Any Fully built F150 expedition builds?

zimm

Expedition Leader
I get it, sorry for being a bit slow in the head. I guess I couldn't see the sarcasm behind the text. The consensus here seemed to be that a half ton was not worth getting for an expo vehicle.

i think that has to do with size. the bigger truck is going to have a larger... whatever... in the bed, and it can physically fit an actual payload. in adition, when you look around, there isnt much a premium over the loaded half, to get a decent 3/4.

all and all it makes the 3/4-1ton varients hard to turn down, if work and not mall cruising, is the end game for the truck.

on the upside, if you plan well, and dont overload the 1/2, you will be rewarded with SIGNIFICANTLY improved mileage.

Dirtytires

Explorer
Why did the ************** have to ruin this thread?It has potential. If you dont like the fact that a member here wants to build a 1/2 ton or 3/4
ton don't read the post. I look forward to this thread being a good collection of builds for the fulls size explorers as myself and others.

bob91yj

Resident **************
One of my favorite Baja shots, taken at Bahia de Los Angeles.

DSCF0266-1.jpg

It's the F-150 from this thread...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...F150-Pre-runner-Expo-build?highlight=fat+city

This build was originally posted on Pirate 4x4, so you know it is FULLY getting it!:violent-smiley-031:

tcdent

Fat City does legit work. You'll also notice that he completely replaced the half-ton suspension!

Wyocrawler

Observer
Because we can buy them here in the US. If they are only available in other parts of the world, they are automatically better for overlanding. Especially if they are only available in Australia, and bonus points if it's a diesel stick shift with tall skinny tires.

OMG! I think I just hurt my self laughing.

Seriously build what works for you and what you like. You don't need a disco or a Hilux to get out and see the country.

Dirtytires

Explorer
Nice Raptor, but brother that thing is a dirt racing truck. I looked at one a few weeks ago i love the interior and all
but not my taste.

Vzfit

Observer
Raptor w/ a pop-up camper suits my needs

IMG_0327.jpg

Still drives/performs great while maxing out the payload.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Nice truck/rig, love the Raptor builds. So many great vehicles here.....but

I don't post much anymore, I've learned, that in these types of forums, that the dream is commercially driven, macho cliff scaling rigs seem to be the scared cow, regardless of how impractical they might be. I'm not so sure there is any space on this planet that you couldn't get parts for an F-150, in some areas you may have to wait longer, but considering all things out there to travel in or on, you won't be stranded that long. Chances are, you'll never go to such remote areas that you really need an egomobile.

I've considered getting a larger vehicle, commercial and private as well as all kinds of trailers. The very best vehicle to go in is the one you have. There is no reason an F-150 can't do enough to get you there, if you simply must go over bolder, get a trailer and haul a 4 wheeler or trail bike, if you must cross a river a quarter mile wide, take an inflatable raft. And how often does that really happen? :)

Never had a 5 ton truck, but drove a few, no thanks. I've had Mazda, Ram and Dodge Raider, the Honda, Pathfinders (2), Bronco, Trail Blazer, Ranger, Excursion, my F-150 and nearly a hundred cars over 45 years, nothing was perfect. If I were going to do something crazy, I'd probably go with a duce n half or a Mog, but I'd rather not change a tire on either one much less travel at 50 mph on the highway.

I don't mean to tick off folks, but seems easy to do without meaning too, but while I could be considered new to much of this I'm not new to traveling by vehicle, including military vehicles. To say one vehicle is better than another is never correct in all cases or even possible in most cases. The question should be, what's the best vehicle to accomplish this defined mission.....now you can qualify the vehicle to a stated need. Best SUV of the year? Best for what? I'm not liking my mpg with my F-150, but I know I'm happier than the guy with a F-250, 350, 450 or larger trucks. I need to travel lighter, but I go further on a dollar too. I may get there quicker too, if time is important.

Not saying at all that larger trucks or any other vehicle isn't great to have or use, each will have pluses, advantages over other vehicles, there will also be disadvantages, there is always a trade off.

Being totally dependent on your vehicle doesn't mean 6,000 pounds of stuff, I've been out for more than a month with only what I could carry, having a VW bug would have been a luxury, an F-150 heaven, compared to what can be done. I just don't really need a wine cooler and a fridge.

So, IMO, your F-150 is a great vehicle to build, to it's limitations and to use for the purposes it is modified for. Best thing to travel with is a good credit card and a cell phone, a radio is good stuff too.

Looking forward to watching your build, but you'll probably do more to yours than I will to mine, I'm sure mine will make it to Alaska the way it sits, or to Mexico City and it's stock! :)

Last edited:

Vzfit

Observer
Nice rig! If you don't mind me asking, what sort of gas mileage (hwy/off road) do you get?

The best I have gotten with the camper is 13.1 mpg. The best I have gotten without it is 16 mpg. Off road with or without camper is usually around 12 mpgs.

JJackson

Explorer
The best I have gotten with the camper is 13.1 mpg. The best I have gotten without it is 16 mpg. Off road with or without camper is usually around 12 mpgs.

Not bad at all, my 2004 super cab with a regular truck cap an no mods on usually on gets around 12-13, though it is mostly driven around town. My F250 long bed work truck with the 6.2L with the the tool boxes, winch and other things see and average of 11.5 mpg and part of that is highway.

DaveNay

Adventurer
Not bad at all, my 2004 super cab with a regular truck cap an no mods on usually on gets around 12-13, though it is mostly driven around town. My F250 long bed work truck with the 6.2L with the the tool boxes, winch and other things see and average of 11.5 mpg and part of that is highway.

My '04 SCAB with cab high cap only gets ~15MPG on highway. It's actually very disappointing.

Quill

Adventurer
Everyone should remember that the Model T was one of the first overland vehicles. Compare the F150 to the Model T. Everyone should ask themselves honestly what you want out of your rig. Realistically not imagined. I had a lot of adventures with a two wheeled drive Ford Courier, which was a plain Mazda truck. Went up a lot of nasty logging roads. I could go a lot more places with a bobbed deuce and 1/2. Do I really need it? Nope it's just a desire with a touch mental machismo. Find out what a rancher drives into the back country, the Border Patrol, DEA etc. Sure they have some specialized rigs but they go a lot places with fairly standard vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles