Antarctica Rigs

Xenobian

Ok, I'm not entirely sure where to post this, but a few pictures I took of a few of the many big rigs sitting around (and being used) at McMurdo Station (U.S.) in the McMurdo Sound (Ross Sea), Antarctica.

MCMURDO TRUCKS 1.jpg

MCMURDO TRUCKS 2.jpg

Driving on the trail between McMurdo Station (U.S.) and Scott Base (New Zealand) - about 3 miles.
MCMURDO TRUCKS 3.jpg

MCMURDO TRUCKS 4.jpg

Most of the trails around 'town'...
MCMURDO TRACKS.jpg

A few more trucks parked up (helis too)

MCMURDO OVERVIEW.jpg

1000arms

Alas these are the only good ones I thought to take of trucks while I was there. Yes, I've seen it, it's a great insight into working in Antarctica.
Any other photos of Antarctica that you would like to share? (It is your thread. :) )

I've watched the film a few times, and enjoyed it each time.

Xenobian

Any other photos of Antarctica that you would like to share? (It is your thread. :) )

I've watched the film a few times, and enjoyed it each time.
I'll prepare a few more and post them in here later on then ;) The dream is a big real overland trip there, some day...!

Btw on YouTube you can find several documentaries made about other stations, and other national antarctic programmes (German, South African, Russian etc)... all good films. McMurdo stands out as it really does feel like a small frontier town in northern Alaska (not that I've made it up there), unlike all the other polar stations.

1000arms

I'll prepare a few more and post them in here later on then ;) The dream is a big real overland trip there, some day...!

Btw on YouTube you can find several documentaries made about other stations, and other national antarctic programmes (German, South African, Russian etc)... all good films. McMurdo stands out as it really does feel like a small frontier town in northern Alaska (not that I've made it up there), unlike all the other polar stations.
Thank you for the information and for posting additional photographs.

The dream is overland in Antarctica? Please elaborate!

Xenobian

Thank you for the information and for posting additional photographs.

The dream is overland in Antarctica? Please elaborate!
I've been to Antarctica several times, ship and/or air based expeditions, never anything overland. In the Arctica, I have crossed most of the Russian Arctic, Svalbard, Franz Josef Land, Northern Greenland. What I would like ultimately is a vehicular partial-circumnavigation of the frozen continent. Kindly forgive the crude map.

ANTARCTICA MAP 1.jpg

billiebob

Mount Vinson, one of the Seven Summits.

Maybe 2005?? there was a team from Iceland who attempted cross country.... and cross ocean from Inuvik to James Bay. It was a record beaking year for warm temperatures and they quit the trip coming south after Kugluktuk to join the ice road serving Canadas Diamond Mines and back to Yellowknife. I think they felt they failed but in honesty survival in the Arctic when it warms up is harder than traversing it at 40 below.

Fort Providence thru Tsiigehtchic is the only "ice road" I want to travel. I'm too old to get more remote.

Great pictures of Antarctica. Look forward to updates.

arctic-trails-northern-canada-1.jpg

arctic-trails-northern-canada-8.jpg

Last edited:

billiebob

Proud to be a Canadian and these guys are part of the pride.

On 26 April 2001, Kenn Borek Air used a DHC-6 Twin Otter aircraft to rescue Dr. Ronald Shemenski from the Amundsen–Scott South Pole Station.[10][11][12][13] This was the first ever rescue from the South Pole during polar winter.[14] To achieve the range necessary for this flight, the Twin Otter was equipped with a special ferry tank.

They have done several Antarctic rescues since then. The first one in 2001 saw them fly virtually non stop from Norman Wells, NT, Canada to Antarctica. They were the only airline to say, lets git 'er done eh.

Not to mention, the Twin Otter is built in Canada.

1024px-C-FDHB_DHC6-300_Kenn_Borek_Air_Ltd_01.JPG

Last edited:

Xenobian

Mount Vinson, one of the Seven Summits.

Maybe 2005?? there was a team from Iceland who attempted cross country.... and cross ocean from Inuvik to James Bay. It was a record beaking year for warm temperatures and they quit the trip coming south after Kugluktuk to join the ice road serving Canadas Diamond Mines and back to Yellowknife. I think they felt they failed but in honesty survival in the Arctic when it warms up is harder than traversing it at 40 below.

Fort Providence thru Tsiigehtchic is the only "ice road" I want to travel. I'm too old to get more remote.

Great pictures of Antarctica. Look forward to updates.

View attachment 703184

View attachment 703185
That looks like an amazing expedition concept, I'll have to take a look and see what I can find to read about what they tried... A pity it was a bit less icy than needed... The Canadian ice roads definitely have big appeal.

Xenobian

Proud to be a Canadian and these guys are part of the pride.

On 26 April 2001, Kenn Borek Air used a DHC-6 Twin Otter aircraft to rescue Dr. Ronald Shemenski from the Amundsen–Scott South Pole Station.[10][11][12][13] This was the first ever rescue from the South Pole during polar winter.[14] To achieve the range necessary for this flight, the Twin Otter was equipped with a special ferry tank.

They have done several Antarctic rescues since then. The first one in 2001 saw them fly virtually non stop from Norman Wells, NT, Canada to Antarctica. They were the only airline to say, lets git 'er done eh.

Not to mention, the Twin Otter is built in Canada.

View attachment 703186
Kenn Borek Air are brilliant, a first class operation and then some more... I heard about those Antarctic rescues. When you see the Antarctic interior even in summer, it becomes completely mind blowing thinking about them achieving these things in the wintertime.... I've flown with them a bit in the Canadian arctic - great guys, and rightly making Canada proud.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior