Antenex Phantom and other

dzzz

I'm thinking of doing as many roof NMO mounts as possible, and using small Antenex antennas first. I've purchased the two I can't do NMO, a GPS receiver and a Sirius antenna.

Remaining I have
VHF
UHF
wifi 2.4ghz
cell (wilson booster)

My roof is fiberglass, and Laird is unclear about the need for a small ground plane. Is this a good plan? How should I distribute the six devices? Any suggestions on which of the vast number of antenex antennas I should use? I will place the HF antenna on my camper.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
These are very common around here on cop cars. They use them on the regular cruisers and so I suspect it's primarily to keep them from getting damaged more than stealth.

One thing to keep in mind is that they are poor performing antennas on VHF. They are about the same as a 1/4 wave whip on 70cm and basically reasonable on 800MHz and higher. They are designed primarily for urban areas where wide coverage isn't necessary because of a proliferation of repeaters and so expect pretty lousy propagation. But as a daily commuter antenna if you ragchew on the repeaters, they do look interesting to me so that you don't have to worry about removing it going into the garage.

I would distribute them with the same care as I would monopole whip antennas. Placing them with some ground plane around them (particularly for VHF) and keep them from being too close to reach other. First, you don't want them any closer than you must to prevent potential interference but more so that if you do put on a real whip (like you will to get any range) you don't have whips banging against each other.

I would put some sort of ground under the VHF and probably the UHF. The cell and WiFi are probably less important. On a fiberglass roof use wire mesh, copper foil, etc on the under side and that should be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier