Any Big and Tall guys made mods to fit in an XJ for Overland?

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
I’m wanting to build an Overland type vehicle. I’ve owned an 03 WJ Jeep Grand Cherokee Unlimited before and it was a great vehicle and I fit decent but the aftermarket following was limited and expensive and nowhere as easy to modify as the XJ appears to be. Also I had a 3” OME lift on it and had issues with springs popping out all the time when getting twisted in the rocks which was a pain to fix on the trail. Also I had blend door issues, a/c issues and really wanted to put a locker in my WJ but it wasn’t a DIY project and the local off road shop wanted like $2k in labor to put a spartan locker in the rear. So I’m kinda sour on the idea of another WJ but the XJ also has issues for me. My issue biggest issue is it seems the XJ’s cab is not very big and tall friendly. I’m 6’5 and 250lbs and the one I sat in was tight for leg room and head room. Wondering if anyone has ever come up with ways to make these more tall guy friendly? The other vehicle I’m considering is a Land Cruiser. But the issue for the Land Cruisers is people want a mint for them. Also I would expect there more expensive to lift and mod than an XJ would be. I figure I’ve got about a $10k budget to buy the vehicle and build it out somewhat. I’m sure over time I can continue to throw money at it but that will be may starting cash. Seems like I should be able to pick up an XJ for under $5k pretty easy then it leaves me with another $5k for mods to get started. I’m not wanting to build a rock crawler here more of an Overland style vehicle that I can drive for a 2k mike trip of paved and dirt roads and do some semi technical trails. We also love Moab but I’m not much into anything more than Hells Revenge level of crawling.

Also if I do end up going this route what are some things I should check on a used XJ to make sure I don’t buy a lemon? Also what’s considered to many miles to buy like 150k or 200k? This will not be a daily driver. This will be a just for fun and Overland exploring vehicle. I doubt I’d do more than 3-5k miles max per year on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd keep to the Wj. Mine sits at 5.5" and never had a spring pop out. No retainer Clips holding it in either. I'm thinking about doing long arms and maybe an 8 inch lift. I'm also thinking of selling to get a JK. Tossing it around.

Sent from my WJ

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
I can't help much with the fitment...

But I can give some advice on things to look for.
1999 seems to be the best year.
Last year of the ignition using single coil w/ distributor rather than coil packs.
Front axle is still high pinion non central axle disconnect.

Stay clear of the NP242 transfer case full time 4x4. The 231 is more reliable.
Stay away from XJ's with ABS (rear axle is dana 35c rather than the 8.25 Corp)

Factory tow hitch means better cooling for the transmission.

Being a unibody vehcile a few key things to consider.
Check for cracks along the door frames.
Steer clear of anything that has been hit hard.
stay away from anything lifted higher than 4" that doesn't have frame stiffeners installed
Stay away from anything that has the doors modified for removal

Most automatics had 3.55 gears in the axles.
The rare one with factory tow package should have 3.73 gears.

Oil sending units tend to leak.

Exhaust manifolds tend to crack.

Good luck on your search!

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
I can't help much with the fitment...

But I can give some advice on things to look for.
1999 seems to be the best year.
Last year of the ignition using single coil w/ distributor rather than coil packs.
Front axle is still high pinion non central axle disconnect.

Stay clear of the NP242 transfer case full time 4x4. The 231 is more reliable.
Stay away from XJ's with ABS (rear axle is dana 35c rather than the 8.25 Corp)

Factory tow hitch means better cooling for the transmission.

Being a unibody vehcile a few key things to consider.
Check for cracks along the door frames.
Steer clear of anything that has been hit hard.
stay away from anything lifted higher than 4" that doesn't have frame stiffeners installed
Stay away from anything that has the doors modified for removal

Most automatics had 3.55 gears in the axles.
The rare one with factory tow package should have 3.73 gears.

Oil sending units tend to leak.

Exhaust manifolds tend to crack.

Good luck on your search!

Thanks. Lots of great info there.

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
I'd keep to the Wj. Mine sits at 5.5" and never had a spring pop out. No retainer Clips holding it in either. I'm thinking about doing long arms and maybe an 8 inch lift. I'm also thinking of selling to get a JK. Tossing it around.

Sent from my WJ

I’m tossing the JK unlimited around also but I have to boost my budget a bit and I hear the 3.8l engine is junk so not sure I could do the 3.6 because Jeeps hold their value like crazy. People still asking $20+for 2012’s. You can buy a new 2018 for $32k. But I really don’t want to spend that much. My budget would have to be under $15k

nwoods

Expedition Leader
As you already know, the best way for Big & Tall to fit an XJ is to get a WJ.

Alternatively, you’ll need to replace the seats with some aftermarket seats that bolt to the floor or custom fab’d rails

Sent from my WJ

I’m tossing the JK unlimited around also but I have to boost my budget a bit and I hear the 3.8l engine is junk so not sure I could do the 3.6 because Jeeps hold their value like crazy. People still asking $20+for 2012’s. You can buy a new 2018 for $32k. But I really don’t want to spend that much. My budget would have to be under $15k
I'll sell you my Wj and you can go from there!

Sent from my WJ

It's a 2000 with the 4.7. It has a BDS 4.5" spring lift and 2" pucks. 17" steelies with 265/70r17's on it. 1.5" black wheel spacers. I have a brand new 5th spare with no tire on it. JKS adjustable track bar. Double din radio. IRO rock sliders. RC double steering stabilizers. 43k hid headlights high and low. 50" led light bar, comes on with a key fob from 50ft away. Side and rear led back up lights on the roof, they come on when you put it in reverse. Strobing rear led turn signals. They flash 3 times per 1 blink. Cb with whip antenna mounted with a Dodge Dakota fender mount. RC front pumpkin armor. Doors are on removable pins for quick release. JK aftermarket mirrors for when doors are off. Ax mounted on inside of hatch. I also have a mushroom air filter setup I was going to install for a snorkel to come out of the cowl.

The good,

Parts replaced within a year:

Starter, alternator, battery, CPS, front pads and rotors, front brake lines, rear shocks, rear RC shock relocators, front CV n half shafts, front wheel hubs, radiator and tranny filter. Front and rear diff's fluid changed and Mopar friction additive added.

The not so good,

Front wheels rub the fenders when turning hard, I think the springs are sagging a little, puffs a little smoke when it idles too long, steering box is loose inside and it's gets some death wobble now and again because of it. I was going to buy a Dodge Durango steering box but didn't get there yet.

That's all I can think of right now. If there's a picture you would like to see just ask and I'll take it for you.
150e94610d98e817937ccae007c100d9.jpg
32564a8f6186b45b39e4809df21fed6a.jpg
025e038a43b81078fc540ecdc1a8b4d6.jpg
600f9f9d77dc74bc6a0b8bab1dcfa213.jpg
0f2cab5388039c57091319e9d8b47ba6.jpg
bd211c1078d5d305fc5d422996c92ee0.jpg

Sent from my WJ

Heavyopp

Observer
I'm 6'1 and 217 pounds -- my biggest gripe with my XJ is the small doors on the 4 door version
It's hard to get in and out -- I fit once in and it's pretty comfortable

At your size I would think the bigger doors on the 2 door version are a must

ultraclyde

Observer
No help, but I bought a ZJ because the XJs were too small for me at 6'2" and 260lbs. Also too underpowered to pull my boat long distance. I avoided the WJ because I preferred the 318 to the 4.7. My ZJ is still pretty stock compared to most of the guys here, but it's comfortable on the road and has gone everywhere I want it to so far. The support is certainly less than the XJ but it's not insignificant. You can lift it and lock it to whatever level you want. Sure the stock diffs aren't great for giant tires and major rock crawling, but they're fine for overland type use - that's true for most vehicles. Bumper availability is not great, and there's a lot fewer farkles and sparkles available for dress-up but it shares so much of the running gear with other models that actual functional pieces are generally available.

JSwanson

Observer
I'm only 6'1 and my head is about an inch from the headliner and hits on rough terrain. I was going to cut down the seat mounts but the rears look like a pain to deal with. At your height you would be very uncomfortable in a XJ I believe. I have a lot of $ in mine and I personally love it. I agree 99 is probably the best year. Mine is an 01 and had a Jasper reman engine installed which was the big reason I bought it. 00 and 01 have issues with the factory heads cracking something to look out for.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
6'5" >300 here. My parents had an XJ when I was in high school (20 years ago) and it was cramped for me. I have a ZJ now, and am quite comfortable in those. Been in plenty of WJ's and I'd say they're on par with the ZJ's for interior space. My wife has a '15 JKU and I'm more comfortable in my ZJ. My head hits the cage in the JKU and my knees are jammed into the dash even with the seat all the way back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier