Any built 300tdi D1 owners here?

Viggen

Just here...
If so, how does the truck behave? How does the motor cope with bigger tires and the added weight?

revor

Explorer
My 110 has some mods. It has the 2.8 TGV turbo set up and the pump is turned up a bit. It also has a full width IC and a High Flow head from Turner engineering. Exhaust is next.
It is a workhorse, pulling trailers and lots of gear. with 33" tires and the 1.4 box it pulls 70 fully loaded on the hills (at 5200 feet) around here in Colorado (what oxygen?) Unloaded it'll do 75-80.
I shut it down at 220 degree's engine temp or anything over 1000 degree's at the EGT (post turbo)
It's also got a RTT helping with the aerodynamics.
If I had a want for anything it would be a lower first gear around town, once it's moving it's fine.
After putting on the turbo I actually feel as if the engine could handle an overdrive. I will do that but I'll likely put lower gears in the diffs so I can have a lower final drive in first.
These engines are so sensitive to ambient temps, on a cold day I can certainly go faster.
I will be experimenting with a bigger AL Radiator and a non clutch fan to see how these effect cooling.

Viggen

Just here...
Just wondering about how the 300tdi puts up with the weight of a built D1. Sounds like it does okay with a 110 but it also sounds like youve done quite a bit of work on it. Do you have to change to the 1.4 hi gear? Can you instead run different axle ratios? I think I read that 4.10's will do the same thing?

Wander

Expedition Leader
There is a guy named Dale that goes by Rovertrader here and I know he's had a few diesel Disco's. I'm not sure if they were 1's or 2's.

revor

Explorer
Do the math. .75X1.4X3.54=3.717 or .75X1.2X4.10= 3.69. Pretty close.
A D1 will have better aerodynamics than a 110 but it will weigh about the same, but theoretically can't carry as much (?).
Even stock the 110 does fine if you don't ming loosing drag races with Yugo's.
With the mods I've done I can now beat some Honda's..

timmy!!!!!!!

Explorer
Thanks for the math Keith. I have a few leads on a 1.4 case for my truck but nothing substantial yet. Crossing my fingers to have one by the end of summer.

pangaea

Adventurer
The 1.4 t-case is definitely worth it. When building the Bio Bonatti 110, it was originally had a 1.2 mated to the 300 Tdi. Big mistake. A 1.4 took its place shortly thereafter.

gjackson

FRGS
I have a 300 in a Range Rover Classic which is pretty close to the D1. With the auto it was pretty anemic, but that could be because the motor was tuned poorly. After the manual swap and re-timing, the truck went fine. Not fast off the line (need the EVO kit for that), but would do 75 to 80 on the highway and cruise like that all day so long as no slow traffic joined in front, no hills were involved and the wind stayed tail-wards.

Make no mistake this is not a fast combination and anyone who uses anything other than a 110 tdi as a daily driver will be pretty shocked by the performance. But there are tricks like the EVO kit that help tremendously with drivability. No rocketship, but good mileage, great torque and that fantastic tdi sound make it all worth it.

cheers

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
D-I Tdi 5 spd tuned correctly w/ 32's is a very sweet ride. Stock gears and T-case was a tad weak off the line, but super on the highway. Offroad, no issues. However, my point of reference is a new Tdi 130 w/ 255s and it was poor off the line, and not good on steep grades fully loaded- needed 4.10s badly. The Tdi XD 5 spd went to a first time Rover owner who loved it... feel free to contact for any add'l info. Also, pls note we don't mess with the motor except to tune to factory settings as it seems to be the best compromise and we usually sell them quite quickly and said settings please the most folks. The Tdi is notorious for not being quick off the line- even in the 4cyl diesel world- a bit more of a revor(pun intended)

Red90

Adventurer
These engines are so sensitive to ambient temps, on a cold day I can certainly go faster.
I will be experimenting with a bigger AL Radiator and a non clutch fan to see how these effect cooling.

Are you positive there is not some problem in the cooling system. There is nothing I can do to make the cooling fan come on for more than 5% of the time and is never, ever goes above 190. I live in the mountains as well and lots of long steep high altitude climbing.

Is your fan clutch working? Have you tested it? Most seem to not work that I come across.

Viggen

Just here...
Thanks for the information. The math especially. The truck is already fully built and Im going to have 4.10s swapped in anyway so the ability to not worry about swapping out the transfer case is a huge plus. Im in no need of a rocket ship but in need of an increase in range. If I can do 65-70 mph comfortably. Im a happy guy.

RoverTrader...PM coming your way.

piper109

Observer
Are you positive there is not some problem in the cooling system. There is nothing I can do to make the cooling fan come on for more than 5% of the time and is never, ever goes above 190. I live in the mountains as well and lots of long steep high altitude climbing.

Is your fan clutch working? Have you tested it? Most seem to not work that I come across.
I find the cooling system a bit marginal. I have to be careful going up long 8% grades with the a/c on in 90 F ambient temperature. I have to slow down a bit and go about 45 mph in third.
My viscous fan may need replacing but the rest of the cooling system is squeaky clean.

Steve

revor

Explorer
Every TDI that I've seen with cooling issues has a bad viscous. The fan does nothing useful until that thing locks up.

Fan should be good, the clutch is brand new less than a year ago. We're talking heavy loads here, on a "normal" 95 degree day she hovers at about 190 at 75. If I loose the Roof Rack and the Tent we do even better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles