Any Handgun Hunter on here?

silvergrand

Adventurer
Hey Rupe,

I took the largest whitetail of my hunting career to date with a handgun. 10 yards, 44 Mag, one shot with a Winchester Black Talon ran 20 yards fell over dead! 13 point, 148 class (after deductions), 225lbs field dressed. He was a huge Indiana whitetail.

I now use a Savage Stryker handgun for deer and predators in Indiana. Long Bow is used during archery for deer.

Rupe

Adventurer
Congrates:clapsmile nice deer. Did you have it mounted? any pics. of it? I'm afraid the hunting Gods have decided that a forked horn is the biggest Buck I am ever going to get. LOL Out of all the deer I have shot, they have been forked horns except for the spikes that we get to shoot during anterless controlled hunts.

Rupe

Adventurer
KevinNY said:
You guys are inspiring me to take the Blackhawk for a walk in the woods soon.

Kevin you need to give it a try. It's great huntingi with a handgun. It's nice to just have it in a holster as your climbing hand over hand up hills. It's out of the way and light in the hands. Most deer are taken under a hundred yards any way so you might has well use your handgun. The only rifles I have now is an old 30/30, .22 Marlin,a 12ga., and a WWII Marine training rifle that is a .22lr. Almost all my hunting is with a handgun. I will use the .22 for squirrels just because I don't have a .22 handgun at the moment.
Go for that walk in the woods with nothing but your handgun.:gunt:

Clark White

Explorer
I've hunted Squirl, Rabbit, and Javalina with hand gun. First two with a Ruger .22 wheel gun, and the pig (I know, Javalina isn't really a pig, but they sure look like it so the name stuck :shakin: ) with a Colt .45 1911. I really can't say which I enjoy more, rifle or hand gun. Unfortunantly I really havn't had the chance to do much of either, but really I just mostly enjoy the hunt, regardless of what I have in my hand (including a camera if it's not hunting season). Hoping that I can swing some deer hunting this winter, probably with my Winchester Model 94 30/30.

Clark

KevinNY

Adventurer
Rupe said:
Kevin you need to give it a try. It's great huntingi with a handgun. It's nice to just have it in a holster as your climbing hand over hand up hills. It's out of the way and light in the hands. Most deer are taken under a hundred yards any way so you might has well use your handgun. The only rifles I have now is an old 30/30, .22 Marlin,a 12ga., and a WWII Marine training rifle that is a .22lr. Almost all my hunting is with a handgun. I will use the .22 for squirrels just because I don't have a .22 handgun at the moment.
Go for that walk in the woods with nothing but your handgun.:gunt:

As I posted earlier I've done it before but with the T/C. Never with just the sixgun. The 4 5/8" Blackhawk in a cross draw holster is like carying nothing at all.

silvergrand

Adventurer
44 Mag Redhawk Buck

Lets see if I can post my photos. Sorry about the size of the first shot!

TrophyMounts004.jpg

TrophyMounts001.jpg

Rupe

Adventurer
KevinNY said:
As I posted earlier I've done it before but with the T/C. Never with just the sixgun. The 4 5/8" Blackhawk in a cross draw holster is like carying nothing at all.

Sorry Kevin got mixed up. Forgot you had used your T/C.
Even when I had my big SBH in .454 with a reddot was better then carrying an Eight lbs. rifle.

FshTaco99

Adventurer
I carry my Sig P229 when I bow hunt in case I have to put one in the side. I have a friend who lives to pistol hunt. I just never got into it between the bow and waterfowl.

KevinNY

Adventurer
That's an incredible buck Silvergrand, you should be proud to have taken him after seeing that rack and still being able to hold steady. I'll have to get the one pic of my (much smaller) 7 pointer scanned in.

65Dormie

The Super Blackhawk in 44 Magnum is an excellent choice. I have carried an old three screw SBH since 1965. Have several molds for low cost practice loads.

PD

KevinNY

Adventurer
Cast bullets are not just for cheap practice, they are all I shoot in the 45 Colt. The local Pep Boys gave me buckets of wheel weights when I asked them, all for free. Add a little tin solder, drop them in water from the mold, and you have perfect hunting bullets.

Rupe

Adventurer
After seeing the distruction I saw after shooting a small buck with a 300gr cast bullet, I really like them for hunting. And going up against a big Bear they would be a good bullet to use. It was a little over kill on the buck and a lighter 240gr. partition bullet would have been just as good. I plan on using 300gr. hard cast on Elk with my .44mag SBH Hunter.

XL Bar

Observer
I have taken two mule deer bucks with my Smith and Wesson .44 Mag. Mountain Gun. 4" barrel iron sights. I used a 300 gr. hard cast LBT WFN style bullet cast from water quenched wheelweights/Linotype alloy. Hodgdon H-110 powder Winchester brass Federal primers. Performance was excellent. Buck number 1 was hit in the left hip at 75 yards and the bullet exited the right shoulder. Buck number 2 was hit through the front shoulders at 95 yards with full penetration.

Definitely very exciting to go out with "just" a handgun on one's hip.

Brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles