Another Spacekap Build

Nvbrian

I recently picked up a spacekap plus off of CL and decided to build it out. Prior to the spacekap I had a Leer 122 topper. This worked pretty well with myself and the lady but when we picked up a newfoundland dog the topper got a little cramped. The current plan is to use the Spacekap for the next two years and when I move to a place that is in the mountains go back to the Leer 122.20190825_162901 (1).jpg

The main focus of this build is to keep it light as possible. I currently have the spacekap on a 2016 F150 2.7 Regular cab long bed. While the payload is pretty good (1800lbs) I would prefer not to load down my truck.

Here's what I am looking to add to the cap:
-A cab over bed that will sleep two people
-Maxxair fan
-Heater (Right now I am thinking of going with dickenson or propex)
-Insulation (XPS foam board)
-A minimal amount of storage (Thinking MULE bags from Adventure Wagon - although they're $$$)
-Small Solar set up
-Built in lights

Possible Additions
-Seating on each side of the cap
-Storage for skis

Nvbrian

The first order of business was to replace the wood that I had put under the spacekap with XPS foam board. To my surprise the foam did not compress with the weight of the cap on it and will provide some insulation for the floor.

Next I had to tackle the insulation on the sides. This was done by attaching two 1x2s on each side using bolts. I used a rotor zip to ensure that the nuts would not stick out past the 1x2s. Using Gorilla glue construction adhesive, I glued the XPS foam to the walls in between the 1x2s. After the glue dried, I cut a sheet of revultionary ply (5mm/14lbs) to cover the XPS board. 20190904_084711.jpg20190904_180547.jpg20190904_180554.jpg

Nvbrian

Awesome! I'm seriously digging another lightweight Spacekap build!! I will be watching this one.

Thanks! I am planning on weighing it when complete to see how close I am to the gvwr of my truck. If it's too close I may swap out for a 250/2500 series truck.

Last edited:

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Help me understand - why do more people not do this? This looks brilliant! Are the spacekaps hard to source? It looks like you're well into it but have you thought about having it spray insulated vs the sheets?

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Most of the Spacecaps I have looked used were trashed as they tend to be used hard in commercial and industrial situations.

I have only found 1 Spacecap for sale in my area that is of the same configuration as the Spacecap shown above and it was beat all to Hell. Most also have side opening doors or different rear door configurations.

Help me understand - why do more people not do this? This looks brilliant! Are the spacekaps hard to source? It looks like you're well into it but have you thought about having it spray insulated vs the sheets?

There probably is not much selection in the US since they are made and distributed in Canada.

Nvbrian

I was able to find this one used on CL, but I'm pretty sure that new ones (Diablo) are mostly in Canada. I considered spray foam and it retrospect I probably should have opted for it. At the time spray foam kits from lowes were $300+ and xps boards are $15 a peice. I'm planning on having a big heater relative for its size so I'm not too worried about the insulation's R value. I just don't want the walls to sweat on me

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I can’t imagine it adding much more than 600-700lbs. Unless you plan on doing lead lined floor?. These caps sure let the imagination run with how they can get built out.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Spacekap in Atlanta GA

Oklahoma

Minnesooota

Way the Hell up NORTH

Nvbrian

I can’t imagine it adding much more than 600-700lbs. Unless you plan on doing lead lined floor?. These caps sure let the imagination run with how they can get built out.

Yes, but the kap already weighs 700lbs. Add in a 200-300lb conversion, passanger, dog, gear and you're getting close to the gvwr.

Nvbrian

Took the truck and cap out over the weekend and was impressed on how well the truck handled. I had plenty of power to accelerate up hills and averaged 20.1* mpg.

Today I was able to install the final wood ceiling supports and fan. Next step will be to remove the spacekap lights and install the ceiling boards.

*This MPG was based off the dash readings. For the next trip I am planning on hand calculating them to get a more accurate number. Prior to the spacekap I had a leer 122 which averaged 23.2 mpg (per the dash readout)a.jpg

Avin

Very intrested in your build. Am working through the same project. Did one up in the 6 foot version but ended up selling to start again with an 8 foot. Did you decide on a heater?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles