ben

Rhygaar

Oddral
I’ve got a 1994 Hiace Super Custom. Imported last year, bought from a neighbor who does the imports.

Mileage is just shy of 80K miles (converted from km), full time 4x4 and has the kz diesel.

I’ve done a bit of work so far. New shoes (K02s), new torsion bars and shocks (Dobinson’s), new coil springs that added about 2” lift (Roamer NW), and bumpstops. I’m having a bit of body work done to address some rust and few dings / dents. I’ll be adding a snorkel from Toyota to help keep the dust out, and I’m considering a fresh paint job. So far, I’m loving the van, had it almost a year and it’s just a joy to drive. 1CBC4AE8-AF4E-4523-BCEB-C312161250F9.jpeg

Nozzlehog61

Just impulse purchased a 1993 4x4 Toyota Hiace. 3.0L Turbo Diesel van, 116 wheelbase. Any US owners out there? Not much comes up when searching for forums and chat.
I know this post is kind of old but i justfound it. I am picking up my 94 hiace next week. I live in Parker colorado just south of denver. I would like to talk to you about your rig and what you do for parts and service. thanks

Calcifer

Glad to stumble upon this post. In addition to the Gx470, I also have a 92 hiace super custom limited 3L NA engine. It has some issues with overheating but I'm slowly chipping away at it. My next move is to remove the EGR and maybe do a Wilson switch for the glowplugs.

Ace MM

Happy to find more Hiace drivers!
This is my 1989 super custom 4wd that I’ve owned for 3 years. 3L LH107 with A/C and electric curtains and now a semi-converted surf camper/parts hauler . Currently acquiring parts for the timing belt change.

Heating issues: I run very hot in 4wd up hills or when outside is >90F the auto trans runs warm (cooler installed)
I found a bad coolant line at the rear of the van (rusted and when I tapped it with a wrench a second time a chunk broke off and leaked) be sure the rear heater section lines are flushed!
I plan on upgrading the unobtainium 4wd radiator (USDM vans have the same issue) with a custom aluminum, not much room for additional fans in there.

Attachments

• 28DC7569-38A8-45D6-8A0F-7359D33DCD05.jpeg
    28DC7569-38A8-45D6-8A0F-7359D33DCD05.jpeg
    515 KB · Views: 40

Lovetheworld

In Europe I can get these radiators, in two sizes.
Assuming that the fit is the same.

And I don't have any issues climbing in all the heat.

Suggest that you combine radiator with timing belt change, because it is a hell of a job.

HumboldtHog

Anyone have experience with the Toyota 3L non-turbo 2.8 liter Diesel in the mountains? I know they are "underpowered" for a Hiace camper going over the mountain passes in Colorado at 10,000+ feet. But I'm wondering just HOW slow. Are we talking 40-45 mph on steep grades at elevation? Slower?

ricardoalexm

20201106_133236-03.jpeg

Update on my van just for those who like to see other rigs like me, especially Hiaces

List of mods and some jobs since April'20:
- Bfs ko2 on original wheels
- New electrical system: 110 battery connected to split charger, 12v fuse box, usbs and 12v plugs w/ voltage reader
- New water system: 20l fresh water tank, new tap, grey water pipe direct to ground (biodegradable agents only)
- Heating system installed: Propex gas heater
- New gas system: Initally with campingaz bottle, moved to propane recently
- Full refurbishement of furniture: sand and paint
- Removed some parts of old furniture: to create space for toilet and future shower room
- Installed upper bed: Memory foam mattress with slide on wooden boards (still able to stand inside during day time)
- Removed rock and roll bed: Need more space inside
- Installed removable dining table making use of original furniture as seats

Thanks for reading!
-

SeekingNothing

Hi all!

Super psyched to find other Hiace owners. Just want to introduce myself. I’ve just purchased a 1995, LWB and plan to start a full renovation of the interior so it can act as my basecamp vehicle.

Just getting started - ordered rear shackles and front shocks for a bit more clearance. Plan on an interior kitchen, bed, storage, electrical/solar buildout over the next few months and will pop the top in October.
]4D718A94-EC51-45E2-AB5A-8E989DD0D287.jpeg
427A3700-D24F-42BD-8855-BC928BAA0F36.jpeg

Lovetheworld

Hi all!

Super psyched to find other Hiace owners. Just want to introduce myself. I’ve just purchased a 1995, LWB and plan to start a full renovation of the interior so it can act as my basecamp vehicle.

Just getting started - ordered rear shackles and front shocks for a bit more clearance. Plan on an interior kitchen, bed, storage, electrical/solar buildout over the next few months and will pop the top in October.

I think this is not the LWB but the Super long wheel base.
Does the chassis code sound something like LH129 or so?

Have fun with it!

4realdrive

Great pic's from everyone involved in this "new" forum. I have imported a lot of vehicles from all around the world over the years. If I can help anyone deal with the bureaucratic BS of getting their vehicle(s) legal here in the states please don't hesitate to hit me up.
Hi Rovercchef (and anyone else out there with direct importing experience)! Hitting you up on importing guidance for a Hiace from Japan. Would prefer shipping to Long Beach, CA. then drive to New Mexico.

Recommendations welcome on who to work with (broker/ dealer/ importer).
Besides concerns about the $ transaction, how do you assure getting a mechanically very good vehicle? I'd consider paying more for that a worthwhile investment. Seems like it might be better to have some repairs/replacements done prior to shipping...(timing belt, CV boots, alternator, starter, other "hard to find" parts) ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles