Any Ex-Jeep Guys Miss Their Jeep?

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Oh yeah another thing I DO NOT miss about my XJ's... THe back seat should be classified by the Geneva COnvention as a torture chamber. Anyone who's owned a 4dr XJ knows what I'm talking about aye ;)

Scottydog: Nice looking 80... Also, I love that when you edited your post you made the witty remark in the WHY section HAHAHAHAHAHA I thought I was the only one who did that :D

Cheers

DAve

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I miss my Kaiser Jeep M-715 every now and again... but i don't miss the ride quality :D

Plus i have a TJ i get to drive around whenever i feel.

BOHICA

Adventurer
Whenever I'm driving my FJ Cruiser I happily miss my '05 Wrangler's death wobble and my '09 Wrangler's soggy carpets from the rain.

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
I've had three Jeeps: a 1975 Cherokee Chief with 401, 1983 DJ-5N with a computer carb, and a roller M1070 military ambulance. The Cherokee would run fantastic until the distributor mount loosened and it retarded the timing to a stall. The Postal was just plain crap. The ambulance was sold for someone else to work on.

I have moved on to Mitsubishi Monteros and a turbo Mighty Max. The only Jeep thing missed is the 401 running through two 40-inch glass packs dumping under the doors, uhmm that sounded great!

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Yes

I owned an '97 XJ, and I don't miss the mistery leak in the roof every time it rained or snowed. I don't miss torque steer, death wobble (I did figure it out after several months), or driveline issues even though I had the SYE. I don't miss the banging locker or the noisy roof rack, or the $300.00 repair on the door switch so that I could roll up the windows. I do miss the $1,500 in repairs just so I felt comfortable selling it. I miss 33X10.5 ATs, AX15 (5 speed), 4.56s and the good ol' 4.0l tractor it was. I really miss it in the spring when it is time for EJS. The Tundra just can't go the places my Jeep could, and the Jeep is no where as comfortable as the Tundra for everything else. I wish I could have had both. If I win the lotery, I will have one again.

Attachments

• goldbarrim.jpg
    goldbarrim.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Cliffhanger.jpg
    Cliffhanger.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Easter Safari 2008 033.jpg
    Easter Safari 2008 033.jpg
    541.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

JohnnyS

Explorer
LIke an idiot I sold my 1976 FJ40 & 93 FZJ80 to purchase a 2006 Rubicon Unlimited (I was thinking it would be like an FJ43).
I installed an OME suspension, bumpers, winch, roof rack, drawer, etc...
Too bad for me the heep was always broken, what a piece of junk!!
The 4.0 lunched at 17,500, bad oil pump. The lockers never worked properly, the build quality was abysmal, I actually can't think of anything on it that worked properly. Driving down a washboard road for several miles I realized that the tilt wheel mechanism would come loose pretty regularly, resulting in a steering wheel that moved around a bunch, how cool!! Oh, did I mention the death wobble? Pre-OME suspension it almost put me into a few tractor trailers at 75 mph on I-10. Wasn't bad if I balanced the tires every 3K miles.

I traded the jeep for a 100 series and have since purchased an 80 series & another 40.
I should have kept the original 80 & 40 and just bought a 100; it would have saved me a lot of money and headache.
Oh well, live and learn.
Landcruisers from now on!!

luk4mud

Explorer
On a really nice, not too hot, not too cold day, cruising around town kinda deal, yes I miss it occasionally. We typically run long haul trips so getting to and from the trail, as well as on the trail, no I dont miss it so much. I can also take my WHOLE family with me in the 80, which is what this is all about for me.

Not to be viewed as a brand bash, bit I really enjoy the piece of mind of the Toyota reliability. My 80 has 140k and I "trust" it alot more than my TJ with less than 75k on it. The TLC is just built better than any other rig I have owned or encountered. I have offroad friends in 80's with 200k plus miles still going strong.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Wow... this has just degraded into a "lets bash Jeep" thread, not an "Any Ex-Jeep Guys Miss Their Jeep?" lol.

I have owned Toyota, Datsun (Nissan), Ford, Chev, Dodge etc... every vehicle has it's quirks and some more so than others. The Toy 4 runner I had was fun, but it was small (though not as small inside as the XJ), rusty, leaky and I disliked the seating position. The rear window mechanism was a total disgrace for the engineering team who designed it. The Ford's and Chev's I had were, well... Ford's and Chev's. The build quality back in the day was not great for a lot of manufacturers, Jeep included.

I personally love my Jeep. Totally reliable, very fun and the kids love it. If I sold it tomorrow, I would very much miss it.

:)

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Wow... this has just degraded into a "lets bash Jeep" thread, not an "Any Ex-Jeep Guys Miss Their Jeep?" lol.

Seems like it!

I've owned a lot of different types/brands of rigs, and like GregB said, they all have good and bad attributes.

I'll never miss my Jeeps, becuase I'll never get rid of them. :ylsmoke: At least not the '46 2A my dad and I are building (he's 71 in 2 days, so it'll most likely be his last resto-mod) and my '80 CJ7, which I'll be handing down to my son.....in about 30 years!

:coffeedrink:

VanIsle_Greg

^ Awesome!

Actually, it's funny, the vehicle I miss the most is my 1987 Dodge Mini Ram Panel (picture Caravan but for fleet service). Had it for 5 years, did the heads at 120K, nothing else...drove it everywhere. Was the best camping/mountain biking/shuttle/road trip buddy I have had to date.

Er, besides the XJ that is. lol

Djlarroc

'Nother xj owner here..

Started off a few years ago with a '89 4Runner 22RE 5 speed. Great little truck. Very well built. Sold w/240k and still running great. It was kind of gutless though after going to 31s, and the IFS constantly had me worried on trails here in CO. I researched lockers and an SAS, and for the price of that, could buy a whole xj w/a mild build. So I sold the Runner and for less than a 1/3 bought a '95 xj w/3" lift. Put some 31s on it and wheeled trails I know that same 4Runner would not have done. Had that xj for 3 years. Ran hot, but never left me. Only did a rear main to it. Sold that, for a zj. Didn't like the zj, now back in a '97 with the better interior.

Downfall of the xj is unibody. Some frame stiffeners will help some, but not same as the frame. Lockers are super cheap, and worked well for me. Easy to mod, and Jeep community is a great group. Still like the yotas, but like the jeep better.

ScottyDog

Adventurer

Unfortunately on a Toyota LC thread... its going to happen....:victory:

have owned Toyota, Datsun (Nissan), Ford, Chev, Dodge etc... every vehicle has it's quirks and some more so than others. The Toy 4 runner I had was fun, but it was small (though not as small inside as the XJ), rusty, leaky and I disliked the seating position. The rear window mechanism was a total disgrace for the engineering team who designed it. The Ford's and Chev's I had were, well... Ford's and Chev's. The build quality back in the day was not great for a lot of manufacturers, Jeep included.

I personally love my Jeep. Totally reliable, very fun and the kids love it. If I sold it tomorrow, I would very much miss it.

That's right.. bottom line is, if it makes you happy, gets you where you need to go and it fits your family than that is all that matters right!:wings:

I wouldn't wheel my LC like I did my XJ.. So at times I do miss the bashing and not caring type of wheelin that my XJ handled...

Also, you can't compare a Jeep TJ or XJ to the 80 or 100 series, its like comparing oranges to prime rib... Jeep XJ new in 97 $20k / FZJ new in 97 $55k. Pay that kind of money you should expect better.. I know I would + would expect it to make an espresso for me!.. But luckily I picked mine up 2nd hand for under $10k

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
We had a first gen (hell first year made) Dodge Caravan with the Mitsubishi 3.0 v6 in it and we (it was my parrents car that we got when I was like 8 or something) drove that thing across canada W-E 13 times and took it across the country for soccer tournaments 1-2l times a year for the better part of 12 years... my mom would have dad and I put the studs on it and take my friends and I up skiing when we were really young and it got T-boned so bad I thought they'd total it...nope, it got fixed and THEN went on to finnaly die with 475K on the odo and even then it was the tranny that broke and the engine still started and ran great... A family friend donated it to charity so all in all I'd say that is actually the longest anyone in my family has ever owed a vehicle and I took the long way of saying I know exactly what you mean. :D ;) Oh yeah we'd take the seats out and shuttle the DH bikes in the summer too in it's final years (your mentioning yours brought back some great memories aye). That thing was amazing. Come to think of it I want that engine for my truck...

VanIsle_Greg

Unfortunately on a Toyota LC thread... its going to happen....:victory:

Ok, you got me there...

Yes, the little 3.0L in the Dodge was a stout little motor. A wee issue with the stem seals, but it is not that expensive to address and they run forever.

van r side fr angle.jpg

Terrible pic, but you get the idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior