Another "which wheel is this" question

trasko

Adventurer
This is on a Ford F250 -- pretty standard size a I understand it.

When I got my truck a couple of years ago it came w/ these over-sized tires and the stock spare underneath. I've been happy with them but I don't have a 5th wheel for a spare (nor a good place to store it). I'm figuring I'll just get another wheel (I have another tire of the right size), but I have also considered getting a smaller (but tall) set of wheels as well. So...

1) What wheel is this? Does anyone recognize it?

2) Where do ya'll get your wheels from? I know good places to buy lots of stuff but wheels is not one of them.

3) Any opinions on staying with these or going with smaller tires (skinnier mainly).

Notes:

* tire size is 35/12.5 R16.5
* tires rub up front on the bumper. doesn't cause a problem but... clearly I'm as big as I can go
* truck is diesel w/ 4.10s

Attachments

• 739081057_AJzZm-O.jpg
    739081057_AJzZm-O.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 31

bob91yj

Resident **************
I'd guess the same thing, I have them on my '88 'burb, no idea if they are still made in 16.5" size.

trasko

Adventurer
I'll grab the tape measure if I can figure it out with that. Is the 16.5" measurement from the visible diameter on the wheel when it's mounted? I never did see any identifying marks on the thing.

I only say 16.5" cause that's what the tires are.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
If the tires say 16.5 then the rim is too. The 16.5 rim and tires seem to be going the way of the dinosaur. Hit up some of your local tire stores and see if they have any laying around, junkyards are another good place, and so is craigslist. Good luck in your hunt. You can go with a skinnier tire and different size rim for a spare, just make sure its the same height, especially if you have a locker or limited slip. I know a few guys who do that to save room in the back of their truck.

trasko

Adventurer
Hmm, ok.

I might start looking for someone who wants to trade 4 16.5" wheels w/ 5 35" BFGoodrich ATs for 5 skinnier wheel/tire combos on a more common size.

What's the common tall truck tire size where tires are so dang expensive? 255/85 16 seem skinny and not too common. Skinny is fine but I'd prefer common.

lstzephyr

wanderer
I have those same rims in 16 inch with 33" tires on them. They are 235/85/16 which seems pretty common. 285/75/16(33) and 255/75/16(31?) are pretty common too. I really want to go to a 315/75/16 eventually which is a 35/12.5 which is basically what you have.

I saw one 16.5 on ebay not long ago, so maybe check something like that. There are a ton of junkyards around here if you really can't find anything I can ask around.

P1030607.jpg

Last edited:

trasko

Adventurer
Thanks for the help ya'll. I think it makes the most sense to just find a 5th wheel and call it good. I've been happy with them so no point in messing with it.

I do need to do something about the front wheels rubbing... should be simple though. I've been planning to make a bumper one of these days but that could be awhile yet.

lstzephyr

wanderer
i checked ebay the other day. There were plenty of 16.5s for like 50 bucks or so each. That would probably be an ok place to look. Otherwise I'm sure you could find something on craigslist.

I would trade wheels/tires with you if you were closer. Although I need to go back and visit a girl in Los Angeles again...

trasko

Adventurer
UPDATE: I finally found a American Racing Outlaw II in the right size!

Or so I thought... Size is right; bolt-spacing is right. It all looked good on paper. I even already spent $30 getting my extra tire mounted. Grrr.

The problem is the lug nuts I have don't fit this wheel -- at all. What the hell? I didn't know this could even be an issue. Shows what I know.

The pictures below will probably illustrate what is happening better. First, the old wheel (w/ one lug nut off) has a much larger hole in the wheel for the lug to pass through. The lug nut (2nd picture) has a shoulder that the wheel rides on. The shoulder is 1" deep and the wheel itself is also 1" deep at this point. That is a lot of contact area. Seems really stout.

The new wheel (pic 3 and 4), which should be clear by how shiny it is, has a different hole size for the lugs. The holes are about 0.600" while the old-wheel holes are about 0.740". I am assuming the new wheel is designed to ride directly on the stud and the nut just clamps the wheel down on that bevel built into the hole. Is that right? The wheel thickness hear is about a half inch -- much thinner than my old wheels.

What gives? Is my new wheel ACTUALLY a genuine Outlaw II? I stopped by Kragen (bleh) to see if they had any lug nuts that fit the new wheel and the only set of 9/16-18 ones they had did not fit (they were too big). Am I missing something?

# old wheels (I have 4 like this)
i-SQJNvDx-X2.jpg

# old / current lug nut; I really am missing a lug nut. I don't know where to find one like this
i-HdXDW3f-X2.jpg

# new wheel
i-Zs5D5t9-X2.jpg

# closer view of new wheel lug hole
i-xMtsVZC-X2.jpg

bftank

Explorer
the lugnuts you have are for a mag style wheel. something not very common any more.

i would look for a used wheel off of a f350 350 or chevy 3/4 1 ton. now you know to check the centers.

S

Squatchout

The lugs you have are shouldered sleeve type lugs. American racing used to use them on just about everything. The new wheel uses a 60 degree angle lug nut. Common stuff for any steel wheel. They are not the same wheel. Ford offered a wheel stock that looked just like those. Not sure what lug they used though.

As for 16.5' rims. 16.5 is a completely different style of tire from the 14, 15,16,17". They are a carry over from the old split rims. They don't have a so called safety beed on the tire. Instead there is a large 45 degree flap inside the tire that seals against the rim. Nothing at all wrong with the design unless you air down below 20 PSI. In that case they can pop the bead off. These rims are designed for heavy weight carrying vehicles. They don't come on anything new anymore but there is still a zillion trucks out there with these wheels. Tires are readily available though you mau have to look a little.

A wheel for a Chevy may not fit. Fords and Dodges used the same 8 lug wheel with a large cinter hole. The Chevy's used the same bolt pattern with a smaller inside hub hole.

bfdiesel

Explorer
If you get the right nuts. And chevy wheels will probably not fit and some dodges. The center holes on the Chevy rims is the smallest with dodge being a bit bigger and ford being the biggest. About anything will bolt on a chevy but usually only a ford will bolt to a ford. Then there is the newer metric patterns so now new ford rims will not bolt on older fords.

Outback

Explorer
If I were you I would loose the 16.5 rims which are horrible off road if you let the air out. The design of the 16.5 was to allow easy mounting of very STIFF walled tires. Something we dont see much nowadays. Since the bead design was to allow tires to mount easily it also works the other way. You can loose a tire or blow a bead if you air down for sand or such. My Military truck has the dual bead lock H1 rims and this is not a problem on the H1 rim. But on the non bead lock rims it is. Also finding 16.5 tires is getting harder and harder. Most places have to order them in. If your stuck somewhere this could delay you for a week waiting for tires. Good luck. As far as your lug nuts you should beable to have your local Napa store order you the correct ones. It might take a few days to get them. Also if you know exactly what you need take a look at Summit Racing. I found some HARD TO get lug nuts or some spacers I have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles