Anti-condensation mat?

s.e.charles

For what they charge why isn't FWC addressing the complaints? I've read about the issue for years now.
I have underbed storage on my Northstar which might be creating a dead air compartment.

unless i'm misunderstanding the big picture, wouldn't the addressing just mean including a mattress pad? and raising the price accordingly?

Lionix1

For what they charge why isn't FWC addressing the complaints? I've read about the issue for years now.
I have underbed storage on my Northstar which might be creating a dead air compartment.

unless i'm misunderstanding the big picture, wouldn't the addressing just mean including a mattress pad? and raising the price accordingly?
You can get them with the pad, but I got mine used. And the model didnt have one. Tepui got it here real quick though!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I used that Hypervent Marine stuff in my last RTT on my trailer (CVT Mt Hood). I also put a layer of Reflectix on top of that to help ro reflect the heat. I had to trim the hypervent to keep it away from the tent walls to allow it to properly breathe. The combination of the 2 worked pretty well. I am a hot sleeper, and without either the mattress had to be removed and dried in the house for a couple of days after every trip. After both I was able to sleep for 4 nights in near zero and get next to zero condensation.

Those Tepui mats look pretty solid actually... and probably as much as the hypervent to be honest. Its not cheap.

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
If condensation is formed due to the difference in temperatures would a layer of DynaMat on the floor of the RTT work? This stuff works great to keep heat out of the floor board and firewall of hot rods etc

http://www.dynamat.com/

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
I was thinking those rubber mats Farm & Dog(Tractor Supply) sells.

Complete opposite of what I was thinking LoL
DynaMat is thin and adhesive it wouldn't take up much space or move around, but would insulate from the outside temps

Lionix1

Complete opposite of what I was thinking LoL
DynaMat is thin and adhesive it wouldn't take up much space or move around, but would insulate from the outside temps
But the rubber mats will keep you elevated. Dynamat will compact.

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
But the rubber mats will keep you elevated. Dynamat will compact.

I’m looking at it from insulation standpoint not elevated or space.
Also being compact makes folding it closed easier etc.
I have no clue if it would help or not, I just know it’s great for separating temps.

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
Guess what I’m thinking or trying to say is if the aluminum floor is cold from outside temps and warm body heat cause the condensation, why could you insulate the inside floor with the DynaMat to keep the temperatures seperated?

ArkansasDon

Observer
Guess what I’m thinking or trying to say is if the aluminum floor is cold from outside temps and warm body heat cause the condensation, why could you insulate the inside floor with the DynaMat to keep the temperatures seperated?
my thoughts exactly. I define condensation as "warm surface or air is in contact with cold air or surface" you need that gap or space between mattress & floor of the RTT to ventilate. When I bought my Smittybilt 2783 RTT I purchased a CVT anti condensation mat too. I read up on why it was important to have this mat between the floor & mattress, if you spend good hard earn money on a RTT why cheap out on anti condensation mat that has a purpose instead of coming up with something else that is make shift & most likely wont work or do the job well.
003.JPG

Last edited:

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
Insulation mat to separate the temps and a pocket of air work exactly the same.......

And DynaMat isn’t cheaping out, not sure if you have ever looked into or tried the product?

ArkansasDon

Observer
Insulation mat to separate the temps and a pocket of air work exactly the same.......

And DynaMat isn’t cheaping out, not sure if you have ever looked into or tried the product?

now I take this your directing your post to me? I didn't have to look very far to find a product that works for condensation for a RTT. The mat "I" purchased is designed for RTT's & works & quite well & I am quite happy because I haven't had any condensation issues.

Yes I am familiar with the product & it's uses. For "me" used on a RTT purpose, I'll pass.

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
now I take this your directing your post to me? I didn't have to look very far to find a product that works for condensation for a RTT. The mat "I" purchased is designed for RTT's & works & quite well & I am quite happy because I haven't had any condensation issues.

Yes I am familiar with the product & it's uses. For "me" used on a RTT purpose, I'll pass.

Yeah you quoted me so I guess LoL
I’m just chatting about different ideas, I’ve read that the mats are hit and miss with results and there’s issues closing the RTT due to the thickness and they move around. So I was just thinking of other ideas.

Glad your happy with your set up.

Box Rocket

I am considering one of these as a budget alternative. I haven't needed one in the desert SW and have never seen any condensation. However, will in cold weather CO for a trip this fall and wondering if this would work?
Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/Thickness-Pl...sh+Felt+Rug+Pads-+Preserve+Rug,+Protect+Floor
This won't work very well. It doesn't allow any real air flow between the mattress and the floor and since it's porous and a doft material it will hold moisture and develop mildew. This will actually be worse than using nothing IMO.

If condensation is formed due to the difference in temperatures would a layer of DynaMat on the floor of the RTT work? This stuff works great to keep heat out of the floor board and firewall of hot rods etc

http://www.dynamat.com/
Something like Dynamat can work for insulation but it won't help with reducing or eliminating condensation since it won't allow for any air flow. The key to an effective anti-condensation mat is the amount of airflow between the mattress and the floor. If whatever is used doesn't allow that, it's not going to effective and will be a waste of money for the purpose of reducing condensation.

See my comments above. You won't get the necessary airflow.

Box Rocket

Here's some examples of common DIY attempts at AC mats that are not effective.
552101.jpggrey-interlocking-tile-tlp1818g-hd-64_1000.jpgrubber-floor-mats-500x500.pngs-l1000.jpg

None of these will give any real airflow to create a moisture barrier between the floor and mattress and as a result won't really reduce the condensation and keep the moisture out of the mattress which is what will turn into mold and mildew and stink.
Even the perforated mat won't be effective. While it looks like it would have airflow through the holes, when it is on the floor of a tent it is creating a seal around every one of those holes so no air can get through all of those holes.

In contrast as you look at the Tepui mats, you can see that the overlapping weave of the mat allows for a significant amount of airflow. It's also important to note that a mat that is somewhat stiff is also key. Anyone that has seen the Tepui mats first hand will know that they are pretty rigid and will not collapse under the weight of tent occupants. As a result the airflow isn't compromised at all from the weight of people. DIY solutions that use a foam type mat or something that can collapse or compress with the weight of occupants will not be as effective.
Here's the Tepui mat again for comparison.
ACMat.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles