Another Road Trip; TX-NM-AZ-UT-CO, July 2019

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Driving down Ophir Pass, Co. July 2019. A FJ Cruiser forum member met me at the top of Ophir Pass. We talked for a bit and I asked him if I could put my gopro on his windshield while we went down. He said yes. I put it on his FJ Cruiser and we started our trip downhill.

Over 90% of the video is 2X the normal speed. But while you are watching it on youtuibe, you can change the setting to 1X for the normal speed.

I didn’t do Ophir this year. Driving through the deep snow banks is cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ITTOG

I have been under the impression only short wheelbase vehicles could do black bear pass. Thanks for the video showing otherwise. I guess my four door F150 would be able to make it.

Nice video's.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I have been under the impression only short wheelbase vehicles could do black bear pass. Thanks for the video showing otherwise. I guess my four door F150 would be able to make it.

Nice video's.

You did not read his description close enough. He was forced to turn around before he got to Black Bear Pass. Continuing down the switchbacks to Telluride would be very difficult in a long rig. It can and has been done but not without significant risk to damage on stock bumpers and rocker panels. Several of the switchbacks are so tight the only way around them is multiple cuts back and forth. The back bumper may take hits on the backing, the sides will come extremely close to big rocks just looking to eat your doors and up front you will be hanging your truck way out in space. It’s much easier with an experienced spotter. It can be done solo but I sure would not do it in a big rig. I’ve guided groups over Black Bear several times, but I would refuse a big rig.

ITTOG

Yes I missed that. I guess he went up and the video was after he turned around and headed back down?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Yes I missed that. I guess he went up and the video was after he turned around and headed back down?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Correct. The return drive is very mellow but also beautiful.

And this is the last video from my July 2019 road trip. This one is pretty long. It was a 1 hour driver, but I sped up a lot of the video to 1.8X speed and the video now is only about 28 minutes long.

This is a full video of the trail from Crystal Mill in Crystal, CO to Marble, Co. I have never seen a video on youtube of the complete trail and some people asked on youtube under some other videos that had a few patches of the trail for a full video, but nobody has a full video on youtube so far that i could find.

So, my video is a complete video of the whole 5.6 miles trail which took me 1 hour to complete. Not everybody likes such videos since it is basically of the whole trail from start to finish. But definitely a good video for people who hope to drive on that trail to go view the iconic Crystal Mill in Colorado. I personally like these types of videos and watch a lot of them on youtube.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior