Another Ursa Minor J30

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
That's Awesome! Love the color match. I would like to hear your thoughts on how you are going to use it/set it up. Is it just you/wife/kids. Weekend warrior or multi day trips. Did you purchase the J30 because of the roof rack ability or for other reasons? It is always fun to see how others are going about it. I'm really on this new kick that less is more and for some reason this intrigues me. On one of my latest outings I just sleeped in the back of the JK and it was a fantastic experience, but with two boys I'd need more room. Hence my laundry list of questions.

Thanks

Idahoan

Adventurer
Lol... Well that's a mouthful Gear. I went this way because Brian's looked so cool and didn't want to hassle with a trailer. Wanted something ready whenever i decide to go. Didn't do a roof rack because i wanted to park in my garage, that meant no more than a 2.5" lift and 34" tires with the base J30. I will be overnight and weekending in the middle of nowhere with my wife. Some hunting and fishing trips.

First out is tomorrow night. More to come.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
So I showed this thread to my wife and then a few other pics of the J30 set up and she said, "That's cool". I thought about that reply for a while, and told her she needs to pay more attention because I, like everyone of us guys, hears, "That's cool" as "Yes, I would like you to go buy a new jeep and get the J30".

She laughed and said... ahhhhh...No

Good luck with your new rig.

John

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
That's Awesome! Love the color match. I would like to hear your thoughts on how you are going to use it/set it up. Is it just you/wife/kids. Weekend warrior or multi day trips. Did you purchase the J30 because of the roof rack ability or for other reasons? It is always fun to see how others are going about it. I'm really on this new kick that less is more and for some reason this intrigues me. On one of my latest outings I just sleeped in the back of the JK and it was a fantastic experience, but with two boys I'd need more room. Hence my laundry list of questions.

Thanks

I downsized to mine from a crew cab f150 and light weight cabover camper. For years I wanted a good pop up truck camper. I bought the small hard side and it was just way too much! Too big, too much that I didn't use. I don't really care to sit inside a camper much, but the space was nice when the weather is bad.

So rather than a four wheel camper I went even more basic with the j30. For me, I camp most often by myself. Tons of room for one person and gear. Standing room for changing. Roof rack for future toys. With my wife and I it's a little more crowded. But we spent 10 days together in Utah exploring and it worked fine. In fact we brought more than we used. The only annoying thing is the middle of the night pee that my wife usually makes. Lol. I haven't kept track but I'm sure I've spent well over 40 nights in mine so far. From 110 degrees to 30. Rain, wind, sun, sand etc. In the snow soon if I get time!

I'm figuring we could work with this with a baby, then eventually the kid could sleep "downstairs" or something. I'm not sure how you would have much more than that. If you have toys, there isn't much space left over (inside).

My jeep would squeak in the garage except the damn roof rack. It is about 1" too tall currently. I hate leaving the jeep out when I'm away, but oh well. I think I could air down and slip in my garage if I wanted. FYI mine is on a 3.5" lift and 35s.

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Lol... Well that's a mouthful Gear. I went this way because Brian's looked so cool and didn't want to hassle with a trailer. Wanted something ready whenever i decide to go. Didn't do a roof rack because i wanted to park in my garage, that meant no more than a 2.5" lift and 34" tires with the base J30. I will be overnight and weekending in the middle of nowhere with my wife. Some hunting and fishing trips.

First out is tomorrow night. More to come.

Thanks, I think I was on a sugar high from Halloween candy at the time of writing that speech. Looking forward to seeing how you put it to good use. Please take lots of pictures.

So I gather you decided on the J30 for the hard top/rain protection versus the immediate need to carry things up top?

Have fun out there!

Idahoan

Adventurer
Yes I wanted the hard roof on the tent... snow rain northwest. I considered a RTT but didn't want the additional height. My last Rubicon with 35" and a 4.5" lift wouldn't go in my garage. Tired of sweeping snow off all winter.

BTW I'm building a vertical bracket for my tire carrier for one of these road showers. www.roadshower.com

How warm is the sleeping area in the heat Brian? You mentioned you've been out in 110.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Warm! The mesh on the top doesn't let a lot of air move unless there is a decent breeze.
But we were around Moab, surrounded by heat soaked rocks for a while that never cooled down at night. Normally I'm camping somewhere that cools down at night. We would have been just as miserable (if not more) sleeping on the ground.

Of course if there aren't a lot of bugs you can unzip the sides and open everything up. Next summer I'll look for a small fan on warm, still nights (rare around here).

Mattchuck2

What do you suppose the lower temp limit is with this thing? Could you go much colder? Nervous about the canvas sides. Just asking because I could see some sweet ski area parking lot camping potential here.

Idahoan

Adventurer
It would probably depend on the sleeping gear. I think I'd be comfortable in the teens. Much colder and I'm staying home by the fireplace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94