Any cheapo welder reviews/experience?

blu88

(For the do-it yourselfers...)?

Does anyone have any good or bad experience with any og the cheap invertwr type welders? Particularly 220V, multi-process, or even plasma cutters?

I am thinking of augmenting my old Lincoln 135 pro mig that has been tripping breakers as of late (diagnosing the problem: in the wall or the 14 y/o welder...)
I have an amico brand stick welder which is a beast for something so small.

Yes there are a ton of youtube vids, but any experience from an un sponored monetized channel would be most appreciated

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
On the MIG side of things, I have been very happy with my Northern Tool house brand welders. They are Klutch brand now. I started with a little 110v unit and moved up to a mid size 220v version. I've built multiple complete vehicles with them.

On the TIG side of things. I have an AHP AlphaTig. I still can't believe a 200amp AC/DC machine is this affordable. Mine is 5+ years old now.

On the Plasma Cutter. I have a HeroCut 45x. I don't think they are being produced anymore, but overall I have been very happy. It was one of the most affordable blow back start machines with a factory CNC plug that I could find.

blu88

forgot about Northern tool and klutch welders. I have been looking at Toolium and cut50 plasma cutters on amazon, titanium at harbor freight, and amico on home depot

plh

Explorer
I also have an AHP 200Amp AlphaTig around 5 years old already. It rocks. I've had a Northern Tool 110V Flux Mig for about 10 years, it is a get what you pay for tool. I wouldn't do a flux mig again no matter the brand.

blu88

I also have an AHP 200Amp AlphaTig around 5 years old already. It rocks. I've had a Northern Tool 110V Flux Mig for about 10 years, it is a get what you pay for tool. I wouldn't do a flux mig again no matter the brand.
is that because of the process? mig /flux?

86scotty

Cynic
is that because of the process? mig /flux?

I'm curious too. I started with a cheap flux mig and it did me fine for many years. I have never TIG welded but I bet it's like everything else, once you move up you probably never look back.

mmp3823

Observer
I started with a Northern tool 110V flux core welder and just stepped up to a 220V MIG from Yeswelder based on a recommendation from a welding instructor. They also sell a TIG/Stick/Plasma cutter machine that I'm looking at.

Stitebunny

Adventurer
I bought the harbor freight titanium unlimited 200.
It’s a dual voltage multi process machine.
It’s been a couple years and several projects and is still working well. I haven’t had any issues with it.
I’ve really only used the mig function.
I do fear finding parts for it if something does break.

Kevinm

Search primeweld. They have a good selection of very affordable machines. They have a REAL warranty and very good customer support. You cant go wrong with it. Ive got the primeweld 225 ac/dc tig and im very tempted to replace my lincoln mig with a prime weld unit. Ive only seen them come on sale once a year for black friday

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I’ve been pretty happy with my Eastwood TIG an Eastwood Plasma. My MIG is a factory refurbished Lincoln that I got through my industrial welder sales contact, it was pretty decent at 1/2 price but has quirks.

my first TIG lost all the smoke early in its warranty period, but Eastwood was super-fast about sending a replacement. Clearly infant mortality and Chinese IGBTs is a problem. We also face this at my work where we go through dozens of high-power IGBTs every year.

I wouldn’t buy Eastwood as a production machine, but as a garage hobby and projects toy it is decent and has helped me learn TIG at a good price point.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I fear that those that knock flux core are like those that knock Vodka.
Likely that the only example they have tried is bottom shelf, specifically the wire itself.
Correct prep, and good wire an there is VERY little spatter

Hand down the best tool investment I have made to date is my Lincoln 135+ I purchased it new in 2005 for around $500 as I recall.
Sure, its capable of running shielding gas, but even after running 500+lbs of wire thru it.... Ive stuck to flux core for it.
For the most part, it has run .030 Lincoln brand flux core wire. I tried a roll or two of other brands over the years, and they simply didnt compare.

Just incredible the things Ive built over the years with it. And being 110V, its light enough and plenty easy to run it off of a good extension cord to get anywhere.
There is literally ZERO regrets with this machine. Its paid for itself likely 10-fold since purchase. Hell, every weld on my current flatbed was done with it!

40909660933_57383b83df_b.jpg

I'm not one to post photos of welds, but here is one example of flus core on 3/16 steel, single pass.
There are a few dingle-berries, but not much. ;)

32382391138_9e7b882d6f_b.jpg

Now, as far as cheapo welders go.... I will say this...

My mom of all people has shown interest in welding.
Simple small hobby/art related welding. Just sticking steel together....

I gave her a few sessions with my lincoln wire feed to make sure she knew what she was getting into.
All things looked good, so I took a chance on a Harbor Freight wire feed. The smallest of their "titanium" line.
Seriously.... its actually a welder :oops: Blew me away. The thing is so small and light weight that it has a shoulder carry strap.
But the test runs I put it thru before wrapping it up as a Xmas gift were impressive.
No idea how long the thing will last, dont even know the rated duty cycle, but out of the box it seems like a legit welder.

Somebody mentioned Primeweld.

I picked this up for myself a few years ago, and used some of my holiday down time to get familiar.
I'm hooked. Its a fantastic machine. I have a handful of aluminum as well as stainless projects Ive been meaning to tackle,
and this machine will help make them happen.

52618209846_a1ef2b119c_c.jpg

blu88

I fear that those that knock flux core are like those that knock Vodka.
Likely that the only example they have tried is bottom shelf, specifically the wire itself.
Correct prep, and good wire an there is VERY little spatter

Hand down the best tool investment I have made to date is my Lincoln 135+ I purchased it new in 2005 for around $500 as I recall.
Sure, its capable of running shielding gas, but even after running 500+lbs of wire thru it.... Ive stuck to flux core for it.
For the most part, it has run .030 Lincoln brand flux core wire. I tried a roll or two of other brands over the years, and they simply didnt compare.

Just incredible the things Ive built over the years with it. And being 110V, its light enough and plenty easy to run it off of a good extension cord to get anywhere.
There is literally ZERO regrets with this machine. Its paid for itself likely 10-fold since purchase. Hell, every weld on my current flatbed was done with it!

40909660933_57383b83df_b.jpg

I'm not one to post photos of welds, but here is one example of flus core on 3/16 steel, single pass.
There are a few dingle-berries, but not much. ;)

32382391138_9e7b882d6f_b.jpg

Now, as far as cheapo welders go.... I will say this...

My mom of all people has shown interest in welding.
Simple small hobby/art related welding. Just sticking steel together....

I gave her a few sessions with my lincoln wire feed to make sure she knew what she was getting into.
All things looked good, so I took a chance on a Harbor Freight wire feed. The smallest of their "titanium" line.
Seriously.... its actually a welder :oops: Blew me away. The thing is so small and light weight that it has a shoulder carry strap.
But the test runs I put it thru before wrapping it up as a Xmas gift were impressive.
No idea how long the thing will last, dont even know the rated duty cycle, but out of the box it seems like a legit welder.

Somebody mentioned Primeweld.

I picked this up for myself a few years ago, and used some of my holiday down time to get familiar.
I'm hooked. Its a fantastic machine. I have a handful of aluminum as well as stainless projects Ive been meaning to tackle,
and this machine will help make them happen.

52618209846_a1ef2b119c_c.jpg
We probably got our machines around the same time, lol. I just wish the overload protection would kick in so I didn't have to keep tripping a breaker and making laps to the basement. I swapped another 20 amp breaker and same thing. It's 10 gauge wire in the wall, too.
Btw, you do great work. I remember the first rig you built and documented on pirate4x4.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
We probably got our machines around the same time, lol. I just wish the overload protection would kick in so I didn't have to keep tripping a breaker and making laps to the basement. I swapped another 20 amp breaker and same thing. It's 10 gauge wire in the wall, too.
Btw, you do great work. I remember the first rig you built and documented on pirate4x4.

Thanks, I aim to do work that I never have to do again. Do it once, do it right.
Not to say every bit works out that way, but the majority certainly does ;)

I too have found the limit of my "little" 110V Lincoln, many, many times.
But even on a solid 20A circuit, tripping a fresh breaker time after time after time, the machine just doesn't seem to care.
Pushing it so hard MUST be well beyond its rated duty cycle.

The ONLY thing I've replaced in all those years of use has been the drive wheel (once) and the sheath (twice)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior