Another Tacoma Build (Brian's 2015 DCLB)

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I don't normally make build threads, but everybody's doing it!

My last rig was a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, with an Ursa Minor popup camper and a bunch of other things. It was a fun and very capable rig, but with a new daughter on our hands we needed some more space and a bigger camper for what we want to do. Plus I just got tired of all of the maintenance and upkeep of a JK on 35s.

The new truck is a 2015 Tacoma double cab long bed, SR5 with tow and the other "standard" options, and entune premium (navigation). White was my first color choice but finding an sr5 with nav was basically impossible.

First day at home (new house too!) three weeks ago.

First mod!

I took a few days to come home from work. I had the windows tinted, installed some husky x-act fit floor mats, and an ultra gauge (no pics) to monitor transmission temps.

Lots of stuff to do! Unfortunately it will probably be another month at least until I start getting suspension stuff together. So far I'm really enjoying the truck. The size is perfect! We didn't want a full sized truck again, the truck has everything we need without a bunch of extra stuff.

bkg

Explorer
Wait... New truck... S/c'd... And the JK axle is for..... ??????? Will we see an SAS?

el_topu

Adventurer
SAS on a 15 Tacoma with TRD S/C... That's going to be a bad a%% build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
The axle is just a tease. ;)

It is the front axle out of my old rubicon, my buddy has been storing it in his shop for me. I just finally picked it up so I can clean and sell it, to help fund the suspension on the tacoma. It would be a fun rig with SAS but it would sort of defeat the drivability benefits of the tacoma. I was thinking of keeping the axle for a future cheap trail rig but I don't have the time and money to do it.

Anyone need a sleeved/gusseted jk44 axle with 4.10s, factory locker, synergy ball joints, drag link flip and track bar relocation bracket?

juicebox

Adventurer
The axle is just a tease. ;)

disappointed-gif_1.gif

Last edited:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Not much of an update, but the JK axle is sold and I got some money back from escrow on the old house, so my suspension is about 2/3 funded! ;)

For now I'm headed back to work but I cannot wait to start doing some work on the truck soon.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Some things are still up in the air, but it won't be anything we haven't seen here before. Some stuff from icon, OME, wheelers, allpro etc. The overall stance and look will be much like your truck.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Bilstien 6112? I currently have an OME setup, but I've been lusting over the new 6112s.

No, if I was going to buy something in that range I would spend a few extra bucks and buy the base icons. The production 6112 doesn't have a threaded body. And the last two sets of bilsteins I had on ifs rigs were less than ideal. They had horrible rebound valving. They easily topped out and the the valving did nothing to control it. Even basic gravel roads were a rough ride as a result.
The 5100s on my JK were great while I had the stock control arms limiting flex, but when I replaced the control arms and disconnected the sway bar they topped out more easily. One of the 5100s sprung a leak while parked in the driveway for a week.

Same thing with the OME shocks. So many people complain about the exact same thing.

So likely I'll be running extended travel icons. More adjustability and better control, rebuildable. I can order rears in a custom length, stiffer valving, adjustable compression valving etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94