Another Ram 3500 build...

blackdmax15

Observer
Awesome feedback! I think you're shifting issues will be resolved once you get re-geared.

How hard was the install of the Asfir skid plates? I know they're aluminum, but I figure for the usage a typical 3/4 ton will see (especially with an overland-oriented owner) they should be more than sufficient.
Also, how hard were they to get? Does anyone in North America distribute them or did you have to ship them from overseas?

The comment about the asfir skids were part of the future mods. I do not have them yet and haven’t ordered them yet either. I will let you know when I pull the trigger. Concur with your comments though as I don’t plan to take this behemoth down the rubicon, so logs and trail debris are my anticipated threat. The biggest issue I see is the DPF hangs down below everything including the frame rail.

Great looking rig. Re: bedliner vs BedRug. If you’re going to be throwing “crap” into the back then liner all the way. But I loved the BedRug in my Dodge, so easy on the knees and some measure of insulation. ?

ttengineer

Adventurer
If I recall, the Afsir skids do not fit a CCSB truck. They only fit CCLB (LWB) or a SCLB (SWB). They may have changed that but they use European standard trucks and I’m not sure they use the CCSB trucks over there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blackdmax15

Observer
If I recall, the Afsir skids do not fit a CCSB truck. They only fit CCLB (LWB) or a SCLB (SWB). They may have changed that but they use European standard trucks and I’m not sure they use the CCSB trucks over there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for that. I haven’t even called/emailed them yet. Kind of a bummer, but if time/funds allow I really want to do some aluminum with uhmw skids below them. Maybe dimple die the aluminum for strength. We’ll see as always things start going great and now my rental house AC went out so i’m About to fork over 8500+ to fix it. Good thing I don’t like holding onto money haha.

blackdmax15

Observer
I did a bunch of small updates today. Weather tech floor lines front and rear (yes over the vinyl floors) and weather tech full window reflectors for when I park the truck for dets/deployments. The fit was great for the window coverings. I put 2”x9” 3M safety tape (aka skateboard tape)on the WKO sliders. Stubby antenna and billet fuel cap and def cap and that was about it.

Still on the fence about bed rug. Last diesel truck had it with an ARE Z-series cap and it was perfect. It really helped slide gun cases etc into the back, but those cases also slid around as did Costco groceries... One weird thing I noticed about this Ram is that at the front of the bed on the outer corners, there is a 1/2-1/4” by 2” gap where one can see straight to the ground. The bedrug would seal that up and help with dust etc. Dust is main reason I am thinking bedrug. Again on last truck I used weather stripping on tailgate to seal the back and it worked great.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Yea my PW and my 2017 F-250 have those slight gaps, even after Line-X spray in bed liners. They help to drain water after rain, but they will most certainly let dust in when the bed is closed off with a topper of some sort. I am thinking about sealing mine from below with some sort of RTV once the Nuthouse rack, deck, and bed slide go on.

Dalko43

Explorer
Have you checked out the HD series of ARE caps? They're a fiberglass build, but with an internal aluminum skeleton. Supposedly more robust with higher weight-carrying capacity than the average fiberglass cap.

blackdmax15

Observer
Have you checked out the HD series of ARE caps? They're a fiberglass build, but with an internal aluminum skeleton. Supposedly more robust with higher weight-carrying capacity than the average fiberglass cap.
I did inquire about them as I had a Z-series cap before that I loved. The HD series are very expensive, plus I already ordered the truck with he Diamondback HD tonneau. I’m happy with he DB, but have to get creative with storing the ARB fridge, 37” spare, Springbar 10x14’ tent, table, stove, solo bonfire pit, sleeping bags for 5, 3xREI comfy cots and the children’s Disc-O-bed cot along with tools and all the various items camping with my family requires haha. Hindsight the cap would have been better for my situation, but I like the visibility of the DB and the ability to store wood and other dirty items on top.

Tacoma675

Nice truck! I like the vinyl on vinyl move. I have vinyl floors in my truck and it’s a really good idea to add floor Mats because it wears pretty fast.

Explorerinil

Observer
The had series is nice but I don’t care for the two tone look with line x, when I ordered my cz series I got the yakama rack, they had an option for a hd frame.

blackdmax15

Observer
The had series is nice but I don’t care for the two tone look with line x, when I ordered my cz series I got the yakama rack, they had an option for a hd frame.

Quick question for you, I just got a quote for gears and ARBs, and it was about 2k more than I expected. The one quote was 5600, the other was 5k and said he needed more info. What did just gear change run you ballpark? Trying to gauge in these San Diego shops are price gouging due to my request.

Explorerinil

Observer
Quick question for you, I just got a quote for gears and ARBs, and it was about 2k more than I expected. The one quote was 5600, the other was 5k and said he needed more info. What did just gear change run you ballpark? Trying to gauge in these San Diego shops are price gouging due to my request.
I bought my nitro gears from diesel power products, I highly recommend them. I have a friend that retired as a diesel mechanic from a dodge dealer, he opened his own shop. He quoted me $1400 for both axles with fluid, tax and everything else... out the door. After the install the total bill was spot on at $1400. Another shop quoted me $800 total, which raised a red flag to me. I went with my friend, I can’t remember how many hours he had, it was allot. Gears are quiet and everything was perfect when I left his shop. If you run nitro 4:30 gears, you will convert your 11.5 diff to an 11.8 ring gear, that said, some aftermarket diff covers won’t clear the larger ring gear. One lesson I learned, I thought all Aisin trans trucks had an 11.8 ring gear... that was incorrect, my SRW truck came with an 11.5 axle.

For the ARB you have to drill and run an air line, you will have more labor costs.

I am not sure what gears you are planning on running, with the lower gear of the Aisin trans, 4:30’s and 37’s make the truck perform better than stock, when ever I tow I really noticed difference, I really love the 4:30 gears.

Awesome build, good luck with your project, thanks for your service!

Ravenmad

Observer
I think close to 5K is about correct.
1450 for gears
2200 for ARBs
1600 for install and ring gear spacer.
plus you need a compressor and it needs to be installed.

The Ram axles are actually very easy to set up (ring and pinion wise), both the front and rear use side adjusters for the carriers (saves some time for sure), no more pesky pressing on and pulling of carrier bearings to install shims... I was told by my mechanic that the front axle, inner long side seal in an absolute pain and must be removed and replaced when you do a gear swap. I of course did not install the gears and can only repeat what my mechanic told me (grain of salt).... Gear swap, one of the best mods ever.....;)

blackdmax15

Observer
I went with a buddy today to CJC off-road and spoke with them about the gears. They recommended keeping the factory LSD rear and just doing gears. One of the owners even said some of the 3500s even come with LSD front diffs, but you won’t know until it is opened up. My build sheet only shows the LSD rear and the 11.5” axle, but I have the aisin transmission.

Explorerinil, can you definite performing better than stock? Does it just have more acceleration or better fuel economy? I’m pretty satisfied with the truck as is, but feel the gears would help the trans in 1st-3rd gear. Fuel economy has been well above expected so far so just nervous going to 4.30s will drop it back down. Thanks.

Explorerinil

Observer
I went with a buddy today to CJC off-road and spoke with them about the gears. They recommended keeping the factory LSD rear and just doing gears. One of the owners even said some of the 3500s even come with LSD front diffs, but you won’t know until it is opened up. My build sheet only shows the LSD rear and the 11.5” axle, but I have the aisin transmission.

Explorerinil, can you definite performing better than stock? Does it just have more acceleration or better fuel economy? I’m pretty satisfied with the truck as is, but feel the gears would help the trans in 1st-3rd gear. Fuel economy has been well above expected so far so just nervous going to 4.30s will drop it back down. Thanks.
CJC is where I go also. Your rpms are lower thank stock now that your turning larger diameter tires, your not in the power band anymore and your truck shifts allot more than it did stock. With 4:30 gears, my truck doesn’t shift near as much, is not sluggish off the line and has more throttle response due to the truck running back I; the power band. I run 2k at 80 mph, speedometer was recalibrated via hyper tech.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles