Another Trailer Build

wvtradbow

Observer
I always wanted a expedition trailer. I needed another project,so here goes..I found this trailer on Craigslist for $150 about 2 hrs from home and thought it might make a nice base,it is 6 1/2' long and 5' wide and made from 3" angle…In hindsight I should've probably started from scratch but I made this purchase anyways so here goes... as you can see it has a mobile home axle and wheels..I thought no problem (boy was I wrong).. I found some 6x5.5 hubs from R&P Carriages on Ebay to match my Toyota for mobile home axles however there are two different style axles for mobile homes an there are no hubs available for 1 size,and guess what-thats the size I got..So goes a search for the right size axle since I already bought the hubs..

wvtradbow

Observer
I work at a local high school and approached the welding teacher about this and he thought it would be a good project for his class so off it goes.After explaining what i was wanting and the axle problem he was more than willing to help.. We started with a 5'x5' box ( I also want to THANK PC06 because I'm trying to copy a lot of his build)..I found the right size axle for $60 and took it to school to have it cut down and found some new leaf springs I found some used 245x75x16 tires and I had those rims...

Last edited:

wvtradbow

Observer
Here's where I'm at now.. I mounted the tires and rims an am pretty happy with the look,but it seems the tires are a little close to the frame .. I just ordered 1/2" spacers from ebay yesterday I'm hoping I got enough lug nut left if not I'll need to go 1/4"..I'll post more this week as progress goes..My plan is to have aluminum on the floor,lid and sides..

wvtradbow

Observer
Well got a little more work done,I decided to go with 1/4" spacers It helped a little We also got the bumper on complete with hitch.. and we added expanded metal to the front

wvtradbow

Observer
I have a decision to make,the tongue appears to be short,never making one of these before,I don't know if there's a standard length it should be,it's 40" now..

wvtradbow

Observer
The Floor is about done,I used old aluminum bleacher pieces that was cut down,I'm not bolting anything yet..The alum floor buckled a little with the weld so I have to figure out how to get it straight..

wvtradbow

Observer
Finally brought it home,still a lot of work to do,I cut the holes for the recessed tail lights I started on the tail gate using the same set up that PC06 did I even found the same hinges on Ebay. Since it's not real square,level or even,I had to spot weld in place,(worked great).. The boys at school welded the alum top,(still learning that TIG thing)I have to clean that up,but that's still way better than I could TIG aluminum I also stuck the fenders on,not sure I like this set up yet,but everything needs to be taken off for the primer and bed liner on the frame..

wvtradbow

Observer
Got the tailgate ready skin with 18gauge alum… But found out that tailgate is pretty heavy an I'm not sure my set up will work without sagging a little when opened..I might have to a flop down tailgate...

Last edited:

wvtradbow

Observer
Didn't want to do it,but I had to change my tail gate,I've used 1 1/2" x 1/16" thick steel for the gate but it was too heavy for a swing open,it was working in the "mock up" but I thought leaving it open for a few days at a time would create too much stress on the hinges.

wvtradbow

Observer
I've started with the running boards,but as always, after I do something i wish I would've done it a little different (that's a terrible habit of mine)…This is the way it's staying.

wvtradbow

Observer
It's kinda plain looking,I'd like some feedback on a swing open tire carrier.I got 17" tires and i know with a spare tire carrier on the back it makes the back heavy but mounted on the front makes the tongue heavier,kinda thought maybe on a little side running board not sure yet.But that does nothing for the plain look on the back..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles