Another Skamper 072S budget build

Bed Extension... As many of you know, the Skamper bed over the cab is just barely larger than a twin: 43" wide. My girlfriend and I are of average size, so I was having serious doubts that we could sleep comfortably on a twin sized mattress. I wanted a double bed at minimum. In my head I had this elaborate mechanism designed involving DIY heavy duty drawer slides. Thankfully I didn't do that; the solution I went with was much simpler:

CaiSLZfl.jpg

Basically a piece of 3/4" plywood supported on the back and side edges by 1"x1" strips of pine.

lnDwnYGl.jpg

For the support on the passenger side, I mounted the 1x1 to a plywood plate so that the plywood plate could be screwed into the top of the wall section where there is actually framing behind the wood paneling:

yVQGXvSl.jpg

The other two supports hit solid framing without any additional plates.

Since the plywood extension was only supported on 3 sides, I doubled up the plywood on the remaining edge to add a bit of structural integrity:

19rKXj2l.jpg

I plan to use a double / full size air mattress. I expect that it will wrap around the roof supports without an issue. And since I'm 6'2" and my girlfriend is 5'3", as long as she sleeps on the side with the supports, we should be comfortable. We'll find out soon.

I also got my water tank installed. I will probably catch some crap for this, but I could not justify buying a $50+ RV water tank when I had one of these inexpensive "Aqua-Tainer" 7 gallon tanks lying around with my camping stuff.

Zy2T6Utl.jpg

Although 7 gallons isn't much, I don't have room for much more, and on many previous 3-day tent camping trips with my girlfriend, 7 gallons has gotten us by just fine. No reason why it shouldn't in the Skamper, and weekend camping is what I'm planning to do the most of.

I figured out that the "spigot" fitting on the Aqua-Tainer is 3/4" NPT threads, so I bought a 3/4" NPT Male-to-female 90º bend (Lowes), and a 3/4" male NPT to 3/8" ID tubing adapter (Amazon):

owS0Hjul.jpg

For the fill, I purchased 3/4" ID tubing (will be a slow rate of fill, but with only 7 gallons I'm not worried), a bulkhead with 3/4" NPT female threads, and a 3/4" NPT male to 3/4" ID tubing adapter. I found all 3 at Lowes. I had to drill a new hole in the Aqua-Tainer, so it's not really useful for tent camping anymore, but you can't beat the price. At the end that connects to the Skamper's outside "fill" port, those were 1 1/4" NPT female threads, so I used a 1 1/4" male threads to 1" female slip fitting, a 1" male slip x 3/4" female threads adapter, and another 3/4" male threads to 3/4" ID tubing adapter. Again, all at Lowes.

I may have spent $25 or so on fittings and tubing, but even if I went with a new tank I would have needed $10-$15 worth, so I consider this method a big savings over a small RV tank.

My double / full size air mattress came in so I tried it out on the bed extension and it works quite well:

08YQN80l.jpg

Also got my table done. Nothing fancy here. It's a nice-ish piece of 3/4" plywood, sanded to 220 and sealed with 3 coats of Arm-R-Seal:

zxpO5Kil.jpg

I just need a kitchen faucet and this thing is ready to go. First camping trip scheduled next weekend.

Canufixit

Observer
My double / full size air mattress came in so I tried it out on the bed extension and it works quite well:

08YQN80l.jpg

Also got my table done. Nothing fancy here. It's a nice-ish piece of 3/4" plywood, sanded to 220 and sealed with 3 coats of Arm-R-Seal:

zxpO5Kil.jpg

I just need a kitchen faucet and this thing is ready to go. First camping trip scheduled next weekend.

Nice Table set up. I like !! Can you provide the source for the pedestal ?? Mine's missing and I want to copy what you did - but I May change the table shape/size (i.e. round ?)

gtbensley

Explorer
Nice Table set up. I like !! Can you provide the source for the pedestal ?? Mine's missing and I want to copy what you did - but I May change the table shape/size (i.e. round ?)

Shoot me a PM. I have two of those foot things you can have cheap.

Since this thread is discussing the older Skamper. Does anyone have the Electrical Schematic for this (or close style) Skamper?? I need to do some electrical work on my camper this Spring and before try to recreate this info I'd thought I'd ask. The Wiring should be fairly straight forward - but the wire colors, 12v converter hook ups etc. would be easier to work with if I did not have to strip down the panels/wiring to learn the connections.

Thanks!

https://plus.google.com/photos/112372094434073293146/albums/5766645393950966305?authkey=COzl5djC39TsowE

Try this one. I took it from another Skamper thread. I am getting ready to tackle my electric as well. Good luck!

traildude

Great build, out of all the threads i have lurked on yours is what I hope to copy the most!, any thing after 2 years you would of done different?

Great build, out of all the threads i have lurked on yours is what I hope to copy the most!, any thing after 2 years you would of done different?

Sorry I just saw this. Yes, there is one thing I would have done differently:

Not sure how far along you are, but the holes I cut to access the area in front of the wheel wells are a challenge to deal with. Getting the ratchet strap in place between the eye bolt on the skamper and the d-ring in the truck bed takes a few minutes and I have fairly long and skinny arms / hands.

They are expensive, but I think the torklift frame mounts are really the better solution for holding down the front of the camper.

Added a canoe rack with some helpful advice from @bikerbill2021 regarding what exactly is structural on these roofs. Canoe is only about 50 lbs. The rack is as light as I could stand to make it- 2 pieces of 1/8" wall x 1" aluminum box tube, and some 1/8" x 1.5" aluminum angle. First trip tomorrow. We'll see how it does.

g5oFjdxl.jpg

8ep4CAFl.jpg

Last edited:
Added a canoe rack with some helpful advice from @bikerbill2021 regarding what exactly is structural on these roofs. Canoe is only about 50 lbs. The rack is as light as I could stand to make it- 2 pieces of 1/8" wall x 1" aluminum box tube, and some 1/8" x 1.5" aluminum angle. First trip tomorrow. We'll see how it does.

Killer man, glad you got it figured out and I could be of help, it looks good, lmk how it holds up, as I may be doing something similar here soon as well.

Also now that I remember, I was gonna ask you about your sleeping platform extension. How much of a difference has it made for your sleeping comfort with that extension? Have you slept up there with two people before and after adding that extension? I was going to do that to mine as well to give a little more room for two people, but the first solo trip I went out on with it I used my twin air mattress up there, only to find it incredibly uncomfortable/wobbly. I guess when I used to use it in the actual bed of the truck with my old tent setup the wheel wells helped stabilize it, but up on the platform there was really nothing to hold it. Plus my buddy bought all new foam for his camper and gave me his old foam, with one piece being the exact size I needed for that platform, so Ive been using that. But I would like to revisit the idea and possibly do something like the FWCs do with their sleeping platforms and jigsaw puzzle like foam pads. I'd love to do a north to south sleeping style too not unlike the FWC/Halmark campers, but the HECO system makes that tricky, and that would extend way into the living quarters. Being over 6 foot is a little tight up there sleeping east to west, so I'm brainstorming it a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior