Anti-condensation mat?

s.e.charles

Please tell us what in a RTT acts as the "Vapor Barrier"? I don't think this is a good model of the mattress & tent floor situation. There's always some moisture in the air. It condenses on a cold surface. The trick IMHO, is to only let the moisture laden air contact a cold surface where there is air flow, such as the tent walls.

No doubt. But HOW under a mattress do you get AIRFLOW? The mat does not give you airflow, it gives you insulation or it basically gives another 1/4" between mattress and floor of RTT.

I think I agree with this statement more than what you're trying to push:

my advice is always worth what you pay. read up on thermal bridges if that's any help.

s.e.charles

Who said it was something new? Just how the mats work. Pretty sure I never questioned your "space blanket" idea. If you want to try it, report back on how it works.

about 1973 I stuck out to the commune in my 27 foot, 1956 Shult travel trailer. 1537830073658.png

well, the commune was the field behind my friend's old farmhouse, but we had great vision and enthusiasm on our side. Bud by the quarts and weed by the bag.
I set that trailer up on cement blocks, paid a guy $50 to dig a hole and bury a 55 gallon drum for a cesspool, ran a garden hose with a thermal tape wrapped around it, and was in business.

one night I got the idea to tie my space blanket across the ceiling. I had a propane space heater and could see the flames a-flickering through the vents. it was like free entertainment to see the light dancing off the silver, ultra-technological, finish on the silver side of the newly erected awesome awning.

the Bud & smoke overcame me and I drifted into slumber listening to the newly discover FM college radio station and the soothing strains of Dave Brubeck's Take Five (or Six - one of the many things which presently escapes me).

about 2 hours hence, I awoke to a dripping on my face.

if, Dear Reader, you have followed along this far, can deduce the source of the drops.

Roofnest

Hey everyone - Tim here - Roofnest's owner. I am sourcing some anti-condensation matting for my tents - thinking about making this a standard feature. Would love to hear from you guys whether you think this would be a selling point for Roofnest's tents? The matting I'm sourcing is a really good product - super nice. The plan is to include enough to cover the entire floor so it will go up both sides of the lower shell around the mattress - which I'm hoping will allow the area under the mattress to breath a bit.

Would be psyched to hear your thoughts!

Boudreaux

Moisture getting in the mattress or just condensation on the floor? The mats don’t eliminate the moisture but they are designed to keep it out of the mattress. Still normal to have moisture inside the tent and on the floor. That’s just what happens when you have warmer temperatures inside the tent than outside.
I had problems with it on the mattress, so I bought a mat. Now I just have it on the floor, which is OK if I wipe it off every time before folding up the tent. So because you can not get air flow under the mattress the only other option is to insulate the floor. This will reduce the temperature gradient difference between the warm mattress and the cold floor of the tent, thus reducing or preventing moisture.

Correct. Airflow is key.

ya gotta get some air moving in there to dissipate the moisture. it's not going to be eliminated otherwise.

Unless you connect a fan that blows air under your mattress, there is no way you can get any airflow under your mattress to prevent condensation. Airflow only works in the top of the tent to prevent condensation.

Box Rocket

I had problems with it on the mattress, so I bought a mat. Now I just have it on the floor, which is OK if I wipe it off every time before folding up the tent. So because you can not get air flow under the mattress the only other option is to insulate the floor. This will reduce the temperature gradient difference between the warm mattress and the cold floor of the tent, thus reducing or preventing moisture.

Unless you connect a fan that blows air under your mattress, there is no way you can get any airflow under your mattress to prevent condensation. Airflow only works in the top of the tent to prevent condensation.
Just curious. Do you have an anti-condensation mat? Interesting that in the top of the tent where there is the most airflow (as you described it) is where I see the most condensation.

Boudreaux

Just curious. Do you have an anti-condensation mat? Interesting that in the top of the tent where there is the most airflow (as you described it) is where I see the most condensation.
Yes, I bought a Tepui, sorry to tell you but it didn't help. I have no issues with condensation above the mattress, only under the mattress.
All my experience comes from backpacking with floorless shelters, they are all about ventilation. More ventilation less condensation, same applies to a RTT.
So with no way to ventilate under the mattress, it relies on the "insulative" layer of air created by the mat. Which in my case it is not enough, additional insulation is required.

Box Rocket

Yes, I bought a Tepui, sorry to tell you but it didn't help. I have no issues with condensation above the mattress, only under the mattress.
All my experience comes from backpacking with floorless shelters, they are all about ventilation. More ventilation less condensation, same applies to a RTT.
So with no way to ventilate under the mattress, it relies on the "insulative" layer of air created by the mat. Which in my case it is not enough, additional insulation is required.
I believe you may still get condensation under the mattress. So do I in my Tepui. But the mat keeps it out of the mattress. That's what it's designed to do.

Lionix1

I have a James Baroud Explorer and also purchased the Comfort Mat for an additional $275. I have slept in the tent every single night for the past six months and have not experienced any condensation. It will be interesting to see if any forms during the winter. I also run the solar roof fan throughout the night so I am sure that is helping also. There have been a few times where the humidity was especially high and the mattress felt slightly damn so I simply left the tent up and open during the warm day and all was fine.
Planning on doing another week or 2 trip this year to NC again. Sure we will hit some sort of condensation via rain. I will check post sleep.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
Floor condensation.... would a "fat mat" help insulate the floor from the cooler outside temps?

We run a 12V fan to keep the walls/ceiling dry

Lionix1

Floor condensation.... would a "fat mat" help insulate the floor from the cooler outside temps?

We run a 12V fan to keep the walls/ceiling dry

Doesnt look thick enough.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles