Another Van Build... E350 V10 4x4 & Cargo Trailer

another_mike

Adventurer
I always liked the idea of a van, but really wanted something offroad capable for my summer trips West. After finding this site and Ujoint, I immediately began looking for a van. I was once a tech at a dealer, so I wasnt afraid to get something that needed a little work. My search criteria had to be no rust, regular length body with either the V10 or 6.0 diesel. After a few months I found my van, a former fleet van with a large cable company in the Tampa Florida area. 2006 E350, V10, Power locks and windows, 140k miles. It had a nice howl from the rear end, got it for $9000. Whoever had this van treated it well. There werent even many scratches inside or on the door sills.

mvBljxJm.jpg

I wont go too much into the basic 4x4 conversion, as Im sure there are a lot of posts about this already, but ill go into what specifically I did that may differ from others. I ordered the coil kit from Ujoint and immediately placed the rear bulkhead and cargo shelving on craigslist. I got $250 for the shelves and $125 for the bulkhead. The next day I used that money to buy the transfer case. The ladder rack was too rusted and was simply trashed.

Then began shopping for the differentials. I picked up a 2005 Dana 60 for $600, and a 2005 Sterling 10.5 and front donor driveshaft for $1000.

The front D60 was completely disassembled and built with all new seals, timkin carrier bearings and hubs, Dana 4.10 gears, Eaton Detroit Locker, Spicer ujoints, new ball-joints, and Warn manual locking hubs. I replaced the rotors with new, used Ford reman'd calipers, and new Motorcraft brake pads.

I had someone set up the rear carrier and gears for me as I was running short on time (was hoping to be in Colorado on vacation by the beginning of September). The rear has an OX Locker with electric actuation with Yukon 4.10 gears and I replaced all the wheel bearings and seals myself (Quad4x4 sells a great tool kit to do this if you dont have the correct bearing race and seal drivers). The rear calipers were in good condition so were reused, and installed Motorcraft pads. Still working on figuring out how to make the parking brake cables work.

Using my friends 30x40 garage, and in the Florida heat (often over 100 degrees), I did the conversion myself throughout August. Yes, those are Harbor Freight 12 ton jack stands. Im still alive....

DFz2cQEl.jpg

Luckily, I have sources at the local Ford dealer that gives me parts at cost. I had to pick up a lot of miscellaneous bolts that didnt come with the kit and stuff that didnt come with the used parts I bought, like all the radius arm bolts, track bar to track bar mount bolt (the one that supposed to be torqued to 400ftlbs), transfer case to extension housing bolts, output shaft retaining nut... I cut the rear spring ubolts down about an inch as theyre so long I couldnt get a socket on them.

I replaced both internal and external filters in the 5R110 transmission and the refill took 10.5 quarts. The wheels are American Racing 17x9 wrapped with Toyo Open Country M/T 35x12.5's.

Before and After
ZBfdNhAl.jpg

Since im currently in Colorado on Vacation... more to come....

Jsweezy

Explorer
Awesome looking van as I am sure ive told you somewhere before! Congrats on successfully completing a 4wd conversion!

another_mike

Adventurer
Thanks guys.

As for the interior, it was getting close to leave time. I was one week out to leave, and Hurricane Irma was coming toward me. I didnt want to leave my home for a vacation and then have to return to begin an insurance claim if I had damage, so I had to wait for Irma to pass.

The interior was quickly thrown together. I had ordered a full size foam mattress from Amazon. Its 6" thick, 1.5" of memory foam and 4.5" of regular foam. I made a basic bed platform with 2x4's and a sheet of 3/4" plywood, securing it to the walls on all 4 corners with tie downs. An Engel 65 qt cooler was placed behind the drivers seat. A small area rug from Walmart, all my supplies went into plastic bins under and next to the platform. My Coleman 424 stove, a few pots, camera equipment, hiking stuff, food, tools. The passenger seat swivel was ordered from member 1der a few months back. An old bed sheet was cut up to the size of the windows for shades and held in place by little magnet things from home depot.

v6QAj3Kl.jpg

In hindsight, im happy I didnt spend too much time setting up the interior of the van. Now that ive spent a week camping in it, I realize what I like and need to change.

After Irma passed and I had no damage.. I began my drive out to Colorado.

another_mike

Adventurer
I suppose I should finish out the posts from Colorado...

Took about 3 days to drive out to Colorado. Averaged 10.8 mpg. I hit as high as 12 something when cruising speeds were around 55. I did find the ride of the van very rough on the road. I felt every pothole and crack in the road. Later on while offroading I was hoping it would get better, but even aired down to 30psi (maybe that wasnt low enough?), it was just very very rough. I dont know if its the spring rates or the shock valving, but I need to figure something out.

Part of this trip was take some of the passes I did a few years ago on my KTM. First stop was some dispersed camping near Tincup pass.

P2PLx6yl.jpg

7ikeMrml.jpg

Notice the turning Aspens. This was mid September. Around 3am woke and couldnt get warm. It was somewhere in the 20s. I had to run the van for a little to warm up. :campfire:

The next day headed up over Hancock Pass.

HueO2IPl.jpg

OeEXBmal.jpg

3X7h4Qol.jpg

Ended up spending the night in the Gunnison KOA. Slightly lower altitude so the night temperatures were only in the 30s and I really wanted a warm shower.

The next day I headed toward Lake City to hit Engineer Pass.

kUgjYMvl.jpg

Didnt get many pictures that day, as a lot of my drive was spent heading into Ouray by Engineer Pass road? Had some good 2 wheel pucker factor going on that day. I did a little more camping, did a little hiking (no 14ers this year, I really wasnt prepared for the snow at Altitude).

Overall, it was a pretty good shakedown run of the van. Everything worked flawlessly. Only my steering damper frame mount came loose on the drive out. Not really happy with my Aluminess tire carrier, the thing rattles like crazy. Was very happy to have the sidewall protection of the Toyo Open Country M/T's. Not doing a full build out of the interior before the trip helped me really figure out what I want to do with the interior. Looking forward to future trips.

:victory:

Last edited:

ohsix

Great posts and great looking van!

What shocks did you use?

You said the van rode very rough. How did it handle otherwise?

I have a 2012 E350 with the same lift and drivetrain (minus the lockers). I haven't gotten to drive mine yet as it's in Oregon getting several other mods.

another_mike

Adventurer
Great posts and great looking van!

What shocks did you use?

You said the van rode very rough. How did it handle otherwise?

I have a 2012 E350 with the same lift and drivetrain (minus the lockers). I haven't gotten to drive mine yet as it's in Oregon getting several other mods.

I used ujoint's Fox shocks (without the reservoirs). Otherwise it handled great. Maybe because there still isnt a lot of weight in the van that it rides rough? Ill be taking a trip next weekend with my KTM 690 on a hitch rack, plus all the camping stuff inside, so will see if its any different then... I dont know enough to tell if its the spring rates or if its the shocks which are over or under dampened.

devo 1

Adventurer
You the man! I've only done it on dirt bikes ( once two up ) The switchbacks with the ledges afterwards is the worse part I think.

motowest

Nice van... good to see you are getting to explore with it. It will be interesting to see what changes you make.

another_mike

Adventurer
hows that thing do on switch backs on the passes? its long !

It does require picking a good line. Since many required backing, I was taking lines that I knew would allow that.

And that's the regular body van, there is an extended body which approximately 20 inches longer...

Yea, but the wheelbases are the same, so I dont think the switchbacks really wouldve been any different with the extended. Everytime I was running out of room, it was because my tires reached the end of the road, not because of something like a rock or tree. Now departure angle? that probably wouldve been a different story. While I hadnt had a single case of bottoming out the hitch, Im pressure sure an EB wouldve.

Back in January I mentioned taking a trip with my versahaul motorcycle hitch rack (like 70lbs?) and KTM 690 (330lbs) on the rear. The ride quality was definitely better with more weight back there. So just another reason to build out the interior more.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles