Any F150 hybrid owners?

phsycle

Adventurer
Just window shopping. I’d not get a hybrid until someone comes out with a plug in version with 20-30 mile EV range. (Hopefully 2023???)

But just curious of those that currently have a hybrid. Any regrets/disappointments?

I’d be highly interested in a PHEV and 7.2kw generator. More power for Glamping means my wife/kids would more readily want to come out with me. Not looking for power for video games or phones, as the kids are more than content playing around the campgrounds. But running a fridge, camp lights, etc. I do have a 500w Goal Zero w solar panel, but wouldn’t mind something w more power and always ready to go. And as small as the battery and panel are, I wouldn’t mind leaving them behind, if I could.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Just window shopping. I’d not get a hybrid until someone comes out with a plug in version with 20-30 mile EV range. (Hopefully 2023???)

But just curious of those that currently have a hybrid. Any regrets/disappointments?

I’d be highly interested in a PHEV and 7.2kw generator. More power for Glamping means my wife/kids would more readily want to come out with me. Not looking for power for video games or phones, as the kids are more than content playing around the campgrounds. But running a fridge, camp lights, etc. I do have a 500w Goal Zero w solar panel, but wouldn’t mind something w more power and always ready to go. And as small as the battery and panel are, I wouldn’t mind leaving them behind, if I could.
Have you seen all the videos that Andre at TFL has done on his? One thing for sure the truck is a rocket.

hour

Observer
I wanted one for the pro power onboard.. even the 2.2kw one would be damn useful for my uses (and more than cover the loads you mentioned)

I don't know what state of charge the battery has to reach for the truck to turn itself on, nor how long it runs for / what the charge rate is. I do know that it'd be a hell of a lot cooler if the hybrid battery was significantly larger, and if the truck was slamming it with current. If the truck turned on once in a long 3 day weekend running fridge/lights/odds and ends, super cool. I wouldn't be too enthused hearing it 3x a day.

I only care about fuel economy when I'm running on the interstate, especially tank to tank road trips. Powerboosts allegedly don't improve that at all, and that's the only negative I've read from owners. I didn't know that, and apparently they didn't either. On the interstate it's just a normal 3.5L ecoboost... so by the time I got done with the usual lift/tires/gear song and dance I'd be seeing the same dismal 13-14mpg @ 80mph. Might be perfect for you though since you expressed interest in a truck with 30mi EV range - which I interpret as frequent around town trips. Bet it'd help then.

phsycle

Adventurer
Have you seen all the videos that Andre at TFL has done on his? One thing for sure the truck is a rocket.

I’ve seen of few of their videos on the F150. Not sure what it is, but I just can’t take those guys seriously, so I don’t really put much on what they’ve got to say. But I’ll have to check out more of their F150 hybrid specific videos.

phsycle

Adventurer
I wanted one for the pro power onboard.. even the 2.2kw one would be damn useful for my uses (and more than cover the loads you mentioned)

I don't know what state of charge the battery has to reach for the truck to turn itself on, nor how long it runs for / what the charge rate is. I do know that it'd be a hell of a lot cooler if the hybrid battery was significantly larger, and if the truck was slamming it with current. If the truck turned on once in a long 3 day weekend running fridge/lights/odds and ends, super cool. I wouldn't be too enthused hearing it 3x a day.

I only care about fuel economy when I'm running on the interstate, especially tank to tank road trips. Powerboosts allegedly don't improve that at all, and that's the only negative I've read from owners. I didn't know that, and apparently they didn't either. On the interstate it's just a normal 3.5L ecoboost... so by the time I got done with the usual lift/tires/gear song and dance I'd be seeing the same dismal 13-14mpg @ 80mph. Might be perfect for you though since you expressed interest in a truck with 30mi EV range - which I interpret as frequent around town trips. Bet it'd help then.

Right, hybrid really doesn’t help at highways speeds. Which is why you see the highway numbers for typical hybrids are actually lower for highway mpg vs city mileage.

Advantages for me would be:
“City” mileage, aka lower speed stop and go should mean much more efficiency when traveling the backcountry. Meaning longer range.

Most of my daily driving would be city driving and usually ~15 miles/day at that, so a PHEV with would definitely help. If I needed to be on the freeway on a daily basis, yeah, I would look for another solution.

Full on EV truck doesn’t make sense for me, but a PHEV hits that “baby bear” just right scenario.

Have 4k miles on mine.
supercrew, 4x4, xlt, 7.2kw
It's awesome. Rides smooth and super quiet. Its my 3rd 3.5 eco and this one is a screamer NO LAG. The different drive modes are great. I stay off Sport mode-scary fast. If I drive at 75 on Interstate Ill hover around 2000 rpms in Normal mode. In Eco mode Its more 15-1700 rpm.
MPG I am just under 23 overall, in stop and go city/hwy 35 mile ride to work I get 25-26 in eco mode. In normal mode its more like 22mpg. After my 2014 its a 6-10 mpg improvement.
It does need under body protection. I didn't get the fx4 package which comes with engine and trans skids. RCI makes a set that'll cover the engine but not yet available for the rest yet. but it is new so it'll be a bit.

The back up beeper does not bother me. Really its not a big deal though forums are full of complaints. But it has to have it because its so quiet in E mode.

I can run my house on the 7.2kw generator. AC/furnace is no problem. The 240v will plug right into my backfeed set up on my house and I just flip the breakers I want.

I hate
Running lights are on when generator is on
Dash lights dont dim to OFF
Horn beeps twice if truck is running keys in pocket and I get out
Cant lock keys in the car without locks popping up
Cup holders in console are WAY too grippy
Cup holders in door are square and can't hold my yeti 20 mug.
All of the hates are little things. The horn honk can be fixed with forscan

I love this truck. I can't wait to get it out off road and camp a bit on it Hit me with questions

Jupiter58

I have a 2019 with just the standard eco boost but I am very interested in this model. Especially in SFL with the 7.2kw to power my ac during hurricanes. Much better than keeping a generator around. So you guys do the real world testing for me!

phsycle

Adventurer
Have 4k miles on mine.
supercrew, 4x4, xlt, 7.2kw
It's awesome. Rides smooth and super quiet. Its my 3rd 3.5 eco and this one is a screamer NO LAG. The different drive modes are great. I stay off Sport mode-scary fast. If I drive at 75 on Interstate Ill hover around 2000 rpms in Normal mode. In Eco mode Its more 15-1700 rpm.
MPG I am just under 23 overall, in stop and go city/hwy 35 mile ride to work I get 25-26 in eco mode. In normal mode its more like 22mpg. After my 2014 its a 6-10 mpg improvement.
It does need under body protection. I didn't get the fx4 package which comes with engine and trans skids. RCI makes a set that'll cover the engine but not yet available for the rest yet. but it is new so it'll be a bit.

The back up beeper does not bother me. Really its not a big deal though forums are full of complaints. But it has to have it because its so quiet in E mode.

I can run my house on the 7.2kw generator. AC/furnace is no problem. The 240v will plug right into my backfeed set up on my house and I just flip the breakers I want.

I hate
Running lights are on when generator is on
Dash lights dont dim to OFF
Horn beeps twice if truck is running keys in pocket and I get out
Cant lock keys in the car without locks popping up
Cup holders in console are WAY too grippy
Cup holders in door are square and can't hold my yeti 20 mug.
All of the hates are little things. The horn honk can be fixed with forscan

I love this truck. I can't wait to get it out off road and camp a bit on it Hit me with questions

Excellent. Thanks for the feedback.
I’m assuming you’re 100% stock (at least tires and suspension wise) to get those MPG numbers. I’d probably go 2-3” lift and 33’s so they’ll probably be down a couple MPG’s.

likely for sure. there's a long thread on the f150 forum where a guy lifted and I think put 35's on it and it never kicks on the e-drive just gas and his efficiency is in the high teens. But the 450/550 hp/tq generator and drive modes and standard 3.73 gear are nice. that motor is so snappy but tame. I love the way it drives and handles. Ill dig up that thread and share it here.

this is a 'take it with a grain of salt" type share here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles