Anti-condensation mat?

Lionix1

I ended up ordering a tepui one. Works well and great for cold nights.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Truefire

Truefire
What if you insulated the underside of the floor itself of the tent, from the exterior? Essentially they way homes are built. You don't see our floors condensating in our homes under our rugs and carpet because we have insulation and vapor barrier on the underside of that flooring. Could build a frame of the sort to catch and cover the edges of this insulation. Use rigid foam paneling like the vehicle firewall insulate or some of the other folding insulating membranes on the market. Adhere that well to the underside of the tent floor. If that section can't get cold, then it cant condensate under your body on the interior. A thought.

JCS2179

What if you insulated the underside of the floor itself of the tent, from the exterior? Essentially they way homes are built. You don't see our floors condensating in our homes under our rugs and carpet because we have insulation and vapor barrier on the underside of that flooring. Could build a frame of the sort to catch and cover the edges of this insulation. Use rigid foam paneling like the vehicle firewall insulate or some of the other folding insulating membranes on the market. Adhere that well to the underside of the tent floor. If that section can't get cold, then it cant condensate under your body on the interior. A thought.

I think the biggest difference would be that TYVEK is actually 'wrapping' your house around, overlapping coverage through all cracks and crevices; then there is more coverage above it, usually siding of some kind, plus additional R22 insulation on the inside of the walls. There are 3 -4 layers overall. THAT is why your home does not show condensation (Keep in mind in humid weather, without proper temperature control, even your home WILL condensate - have you even seen your walls "sweat"?)

I don't see as an option on an RTT just based on its inherent design with folds, hinges, openings and single layer construction.

Truefire

Truefire
I think the biggest difference would be that TYVEK is actually 'wrapping' your house around, overlapping coverage through all cracks and crevices; then there is more coverage above it, usually siding of some kind, plus additional R22 insulation on the inside of the walls. There are 3 -4 layers overall. THAT is why your home does not show condensation (Keep in mind in humid weather, without proper temperature control, even your home WILL condensate - have you even seen your walls "sweat"?)

I don't see as an option on an RTT just based on its inherent design with folds, hinges, openings and single layer construction.

Yeah I'm familiar with home construction, "wrapping" and humid weather. I'm keeping it all in mind, thanks. Tyvek isn't an insulation anyway, it's a moisture barrier. I actually wasn't talking about the walls, I was referencing the flooring. I still think insulating the exterior of the floor to some degree would prevent it from getting as cold and therefore prevent some of this condensation issue. I've never seen one of the tents up close, but there is a way to insulate that flooring exterior even around a hinge. What is the floor made out of on most of these tents, something like a 3/8" ply or?

JCS2179

Yeah I'm familiar with home construction, "wrapping" and humid weather. I'm keeping it all in mind, thanks. Tyvek isn't an insulation anyway, it's a moisture barrier. I actually wasn't talking about the walls, I was referencing the flooring. I still think insulating the exterior of the floor to some degree would prevent it from getting as cold and therefore prevent some of this condensation issue. I've never seen one of the tents up close, but there is a way to insulate that flooring exterior even around a hinge. What is the floor made out of on most of these tents, something like a 3/8" ply or?

Hummmm, interesting....I can't speak for other/all RTTs, but I think my soon-to-arrive TORRO Skylux hard shell RTT it's likely aluminum. I've seen ppl on FB post pics of ppl putting those single, self-adhesive thin carpet 'tiles' on the inside floor. Then you got your mat on top of that. The thought process was the same: try to keep the floor from heavy temp changes.
I'd be curious to see IF placing the same tiles on the UNDERSIDE/outside of the RTT, might achieve the same thing, and in effect, attain what you are suggesting. Avoid the floor getting too too cold. Interesting.....'cuz those tiles are thin and take no space, and even less if it was on the outside/underneath.

s.e.charles

thinking about things, and Not a suggested cure-all but rather a tempering measure, has anyone fabricated & installed a rubber skirt around the molded base of the tent unit and extended it down to close off the space between it and the vehicle roof?

think how a safari roof acts keeping the first offence of heat away from a vehicle roof. it's a buffer, not a complete solution. but it does help. 50 years ago i ran a plywood skirt around my hippy house trailer and it made a whirl (sic) of difference in the capability of the propane space heater.

a sheet of roofing rubber and package of snap-the-dot fasteners might be all that's needed to complete the science project. given a generous overlap on the vehicle greenhouse, the windward side would be pushed tighter to seal, and leeward fly free to let any ingress go on about its way. obviously the bed pan over the vehicle style tent would benefit most from this improvement, and some modification might be needed to divert away from a tent to ground vestibule lest it become an balloon. the skirt would be removed when the tent is prepared for travel, adding 5 minutes to breaking camp.

remember, when you see the Maggiolina or Tepui accessory for this, you heard it here first!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94