Any good uses for gray water?

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Trying to figure out a good use for gray water. I was thinking about running a separate pump and using it to clean mud off the tires, thoughts? :snorkel:

oldnslow

Observer
After its been in the tank a couple of days it smells pretty ripe. Be careful where you use it.

It may also clog up your pump unless you filter it well.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I would not do this in camp. I bought a cassette toilet so I would not have to visit an rv dump. Should I plumb it to a container instead of an on-board tank for easier disposal?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
It really depends on what you are using the sink for and what ultimately goes down the drain...

We try to scrape and wipe dishes with paper towels into the garbage before they get to the sink for cleaning. The only other use that results in grey water is washing hand and the occasional sponge bath.

If you keep the grey water relatively clear of food stuffs, feel free to use it for anything you can think of short of baths and drinking. If you are dumping chicken remnants down the sink, then steer clear.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Thanks IdaSHO, my use will be similar. I will be washing hands and showers. All food waste will go in the trash.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Ours drains into a 5 gallon bucket next to the camper (via a simple PVC pipe that gets removed for travel), then used to either douse the campfire, or water a thirsty bush if we don't have a fire.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
You mentioned a cassette toilet.
Are you using the gray water to flush?

Ours drains into a 5 gallon bucket next to the camper (via a simple PVC pipe that gets removed for travel), then used to either douse the campfire, or water a thirsty bush if we don't have a fire.

Good idea on rinsing the cassette! I think I will drain it into a portable tank mounted below the box instead of a fixed tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz