Another Ram 3500 build...

blackdmax15

Observer
Yeah I don’t know why I like the ass end higher, but the leveled look with the Ram body lines sloping just looks weird to me. I thought about an AEV winch bumper and 16.5 TI-S, but I really want to do a rear hidden winch mount and i’m Going to meet with a local fab shop next week to figure it out. Balancing out weight to rear should help with traction on and off road. I want more weight in the rear to keep it riding smooth as well. King size thanks for the link. I found it after I posted up earlier. I looked under the rear leaves and noticed 3xPlates. Almost like it has a spacer already? The three plates measure out to 1 1/4 inch. There is also another add a leaf I found online that claims 1.5” lift in the rear, but I don’t want to stiffen up the rear any.

Kingsize24

Yeah I don’t know why I like the ass end higher, but the leveled look with the Ram body lines sloping just looks weird to me. I thought about an AEV winch bumper and 16.5 TI-S, but I really want to do a rear hidden winch mount and i’m Going to meet with a local fab shop next week to figure it out. Balancing out weight to rear should help with traction on and off road. I want more weight in the rear to keep it riding smooth as well. King size thanks for the link. I found it after I posted up earlier. I looked under the rear leaves and noticed 3xPlates. Almost like it has a spacer already? The three plates measure out to 1 1/4 inch. There is also another add a leaf I found online that claims 1.5” lift in the rear, but I don’t want to stiffen up the rear any.

If he will do one, then ask if he would like to do two. Maybe he could lower the cost some that way. What winch did you have in mind?

Dalko43

Explorer
@blackdmax15, or perhaps @Bayou Boy can chime in on this: Is it true that the 3500 front end sits ~1" higher than that of a stock 2500? I've heard some aftermarket vendors claim that (Thuren I think) but I never got a tape measure out to confirm it.

If that's the case, is a 1.75" Thuren lift really a 2.75" lift (at least relative to a 2500 stock ride height)?

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
@blackdmax15, or perhaps @Bayou Boy can chime in on this: Is it true that the 3500 front end sits ~1" higher than that of a stock 2500? I've heard some aftermarket vendors claim that (Thuren I think) but I never got a tape measure out to confirm it.

If that's the case, is a 1.75" Thuren lift really a 2.75" lift (at least relative to a 2500 stock ride height)?

I think it does. I also have the Snow Plow prep package and I think that sits higher too. I know people are like, "what the hell does he need that for in South Louisiana?" It was the easiest way to get the front skid plate and a few other things that I wanted.

I just went to measure and my truck sits 26.5" front the hub center to the bottom of my Laramie flare on the driver side with the Thuren 1.75" coils installed. I have a Crew Diesel Laramie with a sunroof so it's about as heavy as they get.

If you guys are interested in comparing stock spring unloaded length we can do that too. Mine are sitting in my warehouse.

neduro

That’s good to know as I believe the OnX6 30” bar is well above that. Maybe the dual control each is under 65 watts. Anyone have a granite crystal or black front bumper with factory fog light holes?..

What I've done on my other trucks is run a relay for the lightbar, where the relay is triggered by tapping the stock high beam. This way, you have just one thing to do for an oncoming vehicle- slap low beam and all the brights go out.

Only downside is when you run for a while with full lighting, going to low beams only is like entering a dark room- can't see much!

ttengineer

Adventurer
The Carli full leaf pack is equivalent to a 1”rear lift, I believe AEV uses a 2” block to achieve the 1” lift in the rear, and Thuren says his full leaf lifts the rear ½”.

I think the difference in Thuren coils between the 2500 and 3500 are a ¼ to ½” in lift, it’s the same spring just different settle height between the 2 different models.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
What I've done on my other trucks is run a relay for the lightbar, where the relay is triggered by tapping the stock high beam. This way, you have just one thing to do for an oncoming vehicle- slap low beam and all the brights go out.

Only downside is when you run for a while with full lighting, going to low beams only is like entering a dark room- can't see much!

I would be extremely careful tapping anything for a signal with the Rams with the Canbus system. It is extremely sensitive to voltage and amperage and will light up the dash in a second if anything is out of spec. I ordered my truck with the factory aux switches which came with built in 25 amp relays just because I didn't want to have to tap stuff. If someone is buying a new Ram, I'd urge them to do the same. Your heated/cooled seats and steering wheel get moved to the screen but it's only 1 additional button press to activate them. No big deal.

blackdmax15

Observer
I measured from center of hub to bottom of flares and also got exactly 26.5”. I really do not want to do a block, but I question if a block is any less robust than the 3xMini blocks that are there from the factory? And removing 3 to replace it with one shouldn’t matter much. The leaf packs are all 1k or more. I don’t necessarily mind the money, but I would like it to ride nice. It rides great now, I just would like a little more rake nose down. When I measured from center rear hub to fender it was 26 1/4 to the flare. And I despise bro trucks that sit high in the front. Adding full kit will only increase the sag.

I have a 9.5XP laying around so I was going to see if this local fab shop could somehow weld a plate to the existing class V hitch. This would put a hundred pounds about as far back as possible to help the ride. My heart is set on the 16.5 TI-S, but going synthetic i’d Have to buy new pulleys etc. so i’ll Probably just stick with the XP as I have it and it has a lower profile that is easier to hide. I’ll call Carli and Thuren tomorrow to see what they say. May also call Cole at CJC and get their recommendation.

I do already have the upfitter switches, but the 30”bar from BD is 175 watts/15A and I can just wire it separately.

I attached a picture of what I want the rear winch to look like and a picture of the 3 mini blocks from the Carli add a leaf instructions. I wonder if a 2”and net me 3/4” lift. That should look about perfect.

Attachments

• 94F9CCCF-778A-4B90-A649-059A368BC554.jpeg
    94F9CCCF-778A-4B90-A649-059A368BC554.jpeg
    39.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 90E6E78F-6E35-49E5-B53C-171BD0EEFE14.png
    90E6E78F-6E35-49E5-B53C-171BD0EEFE14.png
    4 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Kingsize24

So it took a bit to get all the emails back and forth, but I just checked my email, and Mercenary Offroad said they could probably make our rear winch skids. There must be small differences in 3500 and 2500 setups, because he asked, but if wanted, I could ask him to do three.

I initially emailed Diesel Power Products, then they said it was a one off that Mercenary offroad did for them. So the emails back and forth took awhile. Sorry for the delay.

I don't have all the details yet, but I plan on getting into a phone conversation with him tommorow, or very soon to get those details. I assume the winch pulls from the center of the rear hitch, but it may come up higher behind the license plate. If so we could use a flip up plate with our bumpers. We will see!

I'm still interested in seeing what your local contact says blackdmax!

Make it three lol! I have so much wasted open space back there now with the spare and all of its components gone. I'd love to put a rear facing winch in its place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94