Any Hiace 4x4 Van owners out there?

TJG

Just impulse purchased a 1993 4x4 Toyota Hiace. 3.0L Turbo Diesel van, 116 wheelbase. Any US owners out there? Not much comes up when searching for forums and chat.
Hey man, Im in Northern Colorado. Fort Collins. I got a 1993 super custom limited hiace. I think I may have seen you around. Would love to meet up.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
We took my buddies 1991 HiAce diesel 4x4 to the beach a few weeks back. The van is in very good shape with very low mileage but he has a radiator/cooling issue as it starts to over heat at speeds in excess of 65mph and it did the same in the softer sand. He flushed the radiator six times and claims finding a new old stock radiator is damn near impossible. Any ideas or pointers here from the HiAce crowd?

esLfLcQ.jpg

HDmeKp4.jpg

vNKepsA.jpg

WTOkPSj.jpg

Lovetheworld

We took my buddies 1991 HiAce diesel 4x4 to the beach a few weeks back. The van is in very good shape with very low mileage but he has a radiator/cooling issue as it starts to over heat at speeds in excess of 65mph and it did the same in the softer sand. He flushed the radiator six times and claims finding a new old stock radiator is damn near impossible. Any ideas or pointers here from the HiAce crowd?

Would be useful to say which engine. Is this 1KZ super custom? Or 2.4 liter or 2.8 liter, with or without turbo? Engine code would be the best to share.

I assume he already replaced the thermostat.

If it is the radiator, you may detect patches that are cool and patches that are hot.
I think for the 2.4 or 2.8 you should be able to get a new radiator. I see a couple one Ebay. Usually listed for 2.4 but 2.8 is very similar, so it will probably work.

Last edited:

Lovetheworld

Ok, that is very similar to our 2.4 Hiace, also non-turbo.
If he has the VIN number and goes into Toyodiy.com, you can get the exact part number for the radiator and search on that.
If you want to have more options, just search for a Hiace radiator on ebay. Don't go for the ones of 1995 and upwards, that is a different European model. Usually it is listed for something like '89 to '95
As said, they are usually listed for the 2.4, but in the parts system I can see that it is the same radiator for the 2.8 diesel.
You can recognize that is listed for LH1* bodies amongst others.
Your buddy will have LH109 type I believe ( he can check it on the VIN plate when you lift the seats / engine cover, above the wheel)
We have an LH118

But of course a new radiator won't help when there is a water pump or head gasket issue.

And fitting a new radiator is not easy due to the engine setup.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Ok, that is very similar to our 2.4 Hiace, also non-turbo.
If he has the VIN number and goes into Toyodiy.com, you can get the exact part number for the radiator and search on that.
If you want to have more options, just search for a Hiace radiator on ebay. Don't go for the ones of 1995 and upwards, that is a different European model. Usually it is listed for something like '89 to '95
As said, they are usually listed for the 2.4, but in the parts system I can see that it is the same radiator for the 2.8 diesel.
You can recognize that is listed for LH1* bodies amongst others.
Your buddy will have LH109 type I believe ( he can check it on the VIN plate when you lift the seats / engine cover, above the wheel)
We have an LH118

But of course a new radiator won't help when there is a water pump or head gasket issue.

And fitting a new radiator is not easy due to the engine setup.

Great info, I'll pass it along. Thanks!!!

VicTori

Just impulse purchased a 1993 4x4 Toyota Hiace. 3.0L Turbo Diesel van, 116 wheelbase. Any US owners out there? Not much comes up when searching for forums and chat.
I love them. I live off and on in Latin America and Toyota diesels are kings. I actually just bought two (!!) from japan; they’ll be arriving to LA in a couple of weeks, and I’ll keep one and sell the other. One is a full on camper (loft, kitchen, solar panels, she’s so beautiful) and one is standard but if I keep it and sell the other I’ll convert it for sure. Hopefully I’ll be importing more to sell; I also love the delicas but they’re too small for my comfort (I live most the year in a camper van).
Cheers!

VicTori

Hi! I've lived many years in South America and in Mexico where Toyota Hiaces abound. I came back to the states a few years ago, bought a 2000 Honda Odyssey which I turned into a camper van, and had tranny problems three times (rebuilt tranny twice; the third time I scrapped her). Money pit!! I finally bought and imported three vans from Japan: A 1994 custom toyota hiace with crystal lite roof, a 1993 toyota hiace hi-top camper van equipped with kitchen, loft, closet, hitch, etc., and a 1993 mitsubishi delica star wagon. All are 4WD and in fantastic shape. I'm keeping one (TBD which one) and selling the other two. If there's good response then I plan to continue to import these amazing cars! I'm new here but next will figure out where the classified section is to list the vans I purchased. They just arrived to LA!!

mankey

Hi Folks - new on here, but figured I show a couple of pics of my Hiace 4wd.
Its a 1996 LH129 with a hitop camper conversion done in Japan from new. It has a 2.8 diesel engine, autobox with overdrive, hi/lo range and freewheeling hubs.

I cooked the engine after a very short term of ownership, so had the engine rebuilt and hopefully it will be good for another 25 years. Its' getting a quick coat of paint to tidy it up for this year in a week or two, plus a 2" lift and some All Terrain tyres to beef it up a bit. It doesn't go off road, but it's nice to think it could drag itself up a track or off a beach if necessary. The intention was to take the kids to Spain in the summer, if the Corona virus emergency is over by then and borders are open again. If not, we'll be visiting the Highlands and West Coast of Scotland! (No bad thing!)

I've owned loads of air-cooled VW campers in the past, so this bus is a pleasant change. It's got tonnes of space inside, is super comfortable, has aircon in the front and back, night heater etc.. Being an auto, its dead easy to drive, although it's glacial slow. 70mph is cruising speed for the motorway, but it takes a while to get there..

Enjoy your Hiaces!

Attachments

• 20190622_105230.jpg
    20190622_105230.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 60
  • van night.jpg
    van night.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 55

ricardoalexm

Hi everybody! This is my first post and what led me to find this forum was a search for fellow Hiace drivers a few days ago.

This is my Hiace
InShot_20200326_194241000-02.jpeg

I am keen to learn more about these vans.

Anybody from the UK?

And Mankey, your is pretty nice too! Tell me more about your engine problem and restoration, what really happened?

ricardoalexm

Yes, Dutch Hiace 4x4 owner here!
The Hiace took us from Amsterdam to Tokyo overland! (and a boat ferry) Via Russia, Central Asia and Mongolia
It has parttime 4x4 with low-gearing and a (factory) LSD in rear axle.

It is slightly modified as you can see :)
Engine is the original 4 cilinder 2L, 2.4 liter diesel without turbo ( as simple as you can get), so not the 1KZ engine

20180723_122557-jpg.1883412

20180719_111437-jpg.1883411

20180731_171050-jpg.1883413

20180912_141259-jpg.1883415

phph8RN1N_DJI_0030.jpg

phpB8Qj99_DJI_0048.jpg
Awesome man!! I see this is an hold post. Still alive? ;)

Lovetheworld

@ricardoalexm

Yeah by now I think I know all the different versions that are out there, both the European market and the Japanese market. And then also the ones with the engines in the front.
There are so many versions.

Based on your picture I am guessing it is a LH119 chassis imported from Japan? So with the 2.8 diesel non turbo.

What are your questions?

Last edited:

ricardoalexm

@ricardoalexm

Yeah by now I think I know all the different versions that are out there, both the European market and the Japanese market. And then also the ones with the engines in the front.
There are so many versions.

Based on your picture I am guessing it is a LH119 chassis imported from Japan? So with the 2.8 diesel non turbo.

What are your questions?

Yes, I heard there are many different versions. I was actually very close to get a LHB custom 3.0 turbo Awd but luckily (I realize now) things did not go well and I end up on searching for Hiaces again and found this one. Although the interior/conversion is not as fancy as the custom, I am glad I end up buying this one.

And yes you are correct. LH119 2.8 4wd selectable.
My main questions at this stage are:

- Where can I get a manual of my van? I got the original in Japanese, and downloaded another one, actually very good, but in russian I found out later. Looking for an english version as it would give me some knowledge about the van.
- Where to find parts for it in Europe, both for mods and repairs as well?
- Know more about some basic mods without going through trial and error if somebody else alreay went through the process and knows exactly what;s needed. For instance, having new all terran tyres. I am looking at BF's 215 for the original 15 wheels. I read that 215 might be too big for some 15 wheels, also wondering if the wheel arch is enough for such tyres? not sure if it is my case?

Thank you in advance!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles