Any GMT900 Suburban/XL 2500 builds here?

Matt_

Observer
Hard to come by built 2500 SUVs... and those that I do find are normally huge lifts with small tires and 24" wheels. Figured this would be a better place to look for like minded owners with "moderate" builds. I have a small lift for mine on order and am going through the common internal struggle of which tires and which sizes. Doesn't help that I can't find many examples through searches to help make the decisions.

Glorifiedhabit

I believe the 2500 subs have the same front end as the Trucks? If so look at the kryptonite steering stuff. I've had a kit for 100k on my 08 duramax. Big beefy parts with a lifetime warranty. Put on a level lift with some good shocks and go.

Matt_

Observer
I believe the 2500 subs have the same front end as the Trucks? If so look at the kryptonite steering stuff. I've had a kit for 100k on my 08 duramax. Big beefy parts with a lifetime warranty. Put on a level lift with some good shocks and go.

Yes, same drivetrain and steering as the 2500hd trucks (up till 2010, the trucks changed in 2011).

I already ordered the Cognito 4" NTBD suspension lift with Fox shocks, and will be regearing to 4.56.

Tires are what's perplexing. This is my 3rd GM truck so I'm very familiar with the trimming necessary to fit larger tires. I'm already running 305/60/18 with no lift, and they're not much smaller than most 33s, so I'm contemplating trying 35s with the lift... but most lifted burbs with 35s are running over 6". I want to keep my kit in the 4-5" range for better suspension geometry.

Smileyshaun

Observer
I had a 99 with a 2" body lift and Ford keys in it and had no problem clearing 35s. The trimming needed to clear a 35 is minimal, there's a guy on here with 37s on his with it think a 3" lift

Matt_

Observer
I had a 99 with a 2" body lift and Ford keys in it and had no problem clearing 35s. The trimming needed to clear a 35 is minimal, there's a guy on here with 37s on his with it think a 3" lift

The gmt900 body style has a much harder time fitting larger tires than the older styles. gmt800 and earlier was a bit easier, especially if bumper trimming was required

Matt_

Observer
Think I have a plan...

Current 305/60/18 ATZ's are 32.6x12.1 according to their spec. The 295/70/18 Cooper STT Pro's are 34.5x12... same width with an inch more sidewall.

My lift kits being delivered today :jumping:.... next step will be test fitting my current wheels on the spindle to see if theyll fit. They have 5.7" backspace which may be an issue. Worst case I get a new set with 5" backspace. Mickey Thompson MM-164B should work nicely and keep my current style.

As a matter of fact, just found a picture of the Cooper/Mickey tire wheel combo lol

Attachments

• stt pro.jpg
    stt pro.jpg
    377.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 2017-12-16 09.38.06.jpg
    2017-12-16 09.38.06.jpg
    464.9 KB · Views: 102

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
That configuration (GMT-900 2500) is kind of a unicorn to begin with. Sub'd as I would like to see a nice one get built.

Matt_

Observer
A unicorn it is... flew half way across the US to buy it.

Might as well change the title and make this my build thread :smiley_drive:

Matt_

Observer
Any reason to not run 255/85r16's, they measure 33.4 inches if memory serves and should require no trimming.

They're smaller than my current tires, which I already fit without the lift that's sitting in my garage waiting to be installed.

I also plan on beach use which requires more width for better float. Gas mileage isn't a concern so there's really no benefit going with such a skinny tire. And honestly 255 is an absurdly thin tire for such a large vehicle.... I like things to look proportional on my builds.

Tiki

Observer
If your going to be installing a lift, might as well throw on all the other 2500 upgrade parts that exist.

Matt_

Observer
If your going to be installing a lift, might as well throw on all the other 2500 upgrade parts that exist.

Lol it's really easy to "throw on" another $1000 in parts when it's someone else's money :********:

.... but yeah, that'll be in the next round of upgrades. Only have 70k miles on the truck and the front end is solid as it's had a very benign life for a 2500 thus far. Lift, tires, and gears this year, then steering components and UCA upgrade when parts start to wear.

Looking forward to the next stage of this build though!!

2018-01-15 13.59.56-1

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Nice load of goodies you have there Mat. Your truck will be happy when they are installed. Keep us updated on your progress. Cheers, Chilli...:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles