Any experience with Ember trailers?

milo12

Adventurer
I found an Ember 170 MBH at a good price. It has true independent suspension. Seems better built than other typical trailers.

rehammer81

This is the first I have heard of this brand. When I initially saw they were manufactured in Indiana I admittedly cringed. After a little online research I'm a bit more intrigued now. I'm curious how these will really hold together seeing regular forest service roads and slightly less nice side roads into dispersed out of the way campsites.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

billiebob

Looks like you need yer feet in the shower to squat... and 1 foot in the shower, 1 foot in the tiolet to shave.... but if the priority is independent suspension.. have at her, let us know how it works. It looks like everyone must be quite short to sleep in comfort. Pre schoolers might love it.... adults must be incredible parents to survive it. I would think independent suspension is a non issue. $$$ can be better spent on space.

$39K pays for lots of motel rooms with human sized everything...... plus tents to get outdoors. $39K is crazy for this.

Last edited:

rehammer81

Looks like you need yer feet in the shower to squat... and 1 foot in the shower, 1 foot in the tiolet to shave.... but if the priority is independent suspension.. have at her, let us know how it works. It looks like everyone must be quite short to sleep in comfort. Pre schoolers might love it.... adults must be incredible parents to survive it. I would think independent suspension is a non issue. $$$ can be better spent on space.

$39K pays for lots of motel rooms with human sized everything...... plus tents to get outdoors. $39K is crazy for this.
You definitely don't sound like the right person for this than do you? That's fine. Doesn't really seem like your commentary was valuable or needed.

It's a queen size bed. If you currently fit in a queen size bed, my wife and I are 5'9" hobbits so we do, then you'll be fine. I don't have or want kids. So, kids are not an issue. I don't really go camping to spend a lot of time in the bathroom. In fact, I typically try to piss outside and I don't shave when camping usually. A quick shower is a luxury but not always a necessity. I'm camping. The wife likes a potty. Neither the wife or I are large people that can't fit well enough in a restroom like that.

The dampened coil independent trailing arm suspension really reduces the vibration beat down your trailer takes when you leave pavement and provides a bit of extra clearance to get back there just a little further and away from other campers or some nicer and less used camp spots. The big thing about this offering is that it is not wood stick construction that is going to vibrate to pieces like most of the U.S. made travel trailers and it doesn't cost as much as the legit Australian import off-road trailers. The construction on this is well above most of what is being produced by the mainstream U.S. RV manufacturers save a select couple that do not produce a trailer with the off pavement boondockability. Price? You have to pay more for that kind of construction. I can buy stick trailers that will vibrate to pieces in the $30Kish range. You are right, $30K buys a lot of motel/hotel rooms. I'm not interested in motel/hotel rooms. I'm interested in getting out into cool places in nature where there are few to no other people. Could I use a tent? Sure. I'm getting older and I don't find that very comfortable anymore. Also, one of the advantages that would get me out more is not having to pack much before a trip. Trailer is pretty much packed and ready to roll at all times. I wouldn't have the luxury of leaving my vehicle loaded up full-time with a tent camping setup.

In conclusion, seeing a new U.S. company with experience and connections from the mainstream U.S. RV manufacturing world start to get into this more off-roadish RV space with what appears to be a solidly constructed offering is great. They have experience with larger production capabilities and quantity of scale. This could be the key to a U.S. offering that is both well made and "affordable". I put affordable in quotes because that is subjective by individual but when you look at what equivalent imported options run, $80K+, it is more affordable.

TGK

I've seen some Ember trailers being towed on the highway here in Oregon. I was able to look at one at a dealer. It does appear to be a bit more suited for dragging down washboard than most of the usual offerings from the RV industry. I guess only time will tell. My wife and my interests would be for one of the smaller units like the 170 MRB and focused on dispersed camping on BLM & NFS lands. It has some features that fit the bill. I was attracted to it due to the suspension upgrade and in the belief that the structural integrity of the cabinetry is more robust. If I owned one, I'd likely remove the sofa in the front and leave the queen bed made up full time. Also remove the Jack-knife sofa to the left of the door and install a simple Lagun table set up with two seats. Disappointed with their having gone with a 12V frig vs LP. If I could, also ditch the AC, Awning and outside kitchen in the interest of reducing weight and cost except that is not likely to be feasible to order one that way. If I want to cook outside, I can haul out my 2 burner cook stove. My experience with awnings on truck campers is that they are more trouble than they are worth. Extremely wind sensitive making it unwise to leave unattended. I've come up with a relatively cheap alternative to provide a bit of shade from the sun when needed that is very quick to set up and take down.

While I think it's a step in the right direction, I get the feeling that they still don't get what many people are looking for when it comes to backroad camping. Too many amenities to mimic the feeling of not leaving home, which are not needed when camping in the boonies, that drive up cost and weight. TV's, AC, redundant cooking systems, bathrooms with "medicine cabinets" and refrigerators that depend on good solar or generator use when not hooked up to shore power. Solar can be sketchy if camped in heavily overcast weather and/or dense forest. Unfortunately, for me, it's 9ft tall at the sides and 10' 4" in the center with the AC, making it a deal breaker for parking under my carport next to my garage. I've owned a 1971 23ft Airstream for 17 years that fits nicely there, but have been exploring alternatives more suited for backroads for quite awhile. However, it seems that most all of the more box shaped trailers being built also have a much taller profile. Tearing the carport down and rebuilding to fit a new RV would cost thousands.

Lastly, regarding the price, the salesman shared that they are definitely seeing a slowdown due to the rising cost of fuel and interest rates. So, perhaps buyers will see a greater willingness to negotiate pricing moving forward than we have in the past two years with pandemic price premiums.

rehammer81

First day on the internet?

Bob's criticisms are just as valid and useful as your praises.
I just don't see the need for pointlessly subjective and not even necessarily true criticism of a product in a situation like this. The comments about the bathroom are exaggeration and the comments about the cost in relation to hotel costs is pointless to people interested in purchasing an RV and not staying in hotels. That is the only reason I commented. To each their own. The U.S. RV industry has been severely lagging the quality off-road trailer market so seeing something that at least appears at face value to be a step in the right direction is interesting and good to discuss.

Last edited:

rehammer81

I've seen some Ember trailers being towed on the highway here in Oregon. I was able to look at one at a dealer. It does appear to be a bit more suited for dragging down washboard than most of the usual offerings from the RV industry. I guess only time will tell. My wife and my interests would be for one of the smaller units like the 170 MRB and focused on dispersed camping on BLM & NFS lands. It has some features that fit the bill. I was attracted to it due to the suspension upgrade and in the belief that the structural integrity of the cabinetry is more robust. If I owned one, I'd likely remove the sofa in the front and leave the queen bed made up full time. Also remove the Jack-knife sofa to the left of the door and install a simple Lagun table set up with two seats. Disappointed with their having gone with a 12V frig vs LP. If I could, also ditch the AC, Awning and outside kitchen in the interest of reducing weight and cost except that is not likely to be feasible to order one that way. If I want to cook outside, I can haul out my 2 burner cook stove. My experience with awnings on truck campers is that they are more trouble than they are worth. Extremely wind sensitive making it unwise to leave unattended. I've come up with a relatively cheap alternative to provide a bit of shade from the sun when needed that is very quick to set up and take down.

While I think it's a step in the right direction, I get the feeling that they still don't get what many people are looking for when it comes to backroad camping. Too many amenities to mimic the feeling of not leaving home, which are not needed when camping in the boonies, that drive up cost and weight. TV's, AC, redundant cooking systems, bathrooms with "medicine cabinets" and refrigerators that depend on good solar or generator use when not hooked up to shore power. Solar can be sketchy if camped in heavily overcast weather and/or dense forest. Unfortunately, for me, it's 9ft tall at the sides and 10' 4" in the center with the AC, making it a deal breaker for parking under my carport next to my garage. I've owned a 1971 23ft Airstream for 17 years that fits nicely there, but have been exploring alternatives more suited for backroads for quite awhile. However, it seems that most all of the more box shaped trailers being built also have a much taller profile. Tearing the carport down and rebuilding to fit a new RV would cost thousands.

Lastly, regarding the price, the salesman shared that they are definitely seeing a slowdown due to the rising cost of fuel and interest rates. So, perhaps buyers will see a greater willingness to negotiate pricing moving forward than we have in the past two years with pandemic price premiums.
I can definitely understand your interests and thoughts on these. I too can't seem to find a setup that fully fits the bill. I always want tweaks I can't get. They are super expensive but have you seen the Kimberley Karavans? I find that to be a very interesting Swiss Army knife. I just haven't been able to talk myself into the cost. If the U.S. market could provide a fairly good quality option for a good chunk less I think I could figure out how to work with some compromises.

TGK

I can definitely understand your interests and thoughts on these. I too can't seem to find a setup that fully fits the bill. I always want tweaks I can't get. They are super expensive but have you seen the Kimberley Karavans? I find that to be a very interesting Swiss Army knife. I just haven't been able to talk myself into the cost. If the U.S. market could provide a fairly good quality option for a good chunk less I think I could figure out how to work with some compromises.

Yes, the Kimberly units are impressive, but the price is sobering. Although they also seem to strive to load them up with what I consider to be luxury items for camping. I recall one of them has a washing machine. Useful if full timing but a bit over the top for poking around backroads.

rehammer81

I joined the Ember Fan Page on Facebook and unfortunately it looks like a lot of early buyers are dealing with a variety of water leaks on several different models. Sounds like so far the quality is living up to Indiana standards. :-( They are a new product so I hope they will be motivated and iron out the issues.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Yes, the Kimberly units are impressive, but the price is sobering. Although they also seem to strive to load them up with what I consider to be luxury items for camping. I recall one of them has a washing machine. Useful if full timing but a bit over the top for poking around backroads.

The washing machine is a standard fixture in their Kruiser T3 model, but I've read about folks swapping it out for drawers, for an extra fridge, etc. It sounds like Kimberley is happy to customize each unit to the customer's needs/wants, and that's likely one of the reasons their prices are as high as they are. Limited production, high-end materials, and high quality are also big factors. One can dream :)

I suppose the advantage of having the washing machine is that one can bring less clothing and simply wash them as needed. And given the amount of sand/dust in many regions of Australia's backcountry, I suppose they may have a higher need for a washing machine than most folks in North America.

rehammer81

The washing machine is a standard fixture in their Kruiser T3 model, but I've read about folks swapping it out for drawers, for an extra fridge, etc. It sounds like Kimberley is happy to customize each unit to the customer's needs/wants, and that's likely one of the reasons their prices are as high as they are. Limited production, high-end materials, and high quality are also big factors. One can dream :)

I suppose the advantage of having the washing machine is that one can bring less clothing and simply wash them as needed. And given the amount of sand/dust in many regions of Australia's backcountry, I suppose they may have a higher need for a washing machine than most folks in North America.
Without turning this into a Kimberley thread, if I was going with one it would likely be either the Karavan or the E-Class. If I'm going with a Kimberley it is for their proven off-roadability and quality and I want it to be on the smaller end. Just my opinion but the larger you go the more you depart from the need for an off-road trailer. Why pay the premium for an off-road trailer?

In these Embers, the 170 models would interest me the most. I'd like them to make a 170 MSL. At 20ft total length you are really pushing the limits of how off-roadable it can really be. It just depends how much capability you are after. I don't really want the reliability risk of a slide out. I like the configurable storage space of that bunk area. I would like to lose the sofa and have just a fold up table with a couple chairs. Ideally, a north/south queen bed could be figured out. Kimberley did it with their E-Class.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94