Another Spacekap Build

Nvbrian

Very intrested in your build. Am working through the same project. Did one up in the 6 foot version but ended up selling to start again with an 8 foot. Did you decide on a heater?

I am torn between a Dickson P9000 or a propex HS2211 and mounting it externally in a box like erstwils did.

Dickenson: looks great and doesn't require any power to run (without fan) however it takes up room inside

Propex: big pro of this is that it has a thermostat. Also can be mounted externally to save room. However, I heard that in order to preform well at high altitude you need to buy an additional kit. Also I heard they're no super quiet.

The one thing holding me back from buying the dickinson is that it doesn't have a thermostat. I am kind of worried that it will put off too much heat that I'll have to turn it on and off every hour to keep the kap at a comfortable temp.

Danm7890

Looking like a great start! I’m getting close to the end of my build. The wood tongue and groove walls added a lot of weight to mine, but it’s sitting on a 12’ F250. Will give this a follow!

Nvbrian

20191028_151513.jpg20191028_151432.jpg
Finally got around to working on the cap today. Installed the Dickenson P9000 in driver’s side back corner, added shelving in the front, and a bench on the passenger side.

Building it out is turning out to be way more difficult than anticipated. There are very few straight lines in a spacekap

DzlToy

Explorer
nvbrian said:
The first order of business was to replace the wood that I had put under the spacekap with XPS foam board. To my surprise the foam did not compress with the weight of the cap on it and will provide some insulation for the floor.

A 4x8 sheet of Foamular 150 will take nearly 70,000 pounds of weight. (48x96 = square inches of area x 15 pounds per square inch, which is what Foamular 150 is rated at.)

A little 1000 pound camper won't phase that XPS as long as the bottom is relatively flat and the weight is pretty evenly distributed.

Cool build.

Nvbrian

20191223_151025.jpg
Got a lot of work done today. Installed solar, 8 lights, foam mat, and finally rigged up the electrical.

Initially I was concerned with how difficult the electrical work would be but it was significantly easier than expected.

Avin

Mine is a bit more utilitarian. Wanted to get a quad in the back still. Went with the Dickinson heater and fold out beds along the sides. The cap stays on the truck full time and hauls everything from yard waste to camping gear. It's tough to make it comfortable but not so nice that it can't be cleaned with a pressure washer.

Attachments

• IMG_9954.jpeg
    IMG_9954.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 164

mobydick 11

I know its too late ,but did you consider the Chinese Diesel heaters . Guys that have installed them are having good luck with them. I will be starting an 8 foot SpaceKap build right after the new years . Mine does not have the cab overhang . Ordered Jack legs for easy removal ,they cost more then I payed for the cap.

Avin

No never considered them. A friend has had a Dickinson installed in his cap for about 8 years and loves it. I never considered any thing else. The unit is extremely well build and I really enjoy being able to see the flame it puts out a nice ambiance. They are very tough and ment to take a lot of movement abuse as they are built for sailboats. The companies customer service is unbeatable. I called a bunch of times for install advice and a tech called me right back. I would buy again. I have a diesel heater that I run in a wall tent. Its not as nice to deal with as propane. The propane Dickinson has a two stage chimney so it draws air from outside. The diesel Dickinson stove draws air from inside the cabin so you have to be careful of running out of oxygen

mobydick 11

No never considered them. A friend has had a Dickinson installed in his cap for about 8 years and loves it. I never considered any thing else. The unit is extremely well build and I really enjoy being able to see the flame it puts out a nice ambiance. They are very tough and ment to take a lot of movement abuse as they are built for sailboats. The companies customer service is unbeatable. I called a bunch of times for install advice and a tech called me right back. I would buy again. I have a diesel heater that I run in a wall tent. Its not as nice to deal with as propane. The propane Dickinson has a two stage chimney so it draws air from outside. The diesel Dickinson stove draws air from inside the cabin so you have to be careful of running out of oxygen
Yes I agree any thing you can use from the marine industry is usually a better quality ,especially wire and electrical stuff. So may I ask were is the propane tank going to be mounted ? It is a bit of a challenge to come up with a design for a 4x8 footprint that has sleeping, eating and a bathroom !!

Avin

That is a tall task for sure.
I keep the tank inside the cab. Have a long hose so it's easily moved. Dickinson does make a connection that can be used as a pass through for walls to connect the tank on the outside. I have considered getting a folding holder made up that I could put tank outside and hook up but haven't yet. I've only done a couple trips in the box with the heater installed and still working bugs out.

mobydick 11

Well i sort of have a safety concern with propane inside ,maybe space too. On a sail boat it would be on the back rail . Problem is though in real cold temperatures a propane bottle left outside only gives up about half its gas .seems everything is a juggling act when doing this stuff . Some guys will keep it inside ,but in a sealed compartment that is vented to the outside . like a lead battery .

Nvbrian

20191224_084835.jpg
Added two porthole style windows to the cap. Resized_Resized_20200101_083141.jpeg
Also took the cap on a two week trip to Canada. Overall the cap was perfect for two people and a dog. Unfortunately,I found out recently that I am changing jobs in May and I will be heading down south so I don't think I'll be able to use it after May.

Nvbrian

20200117_111901.jpg

Went out to Aspen over the weekend. We found out to make the camper comfortable in sub 20f we either need to let the dickenson warm up for about a half hour before we get in or supplement it with a Mr Heater. Mr Heater is great at a quick blast of heat to warm up the place, whereas the dickenson is great for overnight use due to its minimal propane and power usage.

On a side note I listed the cap in the for sale section of the forum. I ultimately decided that I wouldn't get much use out of it when I move south due to the higher temperatures. I think installing AC on a spacekap would go against the idea of having a lightweight minimalist camper. I still have plans to use it and to keep making modifications to it for the next owner.

mobydick 11

I am in the middle of my build ,but going heavy on the insulation . R10 base under the cap . R 7.5 walls and R8 roof . Then wrapping the hole inside with reflextic .as a vapor barrier . Right now just having a construction light on inside makes it too hot to work . There is a guy on another thread looking for a cap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles