Another which tires and wheels. Anyone switch to 22.5 semi tires?

Fatboyz

Observer
The truck deck builder I'm using to do some work on my 550 U haul build suggested going to aluminum 22.5 wheels and a low profile tire. This would be using an adapter bought online. I did some googling and there are several tires in the 255 70 22.5 with a total height of 35.5 ish inches My stock 225 70 19.5's are 31. . weight rating is 5510 as a single. I'm thinking I could use them as singles and have enough capacity. Anyone try this yet? I can get 4 used aluminum rims for about 450.00 for the 4. Java you look into this?

java

Expedition Leader
Yep I have.... Price the adapters.... And you still get crap ass ride out of super stiff tires.

The tires are also not a real common size, but arguably no harder to find than a MPT....

Check offsets carefully, IIRC I could get close using mini float rims (9")but the track width was still off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Fatboyz

Observer
Also looked at a 285 70 19.5" on the stock rim as a single rear? load rating is 6395 lbs. total height 35.3". thoughts?

java

Expedition Leader
Also looked at a 285 70 19.5" on the stock rim as a single rear? load rating is 6395 lbs. total height 35.3". thoughts?
If you can find a shop to mount them, a 285 is very wide for a 6" wheel. A non safety bead wheel is much more dependant on the tire to be sized correctly to the wheel. The angle of the lip of thr wheel needs to match the angle on thr tire (its like 17 degrees or something) well.

Then there is track width. Running just an outer in the rear puts the front wheel inside the rear nearly fully. There might be only a slight overlap. The fronts run in the center of the duals in an OE setup.

I'm struggling with track width too. Looking at the MRAP wheels which are a 20x10 with 4" offset. But the adapter makes it 5" and flopped in the back makes it very wide. It is nearly 10" wider in the rear with that setup. Which runs into a similar issue as a single outer OE, just with a little more overlap.

Fatboyz

Observer
Boy there sure isn't many options. Any idea if a 265 19.5 will fit on the rear as duels or will they rub together?

java

Expedition Leader
Boy there sure isn't many options. Any idea if a 265 19.5 will fit on the rear as duels or will they rub together?
Howard is running 265's (toyo m608's iirc) and has about an inch or so. He posted some pics in his build.

Darwin

Explorer
I fail to see the point of going to a low profile single 19.5 or 22.5 in anything, no benefit to it. You might as well keep the duals, at least you would get the safety aspect of having 4 wheels on the back in case of a blow out.

Fatboyz

Observer
I fail to see the point of going to a low profile single 19.5 or 22.5 in anything, no benefit to it. You might as well keep the duals, at least you would get the safety aspect of having 4 wheels on the back in case of a blow out.
Not a 19.5 but the thought on a low profile 22.5 was that the overall height would be about 36", this would give some lift over the stock tires which are about 32". A 245 70 19.5 would be about 33". If you could go to a 285 in a 22.5 you might be close to super singles? It's looking like the only way to deal with the super single idea is to buy super single specific rims and tires if you want to go that way. I'm thinking I will be just running a 245 70 19.5 on the stock wheels I have.

Darwin

Explorer
I would stick with the stock duals, for the price and no increase in overall ride quality, and no benefit offroad besides 1.5 inches of ground clearance it wouldn't make sense in my mind to switch

Fatboyz

Observer
Like Java I think stock might be what I'll end up with. F550's are all over the oilfield here and they are running a tire from wind power in a 245 70 19.5" Mostly gravel, mud roads and snow and seem to like them. I won't be changing out the tires until the build is done next summer so we'll see if anything else pops up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles