Another Trailer Build

PCO6

Adventurer
Nice job wvtradbow ... and I appreciate the comments re my trailer build.

Regarding a swing out spare tire carrier, I'd be concerned about hanging that much weight off the back end of your trailer. I think your axle is far enough back that it won't be a problem but it's hard to tell from your pics. A lot depends on what you plan to add to the tongue area (weight wise) and how you plan to load the trailer. I opted for wheels and tires that match my tow vehicles (Jeep MOAB wheels with 245/75R/16's) and basically eliminated the problem.

As for a plain looking tailgate, I have a bike rack as one option (post #2 - http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/148123-PCO6-s-Trailer-Build ). I also plan to add some "stickers". (lol)

I like your idea of the "bleacher" floors.

wvtradbow

Observer
I really like the looks of trailers with the spare on the back BUT just not sure ,looks out weighs feasibility,my bolt pattern also matched to my Tacoma except the TRD has 16" wheels and the trailer 17"..I saw the bike rack PCO6 an it looks cool,I just don't do that much biking anymore,I"ll probably also go with some decals..I have a friend that makes custom decals and thought about something like a Compass face…I have no idea about the weight yet,but am really trying to go as light as possible,so I can move it around by hand but I'll have to get it weighed before I get it titled…PCO6 I really tried to copy as much as your trailer build as I could,I think it's one of the better builds that would do everything I want to do with a trailer...

PCO6

Adventurer
Thanks wvtradbow. I appreciate the compliment. :) Mine is on hold for the moment. It's a driveway job and right now my driveway is snowed in! I have lots of inside projects to keep me busy. Among other things I'm building lots of small parts for it that I can run outside to install on the occasional warm days that we get. I'll be back at it full tilt in the spring. I also have a Jeep XJ project on the go ... so lots to do!

wvtradbow

Observer
Got a good bit of work done on the roof racks and awning support this weekend: The rack was pretty straight forward just 3 52" one inch square welded on rails.

wvtradbow

Observer
The awning was a little more difficult,I needed it to come off the back but those awnings are so heavy,plus I needed it to be at a height of about 5'10 but lower for traveling purposes.I got a couple good deals recently on an ARB 1250 which is about 49" wide and I found a ARB 2000 which is about 6'6",I sure don't need two but the 1250 seemed small but the 2000 is a little too wide… I used the 1" square that I intended to have bent but it was too thick to do by hand so I cut and welded 90s.I also needed the whole thing to be removable.. This is what I came up with.

wvtradbow

Observer
I drilled a couple holes in the posts and made a center bracket an mounted the 1250 . . The longest part of this was trying to get the sleeves I made for the 1"square to slide in nice an easy

Last edited:

wvtradbow

Observer
Now I had to break it down for traveling,so I just went crazy with the welder making more brackets.I came up with the top half riding backwards behind the main poles (if that makes sense).

wvtradbow

Observer
Still working on it and I can see things taking shape.. I finished the exterior lights today..I ran all the light grounds to one buss bar ground inside the tongue box,I'll eventually will have a battery and other electronics there also but I just have the bar grounded to the frame now.. I also made a license plate bracket/light ..

wvtradbow

Observer
I also got a lock&roll trailer hitch I can't wait to try …It's starting to look good. ..I still have a lot to do..I need to figure out what to do about a spare and make some jack/shovel/axe brackets..still have to do more work on the roof,latches,lift struts and seal the edges somehow,but I'm pretty happy for now..I found a MOAB tent from a member and have to make that work some how..I would love to here from other MOAB owners on how they mounted that tent on roof racks….. Still a work in progress….

wvtradbow

Observer
Got the M.O.A.B. mounted today,still a lot of work to do.I still have some of the bungee hooks an things like that along with the vestibule pole brackets. I'm pretty happy with it so far

wvtradbow

Observer
I did get a tear or two pulling an stretching the canvas. and I'm going to have to put a step or 2 to get into it..I think I'll put some reenforced metal over the fender because that's the perfect height stepping out of the tent for me and i'll need something from the fender down.

GI_Jeepin"

wander looking to get lost
Nice build so far. I really liked that you employed kids from the high school so that they can learn. It will be great for them to see the final product and know that they contributed to it.

wvtradbow

Observer
Yea we have top notch shop classes and they do a great job,as soon as I get it "street legal" I'm going to take it back..We are in West Virginia and I think there may be some kids that still find this kind of stuff interesting..I know from experience that hunting,fishing,camping seem to be things of the past and that the younger generation don't seem as interested as we were..

GI_Jeepin"

wander looking to get lost
They will once they get a spouse, mortgage, bills, spouse, job, kids and a spouse. They will want to go camping just like they should have done when they were kids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles