Any Handgun Hunter on here?

Rupe

Adventurer
I'm a handgun hunter, I carry a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in .44mag with a 4X scope mounted on it. I just got this one this year and have not hunted with it yet, so I'm looking forward to it. I have taken a 325lbs Blackbear, small Buck deer, and a Badger with a handgun so far. For those that haven't tried it, it is a great way to hunt. Sort of like half way between a rifle and bow hunting. Although some of the specialty pistols can reach way outthere and get something.
So anyway was wondering if there are any other handgun hunters here? rupe

02tacotoy

Adventurer
Not a hunter myself, but I can attest that Rugers do make fine firearms I have 2 P94d series in 9m and .40 cal.

Rupe

Adventurer
02tacotoy said:
Not a hunter myself, but I can attest that Rugers do make fine firearms I have 2 P94d series in 9m and .40 cal.

For the money you get alot of gun. I personally love Rugers and have had several over the years. The only ones that I had problems with was the ones that I broke because of shooting to many hot rounds threw them and any gun would break when you are shooting with max. handloads all the time. But even then I got alot of rounds threw it before it broke and then it wasn't anything major.

KevinNY

Adventurer
I've hunted with my T/C Contender and taken 2 deer with it, both at around 150 yards. One button buck with a 6.5JDJ barrel and a burris variable and a nice fat 7 point with a 358JDJ barrel and a 2x leupold. I also have a SS Blackhawk with a 4 5/8" barrel in 45 Colt that I have had the trigger worked and forcing cones reamed and polished on. I have yet to get a chance with it so far.

Rupe

Adventurer
Hey Kevin, Congrates on the two deer. Have you checked out www.handgunhunter.com yet? Great site for handgun hunters. There are alot of T/C hunters and shooters over there.
My deer was only about 15 yds. as well as the Badger, The Black Bear was at 80yrds and I took him with a SBH .454 with a reddot. I tend to brag about him alot. He is fully mounted standing on his back legs in my living room. rupe

KevinNY

Adventurer
I've curtailed my range time in the last few years, I used to be obsessive about it. I'd still like to take something with the wheelgun though and a bear hunt would be ideal, congrats on your bear. If I can get back to Africa in the next few years I'd like to bring it along to stalk warthogs, they are great fun.

Photog

Explorer
I grew up hunting with all kinds of equipment.

As for handguns; my dad & I used to hunt jackrabbits with Dan Wesson .357's. We used these same pistols for silhouette competitions, so 100 yrd hits on the Jacks were not uncommon. I never did use it for big game hunting.

I recently purchased a T/C .357, with a Leupold scope; but have not had a chance to take it hunting yet.

Handgun hunters are a fairly small group or folks. Nice to see others on this forum.

Rupe

Adventurer
Africa! I will only make it there in my dreams. LOL
I love handgun hunting and have given up center fire rifles, black powder, and bow for it.
I am hooked on the revolvers, but would like to try a T/C or one of the other single shots out there. Photog, I think you would really enjoy hunting with the handgun, you really need to try big game with it.
I'm also glad to see other handgun hunters on here too! rupe

maximumrob

Adventurer
I'm a hunter, but a piss-poor killer :( Guess that makes me a guy who just goes for walks in the woods with a gun.

Oh well, it gets me outside. :)

EDIT - Forgot to add that I have a 7.5" stainless Ruger Redhawk and love shooting .44 SPL's through it. It's strong enough to load to 105% or more and I don't worry about blowing it up!

Rupe

Adventurer
That last few times I've gone hunting that's what my season was too. I guess that's why they call it "HUNTING" ! LOL The last thing I shot was a Cottontail with my .38 2" 5 shot.:gunt: Tasted pretty good though.

Africa- I'm having a hard enough time trying to fix up my JK. Who knows, maybe someday I'll get to go to the land of the Tall Grass. I sure would like to. I want to go after a Cape Buffalo, Impala, Oryox, Warthog, Tommy, Hartibeast, and a Kudo. (Spelling on these are not quit right I'm sure)
I think the Cape Buffalo would be the main animal and would like a trophy sized one.with the others as just a good animal to take.
Lets hear about your trip over there. If you want you can just PM me if you don't want to put it all out here. Love hearing African hunting stories.
rupe

KevinNY

Adventurer
You will need to start doing some research on the different animals and their ranges. For instance, a tommie, or thompsons gazelle, is limited to certain areas on Tanzania and only available on a longer hunts liscense. A hunt in South Africa with Greater Kudu, impala, gemsbok, warthog and wildebeest can be done for under 10k. Buffalo is more expensive but relatively cheap in Zimbabwe, expensive but better hunting in Tanzania but less plains game opportunity.

Rupe

Adventurer
Yes, I've been doing alittle research over the past few years. Having to save up even 10 G's is hard to do when your on a fixed income. I'm having a hard enough time just trying to save enough for lower gears for my Jeep. :(
Plus trying to buy some property out in the middle of no where. So it's going to be along time before I will ever get there if at all. rupe

robertdarin

Adventurer
i do not hunt with my ruger security six .357 mag alone but i do carry it with my 30/30. never killed any deer with it but give me time. i am only good enough with the .357 and iron sights out to about 60 yards.

Rupe

Adventurer
robertdarin said:
i do not hunt with my ruger security six .357 mag alone but i do carry it with my 30/30. never killed any deer with it but give me time. i am only good enough with the .357 and iron sights out to about 60 yards.

Hey robertdarin that is plenty far enough with a .357 to take a deer. I think that is going to be pretty much the limit for a good clean kill with iron sights and a ..357.
The hardest think when I first started handgun hunting was leaving my rifle at home. Once I did and got a deer then I relized that I had the skills and that I didn't need the security of my rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles