Any concerns putting these on my 95 LS?

B.N.Z.MTNS

Elevation 8,500’
I found these Toyota wheels from a 2015 SR5. They have near new 285/75-16 Toyo AT2s.

I know they will fit fine on factory backspace, but the Toyota wheels are at 4.5 BS. I'm contemplating .5" or .75" spacer to bring everything back closer to factory track width.

-Does anyone know from experience if I will have to still bore the centers of the yota wheels if I am using spacers?
-Are spacers even a good idea?
-Should I just abandon the whole idea and find something that will fit stock wheels?
-If I get these, is there anyone interested in a nearly new set of Michelin LTX AT2 31/10.50-15 tires?:)

I like the look of these wheels and I think it will save some wheel weight to help with the increased tire weight.

I don't want to beat the wheel/tire fitment issue to death, but I can't find any definitive stance on using wheel spacers in these rigs.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1482084913652.jpg
    FB_IMG_1482084913652.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 13

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Center bore is too small, it takes a pretty substantial spacer to make them clear manual hubs. Maybe wouldn't take as much with stock flanges.

B.N.Z.MTNS

Elevation 8,500’
Been beat to death, a quick search for "Toyota wheels on a Montero" will provide you with tons of info.

I know the general fitment issue has been beat to death and I'm not one of those guys who is too lazy to do a bit of research.
However, I guess my main question was not regarding weather the Toyota wheel can be made to work, but rather the use of wheel spacers is a major concern or not. Depending on what forums you find, the answers are all over the board.
I guess I was looking for input from the veteran Mitsu owners that have thumbs up or thumbs down answers from experience.

RyanY

Adventurer
I wouldn't use spacers on my Montero with the kind of off-road abuse it sees. I ran spacers on a 240sx for several years and had continual problems with lug nuts loosening, despite being torqued to spec and the use of Loctite - the 240sx was my autocross car and was subject to significant cornering loads, which probably contributed to the problems. A vehicle that only sees street use would probably not have any problems.

Toasty

A higher quality bolt on spacer seems to work well, Lloyd and I both run them with 37's without issue so far. I would have to agree with RyanY's statement about the size of spacer you are looking at, probably going to lead to trouble.

Toasty

I'd like to add that neither if us like running spacers and the only reason we do is because of the limited wheel options for 17's. 17's do however have the better tire sizes so we make it work.

B.N.Z.MTNS

Elevation 8,500’
Thanks for the input guys.
It looks like the guy already sold them, but good info anyway. I was considering the larger wheel size for the wider variety of tire options in the future.

I'm thinking for now ill just stick with the 15s I've got, especially since they're factory alloys. Plus, I keep having to remind myself that I'm keeping this as a simple family friendly rig. "Simple" being the key word, unlike my previous rigs.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the input guys.
It looks like the guy already sold them, but good info anyway. I was considering the larger wheel size for the wider variety of tire options in the future.

I'm thinking for now ill just stick with the 15s I've got, especially since they're factory alloys. Plus, I keep having to remind myself that I'm keeping this as a simple family friendly rig. "Simple" being the key word, unlike my previous rigs.

I run the stock wheels with my 33x10.50 km2's like many others have and works great.

cr4x4cruiser

Observer
For future reference...

I seriously doubt you would have any issues running those wheels... yes, the center bores will require enlarging to 108mm, but it is easily done at most any machine shop. Backspacing, I believe, will be a non-issue - or, minor issues with full-lock rubbing.

Here's my experience with Toyota wheels mounted on a Montero [very little difference between our models]...
Link: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...d-School-Is-Cool-Toyota-16x7’s-w-FJ40-Hubcaps

I installed a body-lift [self-made] that is 2.125" high, no suspension mods, and have 265/75R16 tires... no issues, save for slower acceleration and a helluva drop in mpg [we're still checking, but I am hoping it is not the 30% drop I saw on the last fillup... we're going to verify this at the next fillup].

As well, this was done low-budget; patience, junkyards, CL... it's out there.

Good luck

B.N.Z.MTNS

Elevation 8,500’
For future reference...

I seriously doubt you would have any issues running those wheels... yes, the center bores will require enlarging to 108mm, but it is easily done at most any machine shop. Backspacing, I believe, will be a non-issue - or, minor issues with full-lock rubbing.

Here's my experience with Toyota wheels mounted on a Montero [very little difference between our models]...
Link: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...d-School-Is-Cool-Toyota-16x7’s-w-FJ40-Hubcaps

I installed a body-lift [self-made] that is 2.125" high, no suspension mods, and have 265/75R16 tires... no issues, save for slower acceleration and a helluva drop in mpg [we're still checking, but I am hoping it is not the 30% drop I saw on the last fillup... we're going to verify this at the next fillup].

As well, this was done low-budget; patience, junkyards, CL... it's out there.

Good luck

I did actually read your full write up while researching, and its actually what sent me down the Toyota wheel path. However, I didn't see the back space listed for the wheels that you used. I saw the width and offset listed, but I'm not sure if the Toyota alloys had different backspace than the steel wheels? My main concern was the 4.5" backspace bringing the whole wheel/tire an inch further in, therefore increasing the chance of rubbing...hence the desire to use spacers.

Thanks for the detailed write up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne