Antenna options for aluminum bodied F-150

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Thanks to coming across a terrible car accident in the middle of the Navajo reservation in AZ (where 911 doesn't work - how many of you know that?), I've decided to upgrade the comms capability in our camping tow vehicle, a 2018 F-150.

I have a couple of radios already, a Yaesu FT-50 HT and a Kenwood TM-261 2m mobile unit. I'd like to mount the Kenwood permanently in the truck's cab.

Mounting the radio will simply consist of finding a decent place to put it (my F-150 has the front bench seat so I don't have a real center console.) But a thornier issue is the antenna.

Normally I would apply the KISS principle and go with the "simple but it works" mag mount on the center of the roof. However, the 2015+ F-150's are aluminum bodied which means a mag mount is not an option (no I'm not interested in riveting or otherwise attaching a steel plate to the roof.)

A permanent (NMO?) roof mount may be an option, but the (mild) complication there is that I like to park the truck in the garage (I actually sold one of my motorcycles earlier this year so I would have room in the garage for the truck, after leaving it outside all last winter) so I'm looking to see if there might be better options than a center-roof mount. Also, we carry kayaks on the roof of the topper and while I could probably work around the kayaks, I'd rather not have to worry about a sliding kayak taking out my antenna.

So I'm considering an antenna that attaches to the front fender under the hood lid. Can anyone recommend a good one that will work well for both 2m and 440/70CM? I would have to figure a way to run the cable through the firewall and into the cab but I assume others have done this, either by using an existing grommet or by drilling a hole and putting in a new one. Obviously I'd prefer to use an existing one if possible. The F-150 has the regular AM/FM aerial on the passenger side (I replaced the long factory whip with a short stubby one) so I'd likely put the ham antenna on the driver's side.

Does anyone have a later F-150 that they've done this on that they could give pointers?

Thanks in advance!

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
I have my antennas (CB and GMRS for now, soon to be 2m/70cm) mounted in the stake pockets of my AlumiDuty. You'd probably get better ground plane with the fender/hood setup but not sure it's enough to really make a difference. I forget the name of the company off hand, but the website looks like it was made in the 90's, and I got my NMO stake pocket mount from them and have been happy with it. Much better than the FireStik version I'm using on the other side for the CB.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I have my antennas (CB and GMRS for now, soon to be 2m/70cm) mounted in the stake pockets of my AlumiDuty. You'd probably get better ground plane with the fender/hood setup but not sure it's enough to really make a difference. I forget the name of the company off hand, but the website looks like it was made in the 90's, and I got my NMO stake pocket mount from them and have been happy with it. Much better than the FireStik version I'm using on the other side for the CB.

Well, I have a topper so the stake pockets are out of the question anyway. ;)

After a little internet searching I came across this which looks like it will work:

Now I just have to find a good NMO antenna. What's the consensus there? base-loaded or center-loaded?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
One thing to watch about those mounts between the fender and hood is clearance and movement. One can ruin the paint on the edge of the hood if you're not careful.

It's also possible to pinch RG58 diameter coax so you'll see sometimes the bases will have a few inches to maybe a foot of the very small RG174 to help with fit. For example this is a Comet CK-3M intended to solve issues such as this. FWIW this is also used to get door lip mounts inside since the mini coax can usually slip under weatherstripping.
Unknown.jpeg

Another possibility is to mount the antenna on your topper by gluing a piece of steel to it if you want a mag mount or if an NMO in the roof of the truck is not a practical option.

I'm an advocate of punching a hole in the roof with NMOs but roof racks and boats up there do complicate things without a doubt. Mounting the antenna off center isn't a terrible performance hit, particularly since a roof mounted NMO in general is a step up in overall performance.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Forgot to mention, if someone or you make what's called a ditch light bracket for the F150 that can be a good place to mount an antenna. These brackets usually sit at the base of the windshield in or on above the cowl so they don't move with the hood and stay fixed.

Unknown.jpg

Unknown.jpg

Which is what I did before I got around to roof NMOs on my Tacoma. Instead of lights just put antenna bases in them.

IMG_0895_mid.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Forgot to mention, if someone or you make what's called a ditch light bracket for the F150 that can be a good place to mount an antenna. These brackets usually sit at the base of the windshield in or on above the cowl so they don't move with the hood and stay fixed.

View attachment 619826

Oh, yeah, I like that even better than the fender lip mount (which would get in the way every time I checked the oil since the dip stick is on the driver's side of the engine.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne