Another Smokin Deal...Chevy OD 4x4 Lo Miles Military CUCV Ambo, @$12k!

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
(Not mine....wish it was tho, very cool 4x4, hoping you LIKE this helpful post?)

Hey! It’s Time to ******** or get off the pot. You’ve got all winter to kit this great rig out for an awesome summer of exploring the west....so since this is the exact, affordable, cool looking, ready to build out, 4x4 that you’ve been looking for....JUMP ON IT!

And, oh snap! I forgot to mention....Yes, It Is A Diesel!

F4C92A77-E651-4BD4-B06A-83DDFABA3F55.png

A11D7F15-C6B4-406E-BAAE-E0DF0CFDBDD1.png

Last edited:

Deshet

Adventurer
Is this a smoking deal in CA?
I have passed on a few of these in the past, I wasn't sure if people were truly into the square body chevy truck.
These typically don't have cab ac although they have AC in the rear.

Rockey709

I spoke to the seller at length. He’s a cool guy and lives with a bunch of Tacoma overlanders. The rig is not without flaws, but makes for a really solid starting point for your own taste. The cab AC likely doesn’t work based on what he said and the coolant expansion tank needs to be replaced, but it’s a deal worth looking hard at. If I didn’t need more space for three kids, I’d already own this.

Heavyopp

Observer
When speaking to the owner did you ask him what the top speed was?

I’ve never driven an ambulance body but have driven the pickup version, it was lucky to do 70 mph full out, downhill, with the wind at your back — and you needed hearing protection...

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
That’s a valid question to ask, but your statement that you “have driven the pickup version” and it lacked power was interesting too.

Huh, I’m not sure what you’re talking about here. I had an early 80’s Chevy 3/4 T 4x4 (reg cab, LB, manual tranny) and never felt it lacked power. I usually carried a full sized camper on it that was bigger than this ambo body above and happily drove it all over the mountain west,. It had plenty of get up and go when running up the high passes in the Rockies...and it only had the 350 in it!

Huge difference between a gas engine and GMs 6.2l Diesel. Also these things are geared in such a way that if you drive over 60 for very long you're going to toast the motor.

I had a M1010 ambulance and while it looks like it might make a great camper that would only be if you completely stripped the box and started over. As mentioned, it may have AC in the box but not in the cab. I could get the box at 60 with the door into the cab open and a fan trying to force air into the cab and the driver's compartment wouldn't get below 90.

I sold mine with a new paint job and restored to military specs to a museum for $4k 3 years ago. While it didn't have any of the goodies that's been added to this one it was still an extremely nice example. But when it all comes down to it, this is still a 40 year old vehicle that was likely used/abused while in service and would take a ton of money to make a reliable, comfortable, overlanding vehicle.

Heavyopp

Observer
That’s a valid question to ask, but your statement that you “have driven the pickup version” and it lacked power was interesting too.

As already discussed— I never said it lacked power — it lacked the ability to keep up with highway traffic

Gm 6.2 diesel an a 3 speed trans = max rpm reached

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles