Any cheapo welder reviews/experience?

blu88

I am looking for a MIG welder under $250. The amount is a bit arbitrary, but less is better. Here is the situation. . . Don't know how to weld. Always planned to learn and get a welder. Put in a 240 V outlet just for a welder. So, have both 120 and 240 options. If 120 only get me a suitable and cheap machine, then so be it. But it seems a shame to not take advantage of the 240. Based on what I've read, a MIG system would work for my needs. So that is set. But don't ask me about inverters or TIG capable or any of that. I am too ignorant. I need something to learn on and complete basic projects. I am currently turning an old Wheel Horse garden tractor rolling chassis into a 4-wheel wagon, and will need to fabricate some steering parts and more. I could cut the right parts and take them to be welded, or I could start now on my welding journey. Current and future needs are at least 1/4" steel plate, but can see thinner material in the future. Harbor Freight is not the only game in town. Many other options out there. What do you recommend?

Flux core is simple but messy. It is like stick. It can weld through rust and paint in a pinch (but prep your metal) and windier conditions (if outside). Lots of spatter, but can clean up pretty well. No shielding gas needed.
Except for a welding class over a decade ago, I have only used flux (fcaw) and stick (smaw).
If you use flux with 110v, use .030 wire. I am partial to Lincoln electric wire (NR211). 220v can weld most anything that is available from a big box store.
Idasho speaks well of the technique, and has more and better work than I.
As far as machine, try and get a mig/flux machine, that way you can get a bottle and weld mig. (Lincoln's are over 500 new.) And I still haven't made up my mind which chinese inverter type welder i am buying. (The new breaker seems to have remedied some of my woes...)
Hope that helps

Overlandtowater

The yes welder I bought has been great. It can be used it with gas and stick, it has a tig option as well. My welding skills are not the best. But it’s rated to weld 3/8”. The only thing I don’t like is that all measurements are metric.

motovan_mn

Another vote for primeweld. I have their 200A Tig machine and it's been great to learn on. Initially had a Vulcan Tig from HF but the high frequency start crapped out on day 87 of the 90 day warranty.

Whatever machine you choose, be sure to check the warranty period. Primeweld supposedly has great warranty customer service as well.

Also, don't get me started on the Vulcan auto darkening helmet. Flashed myself a handful of times before returning that junk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles